• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first negitive open carry experance

kparker

imported post

He told me he was a cop toward the end of his conversation.

Well, IMO that puts things in a different light. I assume you mean that you had no way of knowing the person was a police officer, that they were not in uniform and did not display their badge. In that case, why not respond to "Do you have a CPL?" by saying--in a polite, conversational way, mind you, not in a what's-it-to-you manner--"Why do you ask?"

It's not like you'd be faking it! You should be genuinely curious why the person is asking you--are they a hoplophobe, a plainclothes or off-duty Only One*, someone who has a CPL themselves but doesn't know that open carry is legal, etc. You can't know, until they say.

I suggest this by analogy to what someone else here reported in response to the "Are you a cop?" question. They replied, "Why, is there a situation?"

Turn the tables on the questioner, and make them articulate what they think the problem is.

[line]
*I very specifically mean to include only those LEO's who have us-vs-them attitudes and think ordinary citizens shouldn't exercise their legal rights. If you're in law enforcement and don't conduct yourself in this way, then you're not included (so please don't take offense!)

jbone

imported post

phone guy wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
phone guy wrote:
He told me he was a cop toward the end of his conversation.
Next time NavyLT had the best answer. That's a good answer for cops or old ladies.
It not a rude answer just a carefully skilled answer.

Want to get together for another lunch or dinner, phone guy?

Sounds good NavyLT. I don't get to Oak Harbor much. I still have your phone#
And yes I know you do not have a cell phone.
If I do it will on a day trip. I will give you a call.
Nothing says I can't meet you in your neck of the woods.
The Everett area has a lot of gun friendly restaurants. I work part time so if you do call me. I PMed my cell # to you last time.do you still have it?
LT, You can swing by me place i'm right off the i-5.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Manu wrote:
Why he was interested in your CPL? You should just ased hi "Who is asking? " or tell im that you do not need CPL for OC

I agree with Manu my standard reply lately when people ask if I have a cpl is that in Washington state I don't need one to openly carry. I gave out several flyers this past week with this reply, a lot of people just don't realize that is legal. Most people I have encountered are intrigued and want to know more

This story brings me to my story from yesterday. I was in Oak Harbor and worked late so I went to Taco del Mar for a bite to eat. There was a female trooper and her family eating there while I was ordering my take out. The timing worked out that they were leaving as I was entering my car wich was parked directly in front of the door.

I took the opportunity to grab a flyer and and said "Hi, being in Law Enforcement I thought you might find this interesting."

She took it and stated very friendly "Oh I never saw this one, thanks. What group is this." Me, "Open carry.org, I normally carry everywhere I go but I have been on the job all day"

Her,"What do you do for work" Me "Construction, heresmy card" I always take opportunity to hand those out when possible too.

Now heres the interesting part in my opinion she stated. "Well unfortunately due to my job I can't mention my opinion either way"

I stated , "Believe me some LEO's definately do."

She said "I like my job to much, and don't want to loose it. But thanks for the info and I will look this up."

It was a very freindly encounter, and I ended up having a lot of respect for her. I was left with the impression that she doesn't let her personal feelings one way or another interfere with her duties as a public servant.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Yea I didn't see the third when I looked.

I definately look forward and will do all I can to attend and bring people. I love music being a bit of a musician myself. Live music is the best, so I am pretty excited to have an event invovling music and open carry. Let me know if there is anything I can do also.

just_a_car

imported post

Manu wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Darn...double post.
I'll call it a tripple post ;), BTW SVG we here in seatac area are planning something huge towards july, hopefully you and your buudies could join us again, Details will be posted soon
Nah, I'd call it a worn sear... somebody better call the BATFE. :shock:

ROFL! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

What I picked up on here is a common misperception of the way the RCW reads. The LEO stated the your holstered weapon might cause alarm, and so it might. SO WHAT? The RCW doesn't address CAUSING alarm. It addresses WARRANTING alarm.

Sure, someone might be alarmed to see your openly carried handgun, but is their alarm warranted? That's the question that has to be answered.

As long as the business owner doesn't mind if you OC there's no problem.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Bookman wrote:
What I picked up on here is a common misperception of the way the RCW reads. The LEO stated the your holstered weapon might cause alarm, and so it might. SO WHAT? The RCW doesn't address CAUSING alarm. It addresses WARRANTING alarm.

Sure, someone might be alarmed to see your openly carried handgun, but is their alarm warranted? That's the question that has to be answered.

As long as the business owner doesn't mind if you OC there's no problem.

Thats a good clarification and something to keep in mind. I thought of the next time someone says a gun causes alarm. Mentioning the guy who tried to bring a bomb on the plane with his shoe. Should I freak out when I see people wearing shoes.

To go along with your point no because it doesn't warrant an alarm there is no proof shoe wearing people going about their everyday business are going to blow us up.

arentol

imported post

One thing to be aware of is that the "warrants alarm" portion of the 9.41.270 has been used, and upheld, in the case of a man carrying an AK-47 openly at night with it resting on his shoulder....

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=25

So while open carry is legal, the courts have pretty much stated that you can only open-carry a weapon that is "reasonable" for self-defense or some other legal activity in which you are taking part.

Examples:

AK-47 at night, head down, suburb, visibly loaded, carried leaning against your shoulder = warrants alarm.
AK-47 daytime, parking lot of a firing range, not loaded, carried in any manner other than pointing at people = doesn't warrant alarm.
AK-47 daytime, suburb, head up, strapped across your back, visibly loaded = Who knows????

My advice, stick with something reasonable size, and otherwise act like any normal person. You should be fine.