• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC .45

TehGruu

imported post

Hello, in the next couple of weeks I'm going to be signing up for a CC class. I have a couple of handguns currently, a Sig Pro 2022 9.mm and a Taurus .38 snub ultra-lite. I'm not a very big guy. I'm like 5'8" and a buck 60 with piano player hands so the Sig isn't going to be easy for me to conceal here in the upcoming TX heat. The Taurus I see as more of a back up gun so I'm looking into getting a .45. I've had some financial issues come up recently so my price range is going to be between 400-500 bucks.

I went to a gun store about a month ago and played around with a Ruger P345 and liked the way it felt in my hands. It's a little slimmer than the Sig so I could conceal it a little easier. I thought about maybe an XD but I haven't seen one that falls into my price range. I'm not a big fan of Glocks. I've owned a couple and just don't prefer them. I'm also considering one of the Taurus millenniums.

Anyone care to offer some advice on these or other models that I'm over looking? Maybe some pros and cons to those models I've mentioned? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

partyncwby

imported post

I'm 5' 8" and 150 and conceal a combat commander .45. I have small hands and short feet too, but that's my wife's problem:lol:. Works great for me and I picked it up for $500 even.

bugly

imported post

second on the RIA .45, I have had and carried mine for several years and have had no problems with it. I installed a set of "slim grips" on it when I got it and it conceals very well.
Good luck on your search, I've put my $.02 in...

Logan80

imported post

I just picked up a Taurus PT145 Pro this weekend. It's fairly small, light, and so far quite accurate and fun to shoot as well. I paid $349 for it new in the box.

Spectre

Alexcabbie

imported post

One thing to keep in mind is that most folks who carry the 1911 carry it cocked with a round in the chamber and the safety on. Otherwise it must be carried either hammer down, no round in the chamber OR hammer down with a round in the chamber which I (never having owned one) am given to understand greatly increases the possibility of an AD if the piece is dropped. Everyone I knnow who carries the 1911 tells me when I mention this that if I "keep my booger hook off the bang switch" the safties will do the rest. But safties are mechnical devices and can fail ( as evidenced by the Walther recall; where it was found that engagement/disenggement of the safety can fire the weapon in some cases). Nonetheless, if you carry a 1911 cocked and locked it is your foot, not mine.

Anyway, I have been hearing good things about another Walther product, the PPS; which is available in .40 SW as well as 9mm. It would probably be a better fit for you, it can be carried safely with one up the spout, and it is made in GERMANY AND NOT BY S&W UNDER LICENSE so you won't be having to return it in a year because the :cuss:ing safety is dangerous.

TehGruu

imported post

Wow, hey thanks for the imput guys! Well, today I got my carry piece. Looks like I'll be joining the cocked and locked crowd...

I picked up a High Standard Crusader Compact. It's a pretty sweet little 1911. I got it for 450 so I am pretty happy. I can't wait to got to the range! Lol, I still have some self-defense ammo from back when I owned my Kimber and USP.

Marco

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
1911, never having owned one.
safeties are mechanical devices and can fail

as evidenced by the Walther recall; where it was found that engagement/disengagement of the safety can fire the weapon in some cases
Nonetheless, if you carry a 1911 cocked and locked it is your foot, not mine.
Comparing the safety on these firearms is like comparingpoop to gold.
They work in different ways.

By your own admission you aren't (completely)familiar with the gold standard.:p

I'm have owned or currently own both designs.

[line]
There are many quality/concealable .45's available for $500.

Try several at a near by gun range then make an informed decision.

bdodds

imported post

I'm facing this same question.. I'm not really a 1911 guy (don't get me wrong, I love them, just not to carry for whatever reason, sorry!) and my P220 is too big for summer CC.. I'd rather not move to another cartridge as I'm already heavily invested in reloading materials and components for .45.. I looked at the P220 Carry model, the Glock 30 and the Glock 36, as well as the 1911 Commander-style, and a S&W compact .45. To me, the Glock 30 felt the best, was the most controllable and had the best pricetag. The double-stack magazine compensated a bit for the shorter grip in my hands, and the accuracy out to 10-15 yards was very acceptable for its intended purpose..

