• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Alert: Contact your legislators to voice support for open carry!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

WISCONSIN: Anti-Gunners Taking Aim at Wisconsin's Second Amendment Freedoms!
Governor Jim Doyle (D) is proposing to repeal the state's preemption statute which prohibits localities from passing gun laws that are more restrictive than the state's. Wisconsin's preemption law was originally passed in 1995 when Doyle was Attorney General. Doyle was vocally opposed to statewide preemption and its passage left a bitter taste of defeat in his mouth that has never gone away. Now, Governor Doyle is using the arrest of law-abiding Wisconsin citizens exercising their constitutional right to openly carry a firearm for self-defense as a platform to call for its repeal. Please contact your state legislators TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose any attempt to repeal the state's preemption statute. Also ask them to oppose any attempt to restrict the open carrying of firearms by law-abiding citizens. Your State Senator can be reached by phone at (608) 266-2517. You can reach your State Representative at (608) 266-1501. To identify your legislators and to find more contact information, please click here.
Wisconsin Attorney General Voices Support for Open Carry On Monday, April 20, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen (R) released an Advisory Memorandum of great interest and importance to Wisconsin's law-abiding gun owners. The Attorney General's memorandum states that it is not unlawful to openly carry a firearm in the state of Wisconsin and that those persons who choose to do so should not be charged with disorderly conduct. This issue has come up numerous times over the last several months in the Badger State. Several cases have been heard but not a single judge has found reason or precedent to prosecute these law-abiding citizens. To read Attorney General Van Hollen's Advisory Memorandum, please click here.

imported post

If the NRA (negotiate rights away) were truly concerned about OC in Wisconsin, wouldn't Wayne LaPierre be leading, personally, an OC march on the Milwaukee police headquarters?
Why not?
Isn't JPFO actually headquartered in Milwaukee?
Where's Larry Pratt, Alan Gottilieb and the rest of the so-called leaders of the gun rights community?
Anyone?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
If the NRA (negotiate rights away) were truly concerned about OC in Wisconsin, wouldn't Wayne LaPierre be leading, personally, an OC march on the Milwaukee police headquarters?
Why not?
Where's Larry Pratt, Alan Gottilieb and the rest of the so-called leaders of the gun rights community?
Anyone?
The address is a few miles West of Cedarburg, something I didn't know. Thank you.

The John Birch Society is also in Wisconsin.

Swampbeast

imported post

Why not?
Anyone?

You sound like the Pharisees when they attacked Jesus. The NRA simply can't do anything right can they? When they don't act, people talk bad about them. When they do act, well thats bad too cuz they don't do exactly what you wanted! Ya just can't please some people

This is a clear example of the NRA standing up for our open carry rights! So maybe Wayne La Pierre isn't walking down the streets of Milwaukee in protest. Are you?? You don't send your general to the front lines!

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Following is a email I sent to my State legislators. I recommend each of you send something similar to your legislators. We must strike first. Feel free to copy my email if you feel it is suitable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The preemption statute 66.0409 was enacted in 1995. In short the statute prevents local governments from incorporating firearm laws more strict than state laws. Governor Doyle was at that time Attorney General and was vigorously opposed to preemption. In spite of his opinion the bill for preemption was passed. Governor Doyle has had a bitter taste in his mouth for preemption to this day. It was recently displayed April 27 when he responded to Attorney General Van Hollen's confirmation that Wisconsin residents do have a constitutional right to carry open firearms under the umbrella of Article I section 25 of the Wisconsin state constitution. That right was adopted in 1998 and was confirmed in 2003 by the Wisconsin supreme court in State v. Hamdan. It was also confirmed by the Department of Justice prosecutors in that same case. For some unexplained reason the fact that Wisconsin people have the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, as expressed in AG Van Hollen's memorandum, came as a complete surprise to many state legislators. To me it is absolutely absurd that those very people that are in charge of upholding our constitutional rights do not know what those rights are.

The shock and awe felt by those legislators has spawned an anti-gun sentiment and vow to strip us of our constitutional right to open carry firearms. Spurred on by perceived support from Governor Doyle certain Democrat legislators are moved to repeal the preemption statute as part of that infringement.

In the event that the preemption statute is repealed it is likely that under Article I section 25 and SSC rulings in Hamdan any local ordinances adopted to regulate carry of firearms would of themselves be unconstitutional. They would be unconstitutional because the SSC has ruled that although the amendment itself is subject to reasonable regulation, the State must provide a manner by which the activities contained in Article I section 25 can be exercised. It made that ruling in Hamdan. Also, in Hamdan, the Court stated that the legislature made the concealed carry statute (941.23) a strict liability. Only a peace officer can go armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon. It stated the liabilityextended to the activities contained in the right to keep and bear arms amendment. With those facts in mind the Court stated that the only reasonable alternative is visible carry.

If local communities enact ordinances that prohibit open carry of weapons and the State prohibits concealed carry of firearms, our constitutional rights to keep and bear arms are infringed. The residents of those communities prohibiting open carry would have no means to exercise Article I section 25.

When anti-gun legislation comes to a vote in the legislature I hope that you will remember and consider my comments. Constitutional rights are too hard won and fought for to squander because of social discomfort.

Respectfully,

xxxxxxxxxxx

imported post

Actually, the NRA (negotiate rights away) CAN do something right.
However, history has proven they have chosen not to, for debatable reasons.

As we speak, I'm pricing new tires for the Freedom cycle (already!) in the event I choose to ride to Milwaukee.

History is ripe with examples of military greats who DID lead from the front.
It instilled confidence in the troops. Besides, I seriously doubt the Milwaukee thugs will actually shoot Wayne LaPierre. After all, he is one of "them."

Keep writing those letters to your so-called "public servants," I'm sure ya'll got 'em running scared.

rodbender

imported post

Squid13 wrote:
Cowboy_Rick wrote:
What happened to TEXAS? We were over 60,000.
Damn good question! Why does the great Lone Star State still have less freedom than most other states?

We have a bunch of weenies in the legislature. That, and it got torpedoed byMike Guzman atSCCC and heprobably had some help fromsomeone atTSRA.

They only meet 140 days every other year. It appears that they spend a couple of months or so socializing and partying, then claim they don't have enough time to get much done.

Rick Perry could and should call a special session to make them address the matter, but he won't. Not important enough issue.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Swampbeast wrote:
This is a clear example of the NRA standing up for our open carry rights!
You're kidding, right?

All the NRA did was post a news story about the issues in WI right now.

They haven't stepped up to the plate of those getting arrested and wrongfully charged with disorderly conduct, nor have pushed for new legislation for either concealed or open carry, nor have even come out in favor of what JB Van Hollen said.

All the while, NRA supporters have been pleading for attention, and have been getting none.

The NRA is turning a blind eye to Wisconsin right now, and their shunning us is something we won't forget when dues bills come.

KS_to_CA

imported post

Mike wrote:
Now, Governor Doyle is using the arrest of law-abiding Wisconsin citizens exercising their constitutional right to openly carry a firearm for self-defense as a platform to call for its repeal.
Guess who will not be Governor next time around.

Carry on Wisconsin.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Swampbeast wrote:
Why not?
Anyone?

You sound like the Pharisees when they attacked Jesus. The NRA simply can't do anything right can they? When they don't act, people talk bad about them. When they do act, well thats bad too cuz they don't do exactly what you wanted! Ya just can't please some people

This is a clear example of the NRA standing up for our open carry rights! So maybe Wayne La Pierre isn't walking down the streets of Milwaukee in protest. Are you?? You don't send your general to the front lines!
Many good generals have indeed been at the front of the charge.