• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should I OC this?

arms_libertas

imported post

If you're being sarcastic, it's hard for me to to detect it.

If you're not, how could you possibly OC that? I haven't come across any holsters for AR pistols yet. If you have one, give it a try, but if you're considering OC'ing a loaded AR pistol with a single point slight (or some other kind of sling), you're headed for trouble, IMO.

One of the main reasons a loaded pistol doesn't warrant alarm is that it's in the holster and not being handled/touched.

just_a_car

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
No, I have one,

Iwas thinking aboutusing a sling and turning it into a type of "man-purse" or "murse."
As arms_libertas mentioned, "slung-OC" is asking for trouble.

Is it legal? Yeah... Probably... Maybe...

Would I ever suggest it? Nope.

just_a_car

imported post

Trust me, I like the idea of OC'ing an AR, AK or Serbu... but the only way to do it would be to use a holster for it, unless you want to what the smell of week-old vomit in the back of a Crown Victoria smells like.

Now, if you're going to somewhere like a camp site or to a wilderness shooting area, I don't see any issue. I just wouldn't recommend it in public.

If we still get hassled in this state for peaceable, holstered OC of "normal" pistols, just take a second to think what kind of hassle you'd get with that holstered... much less slung.

antispam540

imported post

I know how you feel. With the compensator and extended mag, my 1911 seems to have half its surface outside its SERPA holster... which is why I don't carry it often :cry:

Prophet

imported post

I say go for it. A pistols a pistol. What, people are gonna freak out? Well, people freak out when they see a Walther P22 does that mean we shouldnt carry at all?

Push the envelope, see what happens.

shad0wfax

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
its registered as a pistol.
So?... Just because the Serbu is an AOW doesn't mean it can't be OC'd... just like the AR pistol or AK pistol (which I'd rather OC than an AR).

I have OC'd a SOCOM 16 on a sling in cities before. You can OC a Serbu Super Shorty. Nowhere is open carry of rifles or AOW's prohibited. You have to be very prepared to deal with LEOs if you OC a rifle and you should make sure your sling allows you to carry it in such a way that you are not walking around with the weapon "in-hand." I'd avoid one of the tactical slings that acts as a front-carry sling, since they make the rifle seem very accessible. A standard military sling with the rifle over a shoulder is a better option. I think the same holds true for your AR-15 pistol. You'd want it to hang on your back or at your side in a way that keeps it away from your hands and allows you to carry hands-free.

What you can't do with the Serbu (since it's not a pistol) is get into a vehicle with it loaded and hope your CPL allows you to do it. (It doesn't.) The same goes for my battle-rifle.

Since the AR-15 pistol is registered as a pistol (and WA calls it a pistol too since SBR's are prohibited here) if you have a CPL you could keep it loaded in the car or wear it concealed too.

Impractical or unusual does not necessarily mean illegal.