I understand you found the one you like, congrats! I figured since I'm researching this exact topic today also, I'd just offer my 2 cents.. :)

TehGruu

imported post

Hey Chris, thanks for the link!

Yeah BD, you gotta mainly go with what feels best. Well, that and something you can afford too. ;) I also think everyone should have at least one .45 too. Glocks are ok, actually they're damned fine weapons, but I just don't care for them that much. I guess part of it is I like seeing the hammer vs. the striker. That being said, an XD was an option for a carry piece as well. I used to have one in 9mm back when HS Arms were making them. The XDs are a little more ergonomic so you may want to check one out if you haven't.

Also, like I mentioned earlier one if the pistols I was looking at was a Ruger P345. That one feels pretty good to me too. And as we all know how it fits you is one of the most important things. I really was looking into getting something other than a compact 1911 when I set out on my quest for a new companion when I came across the one I did. I swear, it was love at first sight. Lol, the guy at the shop and I got to talking about 1911s and I started missing my Kimber. He pulled out the full sized Kimber he carried(he was a big dude) and after holding a couple of other compacts and service .45s, I went with the 1911. Man, I soo can't wait to get out to the range and put some holes in paper. It's been way too long since I've had a .45.

Anyway man, let us know what you end up getting! Good luck!

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, if anyone lives near the Waco, TX area and is looking into aquiring any new firearms, PM me and I'll give you the number of the guy I went to. He's a lot cheaper than a lot of places I've been to. He runs his shop out of his house so he can afford to sell things cheaper. He's an FFL.

One last thing, anyone else have a hard time field stripping the compact 1911s? It took me like 30 minutes to get the guide rod out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
snip....
One last thing, anyone else have a hard time field stripping the compact 1911s? It took me like 30 minutes to get the guide rod out.
Go into small bathroom, close door and all drains, sit down on the commode lid, practice cursing with mouth twisted to the side - repeat often - after several dry runs it'll get easier. :)

Yata hey

architect

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
TehGruu wrote:
snip....
Go into small bathroom, close door and all drains, sit down on the commode lid, practice cursing with mouth twisted to the side - repeat often - after several dry runs it'll get easier.
Actually, I found it pretty easy right away. The cursing, I mean. OTOH, field stripping the EMP was a bitch until I made a tool from a pen barrel that works pretty well. Here's a pic:

Slips onto the guide rod with the slide retracted, then it is held on the guide rod by the recoil spring tension, and acts as a handle to extract the rod and spring assembly. Works just as well for reassembly.

Sorry about the iMac camera quality.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

architect wrote:
Actually, I found it pretty easy right away. The cursing, I mean. OTOH, field stripping the EMP was a bitch until I made a tool from a pen barrel that works pretty well. Here's a pic:

Slips onto the guide rod with the slide retracted, then it is held on the guide rod by the recoil spring tension, and acts as a handle to extract the rod and spring assembly. Works just as well for reassembly.
New product? Might make your fortune.

Yata hey

Alexcabbie

imported post

Yeah, the Patent Office is right in Alexandria. You oughtta git down there and register that invention (call it Colt 1911-type pistol guide rod extracting tool, I guess). Do it fast, as other entrepeneurs read this thread. Me, f'rinstance, and I only live 1/2 mile from the PTO. Not that I would but I am sorely tempted. "Thou shalt not steal", however and that includes me.

architect

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
New product? Might make your fortune.
I don't think it would be much of a fortune. It would cost less than a dime to make even in small lots, and you could probably get a couple of bucks for it retail (that means $14.95 at Dillon of course), but the distribution costs wouldn't leave much margin.

The tool in the picture works fine on the Springfield EMP, but I suspect dimensions would be different for each 1911 model. And you don't need it for classic 1911's with a spring plug or barrel bushing in any case, only those new-fangled bull barrel, bushingless pieces.

But if anyone has a Kimber, Para, Colt, etc. they want to lend me, I'll be happy to make them one. Might take me a couple of months to get around to it though! And, oh yeah, I'd need ammo too. I mean after all, can't test it on a clean gun! document.write('/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif');
big_grin.gif