Thread: Just turned 18!

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Post imported post

Hello, this is my first forum post. I have been reading on the sight for a while, and I am getting quite pumped to open carry! I have just bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk (.44) from my dad and will soon be acquiring a 9mm of some sort. I live in northern El Paso county, and was wondering if anyone has experience with OC in this area. From what I have heard, our Sherrif is very pro-gun. I will carry with my sidearm a digital voice recorder to use if I am stopped by police. I do understand my rights and I will not take any crap from anyone, in a respectful manner of course. Also, is my young age probable enough cause to require I show my idetification, and should I carry a bill of sale with me, being as I am only just 18?

Thanks! :celebrate

Post imported post

hansolo wrote:
    Hello, this is my first forum post. I have been reading on the sight for a while, and I am getting quite pumped to open carry! I have just bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk (.44) from my dad and will soon be acquiring a 9mm of some sort. I live in northern El Paso county, and was wondering if anyone has experience with OC in this area. From what I have heard, our Sherrif is very pro-gun. I will carry with my sidearm a digital voice recorder to use if I am stopped by police. I do understand my rights and I will not take any crap from anyone, in a respectful manner of course. Also, is my young age probable enough cause to require I show my idetification, and should I carry a bill of sale with me, being as I am only just 18?

Thanks! :celebrate
    Being that you are 18, YES, it would be wise to carry a form of ID in order to verify age. (Reasonable suspicion for an officer questioning you would be that you appeared to be under age to open carry.)
    As for location, El Paso County is VERY pro gun. Other than the fact of your age appearance, (young looking) I don't really see any problems with you open carrying.
    (Unless, of course, you have intentionally not disclosed certain parts of your background. But that's another discussion, and as of current, a purely hypothetical statement.)

For more answers on legal questions, Rocky Mountain Gun Owners is a very good place to start looking.

http://rmgo.org

Good luck, stay safe, and happy OCing!!!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

albritton77 wrote:
    Being that you are 18, YES, it would be wise to carry a form of ID in order to verify age. (Reasonable suspicion for an officer questioning you would be that you appeared to be under age to open carry.)
    +1

I wouldn't refuse to ID given your age although I would ask the office to state his/her reasonable suspicion.

Post imported post

+1

I wouldn't refuse to ID given your age although I would ask the office to state his/her reasonable suspicion.
    Agreed.

Post imported post

I have no criminal background and I have never had any detentions or anything at school. I have no problems giving ID, but I will inform them they I do not have to. I am familiar with that site, thank you though. Thanks for the replies!

Post imported post

hansolo wrote:
    I have no criminal background and I have never had any detentions or anything at school. I have no problems giving ID, but I will inform them they I do not have to. I am familiar with that site, thank you though. Thanks for the replies!
    As I said....
    "hypothetical."

Take care, and happy OCing!

Post imported post

I first started OCing when I was 18 as well so I know your situation well. I never had any problems with the police stopping me or anything like that so hopefully you wont either.
    "There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

Post imported post

I'm sure your good to go. Stay aware and safe.

Post imported post

Cool beans! Glad to hear that.

Post imported post

This is a good point. Anyone could be said to "look" like a criminal (biker image, tats, mullet). These basis are discriminatory and unfair. Acting like a criminal would be sufficient cause, but not looking like a criminal. Appearance is far too subjective. Actions must therefore be used objectively.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Just a question. Would "Well, he looked like a criminal" be reasonable suspicion for an officer to require ID to check the record of an individual openly carrying a firearm? What if hansolo wasn't carrying any ID because he didn't have to? Why is a person's appearance all of a sudden a requirement for ID?
    "Looked like a criminal" doesn't hold water in court.
    "Looked or appeared under-age" DOES.

Holds the same legal pretense as requiring ID in order to purchase tobacco or alcohol.

Post imported post

That is why I will definitely have ID with me.