• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to start to Open Carry

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Hi guys... brand new here, just a few posts for my new gun (Ruger SR9) but I haven't start OCing yet... yeap, it's hard to believe I live in AZ and didn't start yet. I think I am going to start soon when I am riding (my Harley) to and from Scottsdale Gun Club for range practices... but I think I will wait for my CCW license for full time carry and that's my question actually:

How did you start OC? You just put on your belt and walk out? How about family, what did you say to them, or friends... if nairbourgs saw you with it? How did you feel the first time, and how long it took to get used to it. I am going to make my gun part of my life. I am thinking to carry it like I carry my motorcycle license, daily… That’s the idea actually getting the CCW license, to carry my gun all the time.

Well, any comments and suggestions welcome here... I like to read what you guys gonna say about my "first time shy"ness.

Prophet

imported post

I started by concealed carrying...then i wondered to myself, why do i need this silly little license in order to exercise my god given right so I just Virginia tucked my shirt and been OC'ing ever since. The initial blow back from crooked cops only galvanized my resolve. If I didn't need my LTCF to carry while driving I wouldn't have it at all.

First time I OC'd I had the PA pamphlet with me in case someone either hassled me or just was curious. Since I can now recite the pamphlet almost verbatim I don't carry them any longer and if anyone asks I answer their questions and then direct them to this site if they want to learn more. Maybe I was a bit nervous but that quickly dissapates when you think about it. I mean, I don't get nervous when I do anything else that's legal like voice an opinion, drive a car, shop etc.

My family doesn't seem to mind my gun toting though they don't live in Pittsburgh. My friends at first asked that I unload it when I'm over there houses but once they got comfortable that went the way of the dodo. I could care less about what my neighbors think. If they don't break the law and I don't break the law its pretty copacetic.

Good luck on your OC adventures.

Oh, and a word of advice, know the law, know your rights and stand firm for both of them when questioned or harrassed by civilian or cop.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You're in Arizona? Strap on your gun belt and go about your business. You can open carry w/o an AZ CWP. You can OC in your vehicle as well.

Art 2 Sec 26 AZ Constitution: 'The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves or the state shall not be impaired." That's all there is to it.

There is no local preemption anywhere. Nobody sez squat. No explainations required. This isn't IL. Don't pay any attention to the Kommiefornians up there. Change your profile location. You may want to consider joining the AZCDL and the AZ forum. Open carry has been a way of life in Arizona since before there was an Arizona.

http://www.xboxjedi.com/defense/

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From all I've read on this forum over the years, it appears VA and AZ are pretty similar in their attitudes towards guns in general and OC in particular. (I've been to Arizona many times, and my brother used to live in Prescott. Great place.)

OC/CC, I think you will be nervous at first, and that is pretty natural, even when you know you have the law on your side. We have been programmed for decades in the country to believe it is socially unacceptable, the actual law notwithstanding. That's why I think it is especially important for citizens in the states where it is legal, to exercize that right before it becomes extinct. Do it! The more you do, the easier it gets, until it become mundane and no-big-deal to you, your family, friends and neighbors. We have a silly law here that says you can't CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol even if you have a permit !! This is one reason so many of us OC in restaurants. ("The law says we have to. We're just being law abiding") Check out some of our threads on OC in various cities and districts in VA. They get boring because they all say pretty much the same thing: "Went here or there and had no problems."

I don't know if you all have OC dinners out there, but its great to go out somewhere with a bunch of like minded people. OC'ers tend to be nice folks. If thats available to you out there, try it. It will make you comfortable real quick.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
...I don't know if you all have OC dinners out there, but its great to go out somewhere with a bunch of like minded people.  OC'ers tend to be nice folks.  If thats available to you out there, try it.  It will make you comfortable real quick.

I think me and my wife need to go to one of these meetings/dinners, to make ourselves more comfortable getting that close to weapons :dude:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Not a lot of that happening... not that I know of. No reason to. Any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises is a no-no anyway in AZ (for the time being). For my wife 'n I... carryin' is just a part of gettin' dressed. I OC more than she does... (in fact I OC 99% of the time) just 'cause I don't wear baggy nuthin' or jackets... 'cept in the winter or durin' the monsoons(such as that is...). We're out in the desert... so it's kind'a dif'rint that the cities... but when I go into Marana or Tucson, I'm heeled. It's just normal. My wife's from Chicago, but she's always carried since she escaped.

RTKBA is a cultural thing in AZ... 'has been forever. You'll get used to it.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

First I read an awful lot on this and other boards, then read a bunch of my state's laws before I OCed the first time. I began to do it often enough that my wife became concerned I was changing into someone she might have a problem with. For her peace of mind I compromised and got the dang CHP. I still OC, but not as much as I used to - usually when I've put on a few pounds and the IWB doesn't fit comfortably. ;)

Dahwg

imported post

100% agree with Sonora... you won't get harrassed by cops- I've just never heard about it, and Tucson tries its hardest to be like San Francisco, but still never even had anyone blink. Most people don't even notice.Strap it on and go about your business- I bet within 3 days of your first time OCing, you won't even bat an eye.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
...my wife became concerned I was changing into someone she might have a problem with...

Yeap, same here. But I don't care. I told her I will carry same as I ride my Harley... Daily. Can't wait to get my CCW license so she shouldn't be worrying that much.

I keep having conversations with friends and for me I see nothing wrong to carry loaded gun, but since guns designed to harm, freaks everyone else out... understandable ;) I have to look at this like first time shaving my head (I do have lots of hair) and go out. It'll take some time to get used to :)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

OC/CC 9mm wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
...my wife became concerned I was changing into someone she might have a problem with...

Yeap, same here. But I don't care. I told her I will carry same as I ride my Harley... Daily. Can't wait to get my CCW license so she shouldn't be worrying that much.

I keep having conversations with friends and for me I see nothing wrong to carry loaded gun, but since guns designed to harm, freaks everyone else out... understandable ;) I have to look at this like first time shaving my head (I do have lots of hair) and go out. It'll take some time to get used to :)
In AZ... it's a CWP... Concealed Weapons Permit. That said... pray tell 'where' do you intend to conceal it (esp. in the summer)? And... after you conceal it... how do you intend to get at it? The ankle carry in the boot trick leaves you hoppin' on one leg 'n anything else required excessive clothing. This IS Arizona dude... Nobody is gonna be freaked about anything. Leave all your Peoria phobias back in IL.... Cowboy up 'n LIVE IT. We open carry here... it's what we (some of us) do. No 'permission' required... it's a RIGHT!

Dahwg

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
In AZ... it's a CWP... Concealed Weapons Permit. That said... pray tell 'where' do you intend to conceal it (esp. in the summer)? And... after you conceal it... how do you intend to get at it? The ankle carry in the boot trick leaves you hoppin' on one leg 'n anything else required excessive clothing. This IS Arizona dude... Nobody is gonna be freaked about anything. Leave all your Peoria phobias back in IL.... Cowboy up 'n LIVE IT. We open carry here... it's what we (some of us) do. No 'permission' required... it's a RIGHT!

Sonora's right, it actually is a CWP contrary to what lots of Arizonans call it (note it is Arizonans lots of people like to add an i there.)- Just looked at mine again to verify.

And while I do OC about 80% of the time there are advantages to having your CWP. First of all, you can skip the Brady check and secondly you can carry in city parks finally and really of little value in the great state of Arizona, is the ability to ignore the asinine 1000' school limit imposed by the feds. If SB1270 passes there will be TONS more reasons to obtain it, at this point however I'm not even sure it's going to be heard! :cuss:

The weather should dictate your attire, not your sidearm- like Sonora said- in the 117 degree heat you don't to have to wear any more clothing than you have to. The only time I CC is at church and in the winter when it gets cold. Welcomeone of the last cornersof the world where you still have rights!

