Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC .45

Post imported post

Hello, in the next couple of weeks I'm going to be signing up for a CC class. I have a couple of handguns currently, a Sig Pro 2022 9.mm and a Taurus .38 snub ultra-lite. I'm not a very big guy. I'm like 5'8" and a buck 60 with piano player hands so the Sig isn't going to be easy for me to conceal here in the upcoming TX heat. The Taurus I see as more of a back up gun so I'm looking into getting a .45. I've had some financial issues come up recently so my price range is going to be between 400-500 bucks.

I went to a gun store about a month ago and played around with a Ruger P345 and liked the way it felt in my hands. It's a little slimmer than the Sig so I could conceal it a little easier. I thought about maybe an XD but I haven't seen one that falls into my price range. I'm not a big fan of Glocks. I've owned a couple and just don't prefer them. I'm also considering one of the Taurus millenniums.

Anyone care to offer some advice on these or other models that I'm over looking? Maybe some pros and cons to those models I've mentioned? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Post imported post

I'm 5' 8" and 150 and conceal a combat commander .45. I have small hands and short feet too, but that's my wife's problem. Works great for me and I picked it up for $500 even.

Post imported post

A compact 1911 might be the way to go. The 1911 is a pretty skinny pistol, and with a short barrrel it would conceal well.

Here's a review of the Rock Island Armory 1911:

http://journal.drfaulken.com/rock-is...-model-review/

Post imported post

second on the RIA .45, I have had and carried mine for several years and have had no problems with it. I installed a set of "slim grips" on it when I got it and it conceals very well.
    Good luck on your search, I've put my $.02 in...
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

I just picked up a Taurus PT145 Pro this weekend. It's fairly small, light, and so far quite accurate and fun to shoot as well. I paid $349 for it new in the box.

Post imported post

Kahr CW45?

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    A compact 1911 might be the way to go.* The 1911 is a pretty skinny pistol, and with a short barrrel it would conceal well.

Here's a review of the Rock Island Armory 1911:

http://journal.drfaulken.com/rock-is...-model-review/
    +1 on the RIA. I love mine to death.

+100 on finding some one else who reads Dr. Faulken.

Post imported post

One thing to keep in mind is that most folks who carry the 1911 carry it cocked with a round in the chamber and the safety on. Otherwise it must be carried either hammer down, no round in the chamber OR hammer down with a round in the chamber which I (never having owned one) am given to understand greatly increases the possibility of an AD if the piece is dropped. Everyone I knnow who carries the 1911 tells me when I mention this that if I "keep my booger hook off the bang switch" the safties will do the rest. But safties are mechnical devices and can fail ( as evidenced by the Walther recall; where it was found that engagement/disenggement of the safety can fire the weapon in some cases). Nonetheless, if you carry a 1911 cocked and locked it is your foot, not mine.

Anyway, I have been hearing good things about another Walther product, the PPS; which is available in .40 SW as well as 9mm. It would probably be a better fit for you, it can be carried safely with one up the spout, and it is made in GERMANY AND NOT BY S&W UNDER LICENSE so you won't be having to return it in a year because the ing safety is dangerous.

Post imported post

Wow, hey thanks for the imput guys! Well, today I got my carry piece. Looks like I'll be joining the cocked and locked crowd...

I picked up a High Standard Crusader Compact. It's a pretty sweet little 1911. I got it for 450 so I am pretty happy. I can't wait to got to the range! Lol, I still have some self-defense ammo from back when I owned my Kimber and USP.

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    1911, never having owned one.
    safeties are mechanical devices and can fail

as evidenced by the Walther recall; where it was found that engagement/disengagement of the safety can fire the weapon in some cases
    Nonetheless, if you carry a 1911 cocked and locked it is your foot, not mine.
    Comparing the safety on these firearms is like comparingpoop to gold.
    They work in different ways.

By your own admission you aren't (completely)familiar with the gold standard.:P

I'm have owned or currently own both designs.

[line]
    There are many quality/concealable .45's available for $500.

Try several at a near by gun range then make an informed decision.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

My wife and I both carry Taurus PT145's. $362.00 ea, comes with two 10 round mags each. Just purchased them 3 weeks ago. Nice and compact.
    Dave
    http://www.survivalfox.com/
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom". - John F. Kennedy, former U.S. President

Post imported post

Here's an interesting review of your new 1911.

http://www.gunblast.com/HighStandard-Compact1911.htm

Post imported post

I'm facing this same question.. I'm not really a 1911 guy (don't get me wrong, I love them, just not to carry for whatever reason, sorry!) and my P220 is too big for summer CC.. I'd rather not move to another cartridge as I'm already heavily invested in reloading materials and components for .45.. I looked at the P220 Carry model, the Glock 30 and the Glock 36, as well as the 1911 Commander-style, and a S&W compact .45. To me, the Glock 30 felt the best, was the most controllable and had the best pricetag. The double-stack magazine compensated a bit for the shorter grip in my hands, and the accuracy out to 10-15 yards was very acceptable for its intended purpose..

I understand you found the one you like, congrats! I figured since I'm researching this exact topic today also, I'd just offer my 2 cents..

Post imported post

Hey Chris, thanks for the link!

Yeah BD, you gotta mainly go with what feels best. Well, that and something you can afford too. I also think everyone should have at least one .45 too. Glocks are ok, actually they're damned fine weapons, but I just don't care for them that much. I guess part of it is I like seeing the hammer vs. the striker. That being said, an XD was an option for a carry piece as well. I used to have one in 9mm back when HS Arms were making them. The XDs are a little more ergonomic so you may want to check one out if you haven't.

