• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BG Kroger on Scottsville Rd

fox689

imported post

Alright, so I'm out with a friend and a roommate getting food for today at Kroger. About 30 minutes in, I notice a manager is looking at me from across the isles while we're walking down the end. We head up through the frozen food section and he's looking right at me walking very cautiously and trying to confirm that I'm carrying. He walks past and then turns to talk to me.

SM - Store Manager
Me - Legally Carrying

SM - "Do you have a permit for that?"

Me - "I don't require a permit to carry."

SM - "You don't require a permit to carry?"

Me- "To openly carry in the state of Kentucky there is no permit required. If I were conceal carrying that would be a different story, but I'm not."

SM - "Is this a normal thing for you? Do you live in Bowling Green?"

Me - "Yes and Yes. I've been carrying for about 3 months now."

SM - "Well if I require you to have a permit to be in my store..."

Me - "You can ask me to leave, but you can't issue me a permit just because I enter your store. That's a state thing. But I would rather you let us finish our shopping."

SM - "Well, we haven't had any customer complaints yet, just another employee brought it to my attention, so I'm not going to ask you to leave, but next time you come in here, just check with me about the law. I'm going to check it out, although I'm sure you've done your homework."

Me - "Not only did I check this state but I checked most of the surrounding ones for what they have in order to stay legal."

SM - "Ok, well, I'm going to let you finish shopping."

Me - "Alright! Thank you."

I'd just like to point out that inside I'm shaking nervously because I've spent too much time not dealing with people in the last year the entire time. I'm surprised I didn't immediately leave and let my friends finish they're shopping while I set in the car calming down, but I just pushed through it.

Also, I was wondering if we have a KY leaflet. I'm realizing a need for those now that I've ran into two(2) persons of private property authority that either want to hassle potential problems or just don't know the law.

chris in va

imported post

Wow, looks like you're a real magnet for this sort of thing.:? Definitely get the statutes printed up and hand those out instead of having to explain yourself every time.

It's too bad, OC is much easier to deal with than having to hide it all the time.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

fox689 wrote:
Alright, so I'm out with a friend and a roommate getting food for today at Kroger. About 30 minutes in, I notice a manager is looking at me from across the isles while we're walking down the end. We head up through the frozen food section and he's looking right at me walking very cautiously and trying to confirm that I'm carrying. He walks past and then turns to talk to me.

SM - Store Manager
Me - Legally Carrying

Me - "For what?"

SM - "Your gun."

Me - "Why would I need a permit for a gun?"

SM - "Uhhhhhhhhhh.................."

SM - "Don't you need a permit for a gun?"

Me - "Sounds like you been watchin' too much tv." "When was the last time you read up on Kentucky law?"

More:

Me - "Are you from Kentucky?"

Me - "How do you carry your gun when you go out with your family?"

Me - "How does your wife feel about you not protecting her?"

Always put the question back on the questioner. Make him feel like his manhood is suspect, which, obviously, it is.

Now steal me a 'Vette out the back door.

fox689

imported post

Haha, I wish I had thought of these at the time. I'm always on the defensive when I am confronted for my presence creating a safer environment. Plus, I'm just not used to people who think they know it all automatically assuming that I'm a potential problem.

Honestly, if these people thought I was dangerous I'd be talking to the police instead. They're just giving me a hard time because they feel they can. I honestly thought about telling him at the time that Wal-Mart didn't give me these problems and that I shopped there because I assumed it to be a more friendly environment. Then followed up with a "But I guess I thought wrong..."

Also, if you want a 'Vette, come and buy one. I'm sure the car company would welcome the sale :p

smoking357 wrote:
fox689 wrote:

SM - Store Manager
Me - Legally Carrying

Me - "For what?"

SM - "Your gun."

Me - "Why would I need a permit for a gun?"

SM - "Uhhhhhhhhhh.................."

SM - "Don't you need a permit for a gun?"

Me - "Sounds like you been watchin' too much tv." "When was the last time you read up on Kentucky law?"

More:

Me - "Are you from Kentucky?"

Me - "How do you carry your gun when you go out with your family?"

Me - "How does your wife feel about you not protecting her?"

Always put the question back on the questioner. Make him feel like his manhood is suspect, which, obviously, it is.

Now steal me a 'Vette out the back door.