:monkey

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC/CC 9mm wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

I don't OC as much as I would like to because my wife is uncombable with it, that's why I CC most of the time. But if we go out to eat at a restaurant that serves alcohol, then she knows I have to OC. I don't want to break any law here in Virginia.;)

AZkopper

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Step 1: Apply sidearm outside of clothing.
Step 2: Go about your business.

+1. Just do it. It will feel 'naughty' at first, but you will learn to take your Rights for granted after a few times.

Be careful about OC in your car, however, the Adams decision muddied they waters on OC in the car being CC. Most LE won't press it, if they even know case law, since the statute as written says that a firearm in a holster is OK in a vehicle.

Sure, a CWP is nice for carrying in those places that could cause a stink if you OC'd, or for when the situation is appropriate, but like the Sonora and the others said, Just OC. It's AZ and no one cares. Hell, I casual carry in most restaurants--alcohol selling or not--and NO ONE CARES, at least up here in God's Country (now, granted, I am 'permitted' due to occupationally statuted laws, but THEY don't know that). I've seen others OC in alcohol serving restaurants up here, and again, NO ONE CARES.

As far as the 1000 foot school zone federal law, I do not know of one city or county agency that gives two hoots about it. AZ has there own school/gun law, and that is all that matters.

exgabrit

imported post

Ironic that in Augusta GA, there is a gun range the other side of the street from a school. pretty sure it's barely 100 ft, let alone a 1000.
In Georgia, the code says that you may drive past a school if less than a 1000 ft, live within a 1000 with a gun, and if you are in the process of performing a business function, such as delivering goods, you may carry not only within a 1000, but on the property itself (last item double check, but thats how the GA code read)

AZkopper wrote:
FogRider wrote:
Step 1: Apply sidearm outside of clothing.
Step 2: Go about your business.

+1. Just do it. It will feel 'naughty' at first, but you will learn to take your Rights for granted after a few times.

Be careful about OC in your car, however, the Adams decision muddied they waters on OC in the car being CC. Most LE won't press it, if they even know case law, since the statute as written says that a firearm in a holster is OK in a vehicle.

Sure, a CWP is nice for carrying in those places that could cause a stink if you OC'd, or for when the situation is appropriate, but like the Sonora and the others said, Just OC. It's AZ and no one cares. Hell, I casual carry in most restaurants--alcohol selling or not--and NO ONE CARES, at least up here in God's Country (now, granted, I am 'permitted' due to occupationally statuted laws, but THEY don't know that). I've seen others OC in alcohol serving restaurants up here, and again, NO ONE CARES.

As far as the 1000 foot school zone federal law, I do not know of one city or county agency that gives two hoots about it. AZ has there own school/gun law, and that is all that matters.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

Somehow I feel like celebrating. First day OCing :p

Felt pretty good and cool (I know we don't carry guns just to look cool, but it does feel cool anyways)

Went to Harley store, saw my buddies there. I don't even know if anyone noticed it. There is a sale going on today, they were pretty busy. Went in and got me a new goggles. Then I biked to local gun shop to get some 9mm ammo... goooood luck on that one. The guy told me time has changed, everyone has changed. Ammos are going the same hour they go out to the shelves. This sucks!

Anyways, did my first OC (No, my wife doesn't know yet. I will tell her when she comes back from work)

I think I will be carrying it more often now...

:dude:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good on you, OC/CC. With that kind of screen name, you really have to OC to be honest about it. I'm glad, but not surprised that you had no problem. I didn't expect that you would, but I remember my first few times pretty well; there was some anxiety about it, and most folks would admit the same thing. Keep up the good work and get to the point where it becomes natural and common-place. It is your right, which is why many people get a lettle "high", a liberated feeling when they actually start exercising a right that has become uncommon and a bit atrophied.

I'm pleased you're with us !