Also, like I mentioned earlier one if the pistols I was looking at was a Ruger P345. That one feels pretty good to me too. And as we all know how it fits you is one of the most important things. I really was looking into getting something other than a compact 1911 when I set out on my quest for a new companion when I came across the one I did. I swear, it was love at first sight. Lol, the guy at the shop and I got to talking about 1911s and I started missing my Kimber. He pulled out the full sized Kimber he carried(he was a big dude) and after holding a couple of other compacts and service .45s, I went with the 1911. Man, I soo can't wait to get out to the range and put some holes in paper. It's been way too long since I've had a .45.

Anyway man, let us know what you end up getting! Good luck!

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, if anyone lives near the Waco, TX area and is looking into aquiring any new firearms, PM me and I'll give you the number of the guy I went to. He's a lot cheaper than a lot of places I've been to. He runs his shop out of his house so he can afford to sell things cheaper. He's an FFL.

One last thing, anyone else have a hard time field stripping the compact 1911s? It took me like 30 minutes to get the guide rod out.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

TehGruu wrote:
    snip....
    One last thing, anyone else have a hard time field stripping the compact 1911s? It took me like 30 minutes to get the guide rod out.
    Go into small bathroom, close door and all drains, sit down on the commode lid, practice cursing with mouth twisted to the side - repeat often - after several dry runs it'll get easier.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    TehGruu wrote:
    snip....
    Go into small bathroom, close door and all drains, sit down on the commode lid, practice cursing with mouth twisted to the side - repeat often - after several dry runs it'll get easier.
    Actually, I found it pretty easy right away. The cursing, I mean. OTOH, field stripping the EMP was a bitch until I made a tool from a pen barrel that works pretty well. Here's a pic:

Slips onto the guide rod with the slide retracted, then it is held on the guide rod by the recoil spring tension, and acts as a handle to extract the rod and spring assembly. Works just as well for reassembly.

Sorry about the iMac camera quality.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

architect wrote:
    Actually, I found it pretty easy right away. The cursing, I mean. OTOH, field stripping the EMP was a bitch until I made a tool from a pen barrel that works pretty well. Here's a pic:

Slips onto the guide rod with the slide retracted, then it is held on the guide rod by the recoil spring tension, and acts as a handle to extract the rod and spring assembly. Works just as well for reassembly.
    New product? Might make your fortune.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Dude, I think Grapeshot's onto something man.

Post imported post

Yeah, the Patent Office is right in Alexandria. You oughtta git down there and register that invention (call it Colt 1911-type pistol guide rod extracting tool, I guess). Do it fast, as other entrepeneurs read this thread. Me, f'rinstance, and I only live 1/2 mile from the PTO. Not that I would but I am sorely tempted. "Thou shalt not steal", however and that includes me.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    New product? Might make your fortune.
    I don't think it would be much of a fortune. It would cost less than a dime to make even in small lots, and you could probably get a couple of bucks for it retail (that means $14.95 at Dillon of course), but the distribution costs wouldn't leave much margin.

The tool in the picture works fine on the Springfield EMP, but I suspect dimensions would be different for each 1911 model. And you don't need it for classic 1911's with a spring plug or barrel bushing in any case, only those new-fangled bull barrel, bushingless pieces.

But if anyone has a Kimber, Para, Colt, etc. they want to lend me, I'll be happy to make them one. Might take me a couple of months to get around to it though! And, oh yeah, I'd need ammo too. I mean after all, can't test it on a clean gun! document.write('[img]/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif[/img]');[img]images/emoticons/big_grin.gif[/img]

Post imported post

Making something for a dime and selling it for multiple dollars is what the big boys do all the time. You don't have to actually MAKE the tool in production. Just get the patent and sell it to Kimber or whoever. Play your cards right and you could sell the rightss for $5,000 to $50,000. All you need is to secure the RIGHT to make it and sell it. And it really is not all that hard. There must be patent attorneys somewhere who will work on contingency (for a good idea)

Post imported post

try looking for a Bersa uc .40, or .45. Firestorm mini 40 or 45 are Bersas branded for the US. Well made handguns, very reliable and accurate. Lifetime warranty out of a gun shop in Colorado. A .40 or .45 can be had for 350-400 bucks with all of the quality of a Sig or a Glock, but not the fancy name-or the pricetag that goes with it!

Post imported post

Think of how much is your life worth? I carry only .45's either 1911 or SIG's 220;s For carry My Dan Wesson CBob is great.
    S/F Vic

Post imported post

TehGruu wrote:
    I'm not a very big guy. I'm like 5'8" and a buck 60 with piano player hands so the Sig isn't going to be easy for me to conceal here in the upcoming TX heat.
    I've found by experimenting at home (the only legal place for me to conceal) that I can hide my P220 down a side pocket of one of my 2 sizes too big pants I use for work. I am sized about an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than you, so we are similarly shaped.

You can also modify a pocket by cutting the bottom, and stitching in new fabric to make it deeper. Similarly, you can wear a longer, more baggy shirt to cover the handle if it's protruding. I don't think I'd carry a gun chambered in this manner, but if I had to conceal in hot weather, that's probably how I'd do it.

What I definitely wouldn't do personally is get a smaller gun just because I have to conceal it. I want the ability to aim well, I want full capacity, and I want the biggest round I can reasonably carry.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

How about this .45, It is a Dan Wesson CBOB
    S/F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast