• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denial of 2nd and 14th Amendment Rights

coldshot

imported post

I realize that this is an open carry forum, but I could really use some help, and advice concerning an unconstitutional and highly unethical denial of a CCW Permit. I am a 100% service connected Disabled American Veteran and I am unable to defend myself as well as I once could. To get to the point, I am being denied a renewal of a CCW permit based entirely on my service connected disabilities. Ido not now, nor at any other time in my life everhad a criminal record. This Civil Deputy is using the onlything that she could to deny me, since I don't have a criminal record.As I said before I was denied a renewal permit, I actually possessed a CCW permit from Feb. 1998 until feb. 2002. My renewal was denied but my permit was never revoked. My permit was issued by a different deputy than the one that denied my renewal, that is the major contributing factor. There is more to this but I would like to get a little feedback if possible before continuing.

Ok. Let me get to the real irony of this situation. I am 55 years old. I have been disabled for 23 of those 55 years. My disabilities do not prevent me from being highly proficient with a handgun. My disabilities are musculoskeletal and physiological. There are no mental illness issues at hand.According to N.C. General Statutes-Article 54B, Chapter 14-415.12-- Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit, paragraph (a), I meet all of the criteriafor the issuance of a permit and I do not fall under any of the disqualifying critria described in paragraph (b) of Chapter 14-415.12.

On the application for a CCW permit, question #2 asks: Are you ineligible to own ,possess,or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law. Now this is why I said the difference between the deputy that issued my permit in 1998 and the deputy that denied my permit on Feb. 16, 2007is a major contributing factor. I knew 3 months in advance that this new deputy was giving people a hard time that were applying for a permit over just minor, trivial issues andnot being able to prove that you were qualified to own a firearm was one of her excuses, but a legitimate one in fact. So I applied for and received a pistol purchase permit datedOctober 16, 2006 and it isvalid untilOctober 16, 2011. And as I had been told, I did in fact have to prove that I was qualified to own a firearm. When I showed her the valid pistol purshase permit approved and signedby her boss, the county Sheriff, I could almost see the steam rolling off of her face. After I finished the application process and was preparing to leave, I told her thank you and to have a good day, and not in a sarcastic manner either. But the look she gave me went right through me and she would'nt even speak to me. And she treated me like this just because I was prepared for whatever might come up. I knew right then that she was going to deny the renewal again, and 4 months to the day of the date on my approved pistol purchase permit, she denied me again.

I possess a DOD issued ID that allows me access to any unrestricted U.S. Military installation in the world for the rest of my life. If the United States Government trusts me with national security I think I can be trusted to possess another stinking CCW permit. And what really gets my goat is the only thing that I did wrong was being severly injured while serving my country. There is an appeal process but you need to have an attorney to do it. I can not even get an attorney in this town to even return my calls, much less explain my situation and why I might need their services.

So that is it. How can I get an attorney to present my case; and that is all that would be required since I have done all the research and built the case to exercise my 14th Amendent Right to equal protection under the law? Thank you.

coldshot

imported post

FBI Agent: Yes I am a distinguished member of the NRA because of myDisabled AmericanVeteran status.I have also been a member of Gun Owners of America and the Second Amendment Foundation. The only assistance I have received from the NRA and Gun Owners of America is access to their Lawyer Referralservice. I called the attorney that the NRA recommended and I ended up hanging up on him because he acted as if he knew more about what was going onwith my particularsituation than I did. I was trying to explain the circumstances surrounding my complaint and he was constantly talking over me and forcinghis infinite wisdomon me, and this was the first and only time I had ever had a conversation with him. Plus he was the most rude and obnoxious person I had ever had the misfortune to talk to.

The Gun Owners of America gave me a referral for an attorney. I had to leave a message(actually twice) and this guy never bothered to call me back. I never got the chance to explain my situation to him at all.

The Second Amendment Foundation told me that they would contact me with a referral and I have yet to hear from them. I never got the chance to discuss my situation with them either.

Obviously, my post caught your eye,otherwise we would not be discussing it now. I have all the documention related to this miscarriage ofjustice. I can prove what I am saying. If not, I would nothave wasted the last couple of years building a case against these people.But there is some humor that can be attributed to this situation.A portion of the evidence that I can use against these people actualy came from them.

I am not of the welfare mentality trying to get rich in this litigous society. My 2nd and 14th Amendment rights are being violated and I want justice. But I am not rich or famous soin my humble opinion It appears Ido not deserve justice even though my 14th Amendent Right says Ideserve theequal protection of the laws.I didn't just fall off of the turnip truck yesterday. Thank you.coldshot

topgearrally

imported post

coldshot, keep us informed and let us know if you've had any luck getting help with this. It's a shame that our elected think they can treat us anyway they want. I'm sure everone on here has seen the Home Land Security report, just being a veteran puts you on that list. It's a shame the direction this country is headed. I just want you to know that i'm proud of you and thank you and everybody else that has served this country honorably. My son is in Afganistan for a 2nd time and for what? I'm sorry everone for getting off the subject, just venting. :cuss:

coldshot

imported post

topgearrally: first of all, I wish to thank you sir for your most kind and timely compliments not just formyservice to America,but for all of us that have served honorably in the military of this great nation, especially your own son. I fully understand your frustation related to the situation that your sonhas been placed into by this government that considers us all "Right Wing Extremists" because we "volunteered"to serve our country. And as far as I am concerned, you have every right to vent your feelings and frustrations andif itis any consolation to you sir, when you feel the need to blow off some steam just click on my name,I can't honestly say that I know exactly how you feel, but Iprobably know better than most.

I am in contact with a gentleman in New Orleans that has taken an interest in my plight. As you can see in my other posts, I have tried to reach out to the very people that have convinced themselves that they are protecting my Constitutional Rights. Not only have I received no help from these people, I can't even get the attention of anyone that could help me right here in this state. Iwould attribute that to theassumption that evidently,I am not important enough to advance anyone's political agenda!!! I am in the process of retrieving information I have in my computer to email him sincehe has a policy of not receiving regular mail.

Please sir, don't take my posts to be sarcastic in any manner because that is not the way I intend forthem to come across. I am being dealt a losing hand here and I am expressing what I "believe" to be the truth in some remarks and what I absolutely "know" to be the overwhelming truth in others. I will gladly keep you informed of any progress if you so wish. I feel it may take a little time but I am used to that at this point.Obviously, I do not know your son, but I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers, as well as yourself and all of our Patriots serving in harms way.I thank you very much for the opportunity to communicate with you. coldshot
:banghead::cuss:

chiefjason

imported post

Coldshot, that's not good to hear. If you are disabled and became so in defense of our country and possess the mental capacity to carry then it should not be any of their business!

Keep in mind that NC is a SHALLissue CCP state. If you passed the class, meet the qualifications, and don't meet any of the disqualifications then they have no choice but to issue. At least that's the thoery.

Keep in mind I am no lawyer. I'm also a determined pain in the rear cheapskate! I would go down and ask to meet with the Sheriff with the GS 14-415.12 and ask why you do not qualify. Formality, and probably won't work. Then I would send a letter certified return receipt if the face to face did not work and request an explanation. I would also be on the phone, email, and letters to state rep's offices. Do you have a pro 2a state or US rep? I also see no reason why you would need a local lawyer to do this if it got that far. Get an out of town guy and go for the permit and damages!

Your sheriff has a boss somewhere, either a county board or a state level assoc. I would be all over them, email, phone, etc.

I am at a loss for how they think you ar OK to purchase but not ok to conceal. I would seriously think about telling her that if they continue to not issue your renewel that you were going to excercise your NC Constitutional right to OC! Tell them you would prefer to CC, but would do whatever you had to to protect yourself.

Best of luck. Thank you for your service. Please Pm me your county, for my own interest.

coldshot

imported post

chiefjason-- Please check your inbox. Oh, there is one other thing on my mind you said in your post: "That's the Theory"--but not in my case. The main problem here is, if I may quote Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke: quote: what we have here is a failure to communicate. end quote. They will not meet me face to face because they are wrong and I am right and they know it!!!!!!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

coldshot wrote:
snip..............
I am in contact with a gentleman in New Orleans that has taken an interest in my plight..................... I am in the process of retrieving information I have in my computer to email him sincehe has a policy of not receiving regular mail.
Unusual, strange even.

Most attorneys, advocates, negotiators want/require hard copies and do not want their email boxes filled with hundred of pages of documents.

Wonder what is behind this?

Yata hey

coldshot

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
coldshot wrote:
snip..............
I am in contact with a gentleman in New Orleans that has taken an interest in my plight..................... I am in the process of retrieving information I have in my computer to email him sincehe has a policy of not receiving regular mail.
Unusual, strange even.

Most attorneys, advocates, negotiators want/require hard copies and do not want their email boxes filled with hundred of pages of documents.

Yata hey

As I posted" I am in contact with this gentleman[emphasis added]in New Orleans" which means just that. We have"VERBALLY" discussed this situation, he is fully aware of the extent of theinformation thatI"WILL"email to himper his instructions and at this point there is no need for hundreds of pages of documents to fill his inbox, toinitiate an enquiry. Also, as I stated previously, he does have a policy of not receiving regularmail, but not from me. Iconveyed to him that I do not trust the Postal Service,justifiably,and as I said before he instructed me to email the information to him if I felt more comfortable with that method,andthat wayhe could have it in his possession as soon as possible, which just so happens to bewhat I prefer. For one to insinuate that this arrangement is "unusual or even strange", well that accusationis not evenopen to debate. Still "wonder what is behind this"? The answer to that accusation is very simple: Confidentiality between associates. No law against that, considering the fact that theinformationbeing transmitted pertains to specific law.Thank you for responding to my post. coldshot

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

coldshot wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
coldshot wrote:
snip..............
Unusual, strange even.

Yata hey

As I posted" I am in contact with this gentleman[emphasis added]in New Orleans" which means just that. We have"VERBALLY" discussed this situation, he is fully aware of the extent of theinformation thatI"WILL"email to himper his instructions and at this point there is no need for hundreds of pages of documents to fill his inbox, toinitiate an enquiry. Also, as I stated previously, he does have a policy of not receiving regularmail, but not from me. Iconveyed to him that I do not trust the Postal Service,justifiably,and as I said before he instructed me to email the information to him if I felt more comfortable with that method,andthat wayhe could have it in his possession as soon as possible, which just so happens to bewhat I prefer. For one to insinuate that this arrangement is "unusual or even strange", well that accusationis not evenopen to debate. Still "wonder what is behind this"? The answer to that accusation is very simple: Confidentiality between associates. No law against that, considering the fact that theinformationbeing transmitted pertains to specific law.Thank you for responding to my post. coldshot
My, my are we being a bit sensitive and defensive? I made no accusations nor insinuations.

My observations/comments were genuine and not designed to provoke.

You stated that he has a policy of not receiving regular mail. This I found at best "unusual." Then I wondered why this might be = what is behind this.

Sorry that you took umbrage at an innocuous posting. This is an open forum where you will have people asking questions, sometimes looking for clarification and sometimes probing to the point.

If you are looking for a 100% approval rating or blind acceptance to what you post, you will likely be disappointed. Hope you are able to relate to this in the spirit in which it is intended.

BTW - Trust that you are aware that email transmissions are considerably less than secure.

Yata hey

coldshot

imported post

Gray: thanks for the tip. I read Dave's workin Gun Week. Very informative.The more ears I can put the bug in, the better for me-hopefully. I have alsotalked to 2 other Firearms Safety Course instructors besides the one that I took both ofmy courses under. They both told me the same thing about the peoplethat I am dealing with. For one thing they said I should not have had to take the second course since my instructoras well as myself have proof that I took and passed the first one. And, the way this deputy runs her operation, there is no need to try to negotiate with her. She literally makes you pay for her mistakes, meaning that if she denies you, you have to go to court to try to get your permit, just part of the appeal process.Then when you consider that all the district court judges around here are anti-gunners, guess who they are going to side with. I am not the only one that she has denied for reasons that are notviolations of the law. She is abusing her authority and should be removed from her position.Classic case of money for nothing!!! Sorry for rambling on, just blowing off some steam. Thanks again. coldshot

coldshot

imported post

Grapeshot: this is not the first open forum that I have posted to. I am not looking for 100% approval or blind acceptance or run a pity party withany of my posts. So I would appreciate it very much if you don't try topatronize me. If you read my initial post, I think you would see that I posted here to possibly receive tips, advice, opinions, etc.But what I took from your post, and I call it like I see it, you were notinterestedin my post, but more the way Iconduct my bussiness, which is absolutely none of your concern. As far as how I choose to forward information,I would rather fold it up into a paper airplane and try to fly it to New Orleans myself than to use the Postal Service. Also, I am very much aware of the security issues surrounding email. Onemore thing, I am not so sensitive or thin skinned that I cannot accept constructive criticism when intended as such. Before I started posting on this site, I read a lot of interesting and informativeposts from a lot of different people. And since I started posting, I have had some good natured conversations as well as receive somegood information. That is why I like to post in here. If I wanted to be embroiled in constant contraversy in an open forum, I could do that on the rag site right here at home. But I don't.I enjoy communicating with people that share the sameinterests and concerns that I do, and I intend to keep it that way.

coldshot

imported post

Gray, I talked to Dave Workman today. I told him that you referred me to him. He said he was going to give you a call and talk to you about the post I made in here. I hope you don't mind. He sounded interested in this. I think he wants to know where to find my post, so if you could steer him in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks again for the tip. coldshot

coldshot

imported post

Codename_47- yes I could. I could qualify for a CCW permit in any state in the country that issues them. Except for the county that i reside in. Plus if you reference NC General Statute Article 54B, it says in section 14-415.12, paragraph (4)--the applicant has successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course which involves "the actual firing of handguns" and instruction in the the laws of "this" state governing thecarrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force. The post in here about the Utah CCW permit says it is a 6 hour lecture only course. That being the case, these people that I have to deal with in this county would find a way to circumvent a non resident CCW permit and I would go to jail. I already have paid for two permits plus two training courses and have nothing toshow for it. There is a matter of principle involved here for me to beat these people at their own game. That principleis my driving force, because a victory without principle isnot a victory at all, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for responding to my post. Coldshot