• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you T- shirts too long?

Spongebob

imported post

I have devised a clip that will attach to most holsters, and holds your shirt to the holster, between your gun and body. The clip will be covered in vinyl, so no slides or cylinders get scratched. I am gonna make a few more after work tomorrow, and test minor variations in design, but will ultimately probably start selling them after I make sure I'm not violating any patents or anything. I don't think I would even patent it myself. They will be $1. and available in black, stainless, olive, or brown.

What do you think?

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HardChrome wrote:
Patents are incredibly expensive, upwards of thousands of dollars. Been through it four times myself for work-related patents. However, a design patent (http://inventors.about.com/od/designpatents/a/design_patent.htm) is really inexpensive, somewhere around a hundred dollars I believe. Just something to think about even though it won't keep it from being copied.

The filing fee for a design patent application is $230. The main cost of a design patent application is the draftsman's fees, which can be several hundred dollars. I don't recommend preparing your own design patent drawings unless you are a skilled draftsman. If you have an attorney prepare and file a design patent application, figure a total cost of about $1200-2000 depending on the complexity of the drawings. If/when the application is allowed (i.e., approved), additional PTO fees and attorneys fees will be incurred.

A design patent protects the ornamental design of an object. Design patents can be a useful protection strategy, but the protection is fairly narrow. They can prevent someone from blatantly knocking off your product, but they cannot prevent someone from selling a product that does the same thing but with a different ornamental design.

[suP]The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I am NOT your attorney, and I am NOT giving you legal advice. [/suP]

Spongebob

imported post

I am not considering a design or utility patent. Thanks for the input though. (my aunt is a retired patent attorney)

I am getting my camera after this weekend turkey hunting ( I forgot my camera up north a few weeks ago) I will have some pics, and will probably begin taking orders.

As I said, they will be around $1 each, plus the cost of a stamp for shipping.