• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I just turned 18!

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

I am new to the forum. I have just become a legal adult and am embracing my citizenship with open carry. I plan to be armed everywhere I go. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk (.44) and will soon get a 9mm. I have a voice recorder as well, and I know my rights ad laws. My location is northern Colorado Springs. Any advice that you think I should have?

"The Preservation of Liberty Through the Oppostion of Tyranny" :celebrate

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mind your manners when around other people. Always be polite and curtious while OC'ing in public. If you are in the habit of wearing a hat/cap, tip it when you meet the ladies and take it off when your at the eatin' table.

The anti's like to throw up the "Wild West" dogma when it comes to OC. Let's show them what the Old "Wild West " was really like and bury em with politeness.

I like to call this stragegy, Operation Wild West.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congratulations and Happy Birthday.

OC carries with it a few responsibilities - most are related to not stampeeding the flock. You can generally figure out how softly to tread by counting the number of people near you who look like :shock:eek:r :what:eek:r :cuss:. You might want to do a search for OCDO member ED's Open Carry business card and think about doing up one for Colorado. The cards have been put to good use here in Virginia as a way of creating positive interactions with folks who wonder about the legality or tactical benefits of OC.

Glad to see another ambassador out there.

stay safe.

skidmark

2a4all

imported post

hansolo wrote:
I am new to the forum. I have just become a legal adult and am embracing my citizenship with open carry. I plan to be armed everywhere I go. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk (.44) and will soon get a 9mm. I have a voice recorder as well, and I know my rights ad laws. My location is northern Colorado Springs. Any advice that you think I should have?

When I was 18 (almost 60 years ago), my grandfather would frequently tell my mother that "You can't put an old head on young shoulders." as he listened to her lament my (sometimes) impetuous actions. (Majority was 21 then.)

Of course, I didn't see myself quite that way, but in retrospect, there was validity to her concerns. Fortunately, the most legal trouble I had was losing my driver's license because of too many speeding tickets.

I had a hunting license before I had a driver's license and I never even considered handling my shotgun as casually as the family car. It's likely due to the familiarity we all had with cars, and the infrequent contact with firearms (everyone we knew drove, but almost no one owned a gun).

Now I carry everywhere (OC/CC) for personal protection.

My advice would be "carrying to avoid becoming a vic carries the risk of becoming a perp.". Take a Concealed Carry class (even though you can't CC yet). You may get some interesting perspectives.

Welcome to OCDO.

hansolo

imported post

2a4all wrote:
hansolo wrote:

When I was 18 (almost 60 years ago), my grandfather would frequently tell my mother that "You can't put an old head on young shoulders." as he listened to her lament my (sometimes) impetuous actions. (Majority was 21 then.)

Of course, I didn't see myself quite that way, but in retrospect, there was validity to her concerns. Fortunately, the most legal trouble I had was losing my driver's license because of too many speeding tickets.

I had a hunting license before I had a driver's license and I never even considered handling my shotgun as casually as the family car. It's likely due to the familiarity we all had with cars, and the infrequent contact with firearms (everyone we knew drove, but almost no one owned a gun).

Now I carry everywhere (OC/CC) for personal protection.

My advice would be "carrying to avoid becoming a vic carries the risk of becoming a perp.". Take a Concealed Carry class (even though you can't CC yet). You may get some interesting perspectives.

Welcome to OCDO.

I do see your concerns. I have been brought up with guns, and had my hunting license before my drivers license as well. I treat both the automobile and the gun with their well deserved respects, as they are quite powerful and deadly. I will never let myself get out of control. I believe that I well out rank my peers as far as wisdom, and exhibit more self control than any person I know. I fear no man; I carry to protect the liberties of the country, oppose tyranny, and protect others.

Alexcabbie

imported post

If you plan to be "armed everwhere you go" then you should be aware that this will land you in VERY hot water if you are armed in say, Our Naton's Capital, that Cradle of World Liberty; where everyone is safe because no guns are allowed in public.

Yes indeedy, and there is no place on Earth safer than the National Mall near the Smithsonian, where the Politzei patrol and nobody has a gun because everybody is a tourist and everyone is out to have a nice outing. Or it was, until a couple years ago some goblins figured out that the Mall was a nice soft target full of unarmed victims. And so it was that a couple years ago about five of these lowlifes decided to stalk prey on the "preserve" as it were. In the worst incident, they herded a whole family into the shadows and took turns at the 14-year-old daughter while the others held the family at gunpoint. I cannot imagine what the father felt like as he heard his daughter's cries for help, the animal telling her "shut up, bitch!" and not being able to do anythng but pray that either they would be satisfied and leave or that the cops would happen on the scene. I cannot imagine what the father-daughter relationship is like now. The DC Government response?

