• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The most basic feelings...

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

...about having a gun in the house.

I shared this with my wife, although she probably didn't catch the true feeling but here is what I felt last couple of nights:

Usually there is always something going on outside our apartments. Tenants here younger people, they drink starting Friday until Sunday, although they are not causing too much trouble, month ago there was a fight right front of out balcony (we are in first floor) Cops came after probably 30 minutes. I usually don't mind but I feel nervous each time and expect a gunshot any second during those arguments. I am usually looking places to duck and have the phone close to me. This is NOT something what I wanted to feel in these situations. If someone jumps into my living room as a last escape location, with a gun or knife, I just can't do much about it, maybe getting killed during my struggle!

Last few nights I felt so comfortable sitting on my living room, and again there were noises outside but not much. I said to myself, if there is a fight again, I'd just keep my 9mm handy... and if someone tries to enter, probably would be introduced with a hollow-point.

Anyways, thinking all that kept me calm… since for a long time as far as I remember.
I am not a small guy, 5'10", 200lb but still stuff makes me nervous; stuff that I know I can't handle with my bare hands.

The idea of other jerks getting weapons and start thinking they can do anything they want with that kind of power... pretty much fades with the weapon you own yourself. It puts you into same level of play ground with them… and that's a good feeling

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

My brother, retired Memphis cop , had a heart attack last week . Yesterday while in Krogers he said he felt scared because he was physically weak . He always only CCWs with an ankle holster but is now OCing after he gets the Tenn. OC permit .

LEO 229

imported post

Not wanting to rain on your parade... but.... :lol:

IMO.... a gun gives people a false sense of security.

A gun can make people brave thinking that it will protect them and stop any threats.

A gun is nothing but a tool. It is one that is very powerful and you have to remember that YOU are the one who has to use it. You have to be ready and willing to take a life and may have only a fraction of a second to decide.

You made a statement that concerned me.

"and if someone tries to enter, probably would be introduced with a hollow-point."

:shock:

I can only hope you know for sure what is going on outside the door before you send lead down range.

I am thinking that shouting for them to stop and advising you have a gun would be proper start. Giving them a chance to communicate back, stop, or retreat.

But hey.. that is just me. I am not trigger happy. :D

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
...I am thinking that shouting for them to stop and advising you have a gun would be proper start. Giving them a chance to communicate back, stop, or retreat.

But hey.. that is just me. I am not trigger happy. :D

I am not a trigger happy guy either. Shouting happens about every weekends and I hope nobody will do something stupid, jumping into our balcony and try to hide inside our living room. I believe it is also my right to gun that person down as soon as he (or she) becomes a threat inside my home. The blinds are always closed during the night, I wouldn't have time to think if I can see this person carrying a loaded gun or not, which he (or she) might be actually start shooting blindly in that kind of situation.

I realize this, I probably will never use my gun to hurt anyone in my life. Even if I do need to use it, most likely I will shoot (hope) not to kill (some might have other ideas about this). I don't want to be the judge who gets to die (although other person might think so) and always keep an open door for mistakes (you just never know)... but would I feel so bad about shooting and killing an intruder if I have to, probably not. It's a self defense to the bone :dude:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
but is now OCing after he gets the Tenn. OC permit .

The WHAT? Do you mind explaining what you are referring to?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdfindicates that the Tennessee permit allows either open or concealed carry, but nothing about a separate permit for open carrying.

And why would your brother the cop need a permit in the first place? Does not his status as a cop allow him to carry without any other paperwork?

stay safe.

skidmark

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

... skidmark ...

There is a ton of misinformation about each state's carry laws . After reading again I now see that Tenn's permitmaybe for OC & or CC together . Notice the word maybe . My brother Rick and I have been talking about OC in NC & TENN and I'm here to learn . He is going to make sure of his rights because of my questions about OC . My brother CC everywhere all the time without a permit as retired LE .

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Razor: Your brother, as a retired cop, may OC / CC as if he had a permit, but in more locations.

The TN permit is for carry, period. You must have a permit to carry at all. It doesn't specify between OC and CC. Specifically, TN AG opinion 05-154 states that the permit covers OC.

If he isn't already, have your brother consider joining the TFA. They are actually getting a lot of good work done broadening the areas that carry is allowed.

Regards,

Pol

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I am not trigger happy.:D
Right.

Now consider 'keyboard happy' as an analogy. Read more, think more, keyboard-drivel less.
Who made you the internet police? :lol:

Start posting something worthwhile and maybe I will take some advice from you.

As is stands now.. you are just one of those nutty internet people we all talk about at the water cooler.

BTW: You should know how to spot drivel... You provide enough of it in every post as an example for all of us!!

:celebrate

Sonora Rebel

imported post

For home defense... get a shortie 12 ga shotgun. (OR) 'Sounds like you need to find a better neighborhood.

OC/CC 9mm

imported post

We are moving to abetter apartment in a few months (until we buy a house). This one is next to Mc Duffy's and other bunch of bars and restaurants... cross the street of Peoria Sport complex, so it get noisy often.

Shotguns, I don't like them. I like handguns :)

:dude:

Sonora Rebel wrote:

For home defense... get a shortie 12 ga shotgun. (OR) 'Sounds like you need to find a better neighborhood.

SteveInAshand

imported post

You live in the wrong place my friend,im glad You are moving

I would rather live in a small cheep clean RV even a camper van that I have fixed up on a large rural private property or in the city in an RV behind a large fenced in commercial property ( I've done both ) with a large buffer zone around me than in some cram pack cracker box apartment complex full of illegal aliens , thugs, drunks, rowdy teens , thieves, meth users and other flotsam & jetsam.

Your consciousness should be "screaming" at You to find a peaceful place for Your family to live even if you have to eat oatmeal , beans & water to scrape up enough money to do it if that is the situation, Yours does not sound dire tho.

I hear this often > "I cant afford to move" .

My response would be > "You can afford NOT to move"