• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first negitive open carry experance

phoneguy

imported post

Today I was eating at a family restaurant alone. There was a family leaving and the man ask me if I had a CPL? I said yes I do. He told me he is a cop and quoted
RCW 9.41.270. He told me that it cause alarm. I replied a gun in my holster is not intended to cause alarm. He said "yes it does you do not have a badge next to it." Then he left and I finished my lunch and went home. I have eaten there many times before with no problems . It seems like all cops use that wild card all the time
(RCW 9.41 270). Is this something we OCs have to worry about in the future?
What legal protection do we have so the Leo can't always use it? Thanks

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

You were fed a line. I would have gotten the cop's name and badge number and taken it up with his superiors.

There are too many agencies that have issued too many training bulletins about the legality of OC. Any department or officer that is not at least aware of the legality of peaceable OC is living in a special world apart from reality. That said some will try to keep you from doing it. People don't like change, cops even less so I would imagine.

Just keep doing what you are doing, and mebbe drop a line to the local PD with a complete set of training bulletins and ask them to get in line with the rest of the state. Given as there are several very large or well respected agencies that have all ready issued bulletins, there is no reason for any other agency not to fall in line.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

phone guy wrote:
Today I was eating at a family restaurant alone. There was a family leaving and the man ask me if I had a CPL? I said yes I do. He told me he is a cop and quoted
RCW 9.41.270. He told me that it cause alarm. I replied a gun in my holster is not intended to cause alarm. He said "yes it does you do not have a badge next to it."
Since he thought enough of it to make a threat, I think I would have been inclined to hold our my wrists and ask him to arrest me.

bugly

imported post

I think it would have been a good idea to get his name and badge number also, and if he asked you why you needed it, you could just say you need to make sure his superior officers got the memo on the legality of OC. This could have come out a couple of different ways, either he could have refused you his name and badge number (indicating he may have been an imposter, trying to be a tough guy) or it could have gone well and educated him on the legality of OC or.... he could have called his buddies and had you harassed for doing something you are perfectly within your rights to do.

phoneguy

imported post

There was no way I can discern what agency he was from. The conversation lasted for one minute. He was gone. Its like when your a kid you always have to have the last say. He got his in and was gone.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

phone guy wrote:
There was no way I can discern what agency he was from. The conversation lasted for one minute. He was gone. Its like when your a kid you always have to have the last say. He got his in and was gone.
Ehh, then write it off as a weird encounter, and assume the guy if he was honest about being a LEO came from some more backwards place like California, New York City or Chicago.

jchen012

imported post

If the conversation was only a minute and he left, then obviously you weren't a threat or else he would have stayed...

phoneguy

imported post

sv_libertarianlibertariansvsvlibertariansvsv_libertarian wrote:
phone guy wrote:
There was no way I can discern what agency he was from. The conversation lasted for one minute. He was gone. Its like when your a kid you always have to have anEhhast say. HeEhht his in anEhhas gone.
Ehh, then write it off as a weird encounter, and assume the guy if he was honest about being a LEO came from some more backwards place like California, New York City or Chicago.
He was from the local area. His kids had soccer shirts from the local area.
His first question to me was "do you have a CPL" ?

Maybe I should of ignored him. Or ask him a question with a question, like who are you?
But I am a friendly type guy so I answered his question with the answer he would like to hear.

j2l3

imported post

Phone guy. What city was this in? Your profile doesn't say where you are. Perhaps if we had that information we could let you know if this has been dealt with in your area or not.

I agree with others, blow it off. If he thought it was a problem, he would have stayed and called for back-up.

phoneguy

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Phone guy. What city was this in? Your profile doesn't say where you are. Perhaps if we had that information we could let you know if this has been dealt with in your area or not.

I agree with others, blow it off. If he thought it was a problem, he would have stayed and called for back-up.
Everett. Yes I did bow it off, but I wanted to share this. I am always open for suggestions. I think it will be a learning experience for next time. This forum helps me feel ready for the next encounter.

j2l3

imported post

I'm pretty sure Everett PD knows better, as does Snohomish County SO. Sounds like he was trying to "puff up" on behalf of his kids.

Mainsail

imported post

phone guy wrote:
....the man ask me if I had a CPL? I said yes I do. He told me he is a cop and quoted
RCW 9.41.270. He told me that it cause alarm. I replied a gun in my holster is not intended to cause alarm. He said "yes it does you do not have a badge next to it."
You know, a ringing from your phone does not obligate you to answer it. Someone poking at your doorbell does not obligate you to go see who it is. Likewise a stranger in a restaurant asking if you have a CPL does not obligate you to engage him or her in a conversation. It’s all in the person’s attitude and demeanor. Also, there’s no place in the law that uses the phrase “causes alarm”; you should know that and have informed him of that.

If some ass-clown were to cop an attitude and ask me if I had a CPL I would reply, “I think that’s my business” and go back to what I was doing. If he informed me he was a cop I’d demand to see his ID and badge and write his badge number down and maybe take his picture with my cell phone. If he refused to provide his credentials I’d call 911 and report a police impersonator.

phoneguy

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
phone guy wrote:
....the man ask me if I had a CPL? I said yes I do. He told me he is a cop and quoted
You know, a ringing from your phone does not obligate you to answer it. Someone poking at your doorbell does not obligate you to go see who it is. Likewise a stranger in a restaurant asking if you have a CPL does not obligate you to engage him or her in a conversation. It’s all in the person’s attitude and demeanor. Also, there’s no place in the law that uses the phrase “causes alarm”; you should know that and have informed him of that.

If some ass-clown were to cop an attitude and ask me if I had a CPL I would reply, “I think that’s my business” and go back to what I was doing. If he informed me he was a cop I’d demand to see his ID and badge and write his badge number down and maybe take his picture with my cell phone. If he refused to provide his credentials I’d call 911 and report a police impersonator.
So true. They always have this attitude. I know if I seen anyone open carrying a gun in a holster and wearing nice cloths I'd never challenge him/her. But this guy had to come up to me.

It's not like he was in uniform and management ask him to confront me.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

phone guy wrote:
So true. They always have this attitude. I know if I seen anyone open carrying a gun in a holster and wearing nice cloths I'd never challenge him/her. But this guy had to come up to me.

It's not like he was in uniform and management ask him to confront me.
Now that is not always the case. I've walked by cops in Seattle who have just given me a quick look over and nothing more. I know cops in Olympia that I have serious gun conversations with and joke about my fondness for soviet style arms. It's all about the individual officer.

Mainsail

imported post

NavyLT wrote:

You know, it just struck me, the best answer to that question to me is, and I will answer it this way next time I am asked:

I don't need one, I am not carrying a concealed pistol.

That way you do not divulge if you have a CPL or not and it should settle the issue.

Well, if it's a real cop, your first question should be, "Am I being detained?" If you're not being detained the CPL is immaterial.

phoneguy

imported post

He told me he was a cop toward the end of his conversation.
Next time NavyLT had the best answer. That's a good answer for cops or old ladies.
It not a rude answer just a carefully skilled answer.

Want to get together for another lunch or dinner, phone guy?

Sounds good NavyLT. I don't get to Oak Harbor much. I still have your phone#
And yes I know you do not have a cell phone.
If I do it will on a day trip. I will give you a call.

wrightme

imported post

NavyLT wrote:

You know, it just struck me, the best answer to that question to me is, and I will answer it this way next time I am asked:

I don't need one, I am not carrying a concealed pistol.

That way you do not divulge if you have a CPL or not and it should settle the issue.
I see what you mean, but then you would be divulging that you only have one firearm.

How about: "A CPL is not required for open carry."

phoneguy

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
phone guy wrote:
He told me he was a cop toward the end of his conversation.
Next time NavyLT had the best answer. That's a good answer for cops or old ladies.
It not a rude answer just a carefully skilled answer.

Want to get together for another lunch or dinner, phone guy?

Sounds good NavyLT. I don't get to Oak Harbor much. I still have your phone#
And yes I know you do not have a cell phone.
If I do it will on a day trip. I will give you a call.
Nothing says I can't meet you in your neck of the woods.
The Everett area has a lot of gun friendly restaurants. I work part time so if you do call me. I PMed my cell # to you last time.do you still have it?