Delegate Elanor Holmes Norton expressing outrage that the punks had violated the "Federal Mall Truce", the unspoken agreement that the bad guys would not assault the tourists. :banghead:

Now as for me I drive a taxi in Alexandria, that delightful suburb. And I drive at night. And I am armed. And I often have to drive into DC, where as soon as I cross the Big Muddy I become a felon if caught with my pistol. So when I am armed and driving the cab, I never EVER even talk about firearms. I get an anti in the cab who brings the subject up, I swallow back and say "well, I figure when my time is up it is up" or some other boilerplate arglebargle. You have to be careful, and you have to be polite, and you have to back down when needed.

Because when you are armed, there is a firearm present at every confrontation: YOURS. I used to get really angry at the idiots I encountered, the confrontation led to complaints. Then I started carrying on duty. The Ops manager recently congratulated me on my "new attitude" and asked wherefore it came. I could have just opened up my jacket and exposed my weapon, but instead I just said, well, I guess you mellow as you get older".

Being armed makes you very humble, if you are at all smart. When I am armed, I would sooner sing the Soviet National Anthem with a goddamned Communist than get into a shouting match, because who knows where that will lead, especially with a goddamned Communist?

If you are going to be "armed everywhere you go", you had better keep what I have written here in mind. And I do not think there is one person on this forum who would disagree.

YllwFvr

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
If you are going to be "armed everywhere you go", you had better keep what I have written here in mind. And I do not think there is one person on this forum who would disagree.

I disagree with everything this person had to say! Its baseless drivel!

Jk I had to go there!:D

Lots of good advice here. Glad to have you at OCDO. Be safe, have a cool head.

Another bit of advice: Try not to let yourself get into a situation where you may have to decide wether to use it or not. Now Im not talking about some punk coming up and demanding money, though you can sometimes spot them coming and keep such things from progressing. I mean rather an argument that turns heated, like Alex spoke of, or an altercation between groups that could spill in your direction. As fun as it is to watch, its better to keep away.

Eyes wide open and aware. Getting tunnel vision is a bad idea. I sometimes get poked at by the missus because I dont pay enough attention. Well dear thats because this is a rough crowd and id rather see em coming before they grab your purse.

Complacency is just another form of laziness, and its easy to fall into that rut. Im always dragging myself out of it.

Best of luck to you. Keep us informed on how it goes!;)

hansolo

imported post

Thanks guys! And like I said, I have control of myself and will not get involved just because of my firearm; it will not make me do something I otherwise would not do. Unless of course a life can be saved. I do not plan to break the law, and will probably not be in D.C. again for a long time.

In case any of you have not read these quotes, they are awesome. These are the sum of my carry beliefs:

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
- George Washington

There is something so far-fetched and so extravagant in the idea of danger to liberty from the militia that one is at a loss whether to treat it with gravity or raillery. Where, in the name of common sense, are our fears to end if we may not trust our sons, our brothers, our neighbors, our fellow citizens? What shadow of danger can there be from men who are daily mingling with the rest of their countrymen and who participate with them in the same feelings, sentiments, habits and interests? What reasonable cause of apprehension can be inferred from a power in the Union to prescribe regulations for the militia, and to command its services when necessary, while the particular states are to have the sole and exclusive appointment of the officers? If it were possible seriously to indulge a jealousy of the militia upon any conceivable establishment under the federal government, the circumstance of the officers being in the appointment of the states ought at once to extinguish it. There can be no doubt that this circumstance will always secure to them a preponderating influence over the militia.

The best we can help for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.

- Alexander Hamilton

Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense.
- John Adams

The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
- Thomas Paine

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.
- Patrick Henry

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A wise man will always have reservations concerning his own wisdom, and will spent much of his life trying to improve andfine tune it. In the end, he will still question it.

Just my own observation.

thx997303

imported post

Every 18 year old thinks he's wiser than the next.

Just remember that backing down is not always a cowards act. In many cases it's the real man who lets it be.

Lord_Kalen

imported post

Id really , strongly recomend starting OC with a leather flap holster on a cross draw , there easier to carry in a non alarming way and there a buffer both physical and phsychological between your gun and your hand . and when your hands are at your side orgoing into your pockets they will avoid the gun butt

I still strongly prefer the style for OC , and In truth the practice could save your life They draw planty fast enough and arent likely to let your gun slip out or be easily seized

Rereading your posts let me reiterate , Start with a Leather Crossdraw , Calvary style flap holster And Id stick with the revolver

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hansolo wrote:
I have picked up a nice holster and wear it cross draw. Its frickin huge when I wear it! I am 6'2 190lbs and the Super Blackhawk is massive on me. I think a 9 would be easier to carry and draw less attention.
I carry a SA .45 Long Colt 5.5" barrel in a cross draw. I'm 6'1 @ 235lbs. Mine doesn't seem that big at all.