• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Franklin

Birdhunter

imported post

My first time OC'ing in Wisconsin was today. I was at the Home Depot on South 27th Street in Franklinand it was boringly uneventfull (which is good, IMO). While I got a couple of glances towards the pistol, I was not questioned about it. I made a couple of purchases and left.

Not much of a story, really, but thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has been OC'ing in Milwaukee County.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Excellent birdhunter! As I just mentioned in another thread, you are doing your part to make the public aware and inspiring confidence in others who read these threads!

I don't have any errands to run today but think I might just go walk through walmart to OC and spread the movement. ;)

smithman

imported post

Hugh makes a good point and has inspired me to comment again.

Even though I may not have an urgent errand to run somewhere, its worth my time to spread the movement of OC at a store, 15 minutes at a time.

Max

imported post

As Mike from opencarry.org suggested, don't linger. Shop like a man normally does, get your stuff and then get going. Don't stop to preach to anyone about open carry. I think that every person that sees another with a gun and no incident begins to feel a bit more comfortable for the next time they see an open carrier. Not to mention they more then likely tell someone else about their experience where NOTHING HAPPENED.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Max wrote:
NOTHING HAPPENED.
These two words says it all.

later that day over dinner:

Wife: Honey, I saw one of those open carry people today at the store.

Husband: Really, what did he do?

Wife: He just came in and bought some strawberries and milk, and then left.

Husband: Humph.

Kid Number 1: Daddy, what is open carry?

Husband: That's the only way people can carry guns in Wisconsin - out in the open so everybody can see it. It's a right in the constituton.

Kid Number 1: Oh.

Kid Number 2: Daddy, can you teach us to shoot at the range some day?

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC'd into Lowes off Rawson...
Talked with a couple associates about fencing and weed killer. I did get the biggest reaction since I've been carrying from one employee, he was a younger fellow, maybe in his low-20's. His eyes almost popped out of his head, then he went back for a second take and they almost came out again. I said, "Hi, how's it going?", he said "good" and kept going.

I find that when they look shocked you are best off politely saying hello to ease the situation...

After that happened I continued to shop for about 45 minutes, got several items, checked out and left without incident.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC'd at Lowes on Rawson/27th St.
I had to return some materials from a recent fence installation. I helped a couple employees unload the lumber and palette that I was returning from my trailer, and was at the return desk for about 10 minutes.... no issues, comments, or weird looks....

Carry on!