• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Sales Soar Over Obama Crackdown Fears

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'd put this up on news, I just hate to watch myself being interviewed. They didn't use my good stuff either. At least I was wearing my VCDL hat.

Video:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/dd75od
Story:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/culr2f

Greg Milam, US correspondent
Gun sales are soaring in the US amid fears that President Obama is planning a new crackdown on the ownership of weapons.

Gun stores in America are seeing a surge in business
The country is even facing a shortage of ammunition as gun stores are besieged by customers - even though the President has insisted he is not planning new legislation.
Seven million people have applied for background record checks with the FBI in the last few months so they can obtain a gun licence.

The Guns and Ammo store in Manassas, Virginia, says it has seen a 50% rise in sales since November's election.
Deputy manager Andrew Amerine told Sky News Online: "In October last year, even in the summer of last year, people started to anticipate what was going to happen in the election and were out buying ammunition and certain types of weapons.
"Now we are seeing people who are getting their first gun because they are worried they will not be able to get them in the future."
The surge in sales has alarmed anti-gun campaigners.
It has coincided with a series of shooting incidents across the country which have left more than 50 people dead.

Flowers outside Virginia Tech
Colin Goddard, who was shot and injured in the Virginia Tech massacre two years ago, said: "Many Americans have been victims of this and we are the ones America should be listening to.
"We are the ones whose lives have been affected.
"I understand that people who haven't had this happen to them haven't needed to have a stance on this issue. I wasn't really interested until it happened to me."
This week Congress launched a new attempt to close the so-called 'gun show loophole' which means unlicensed dealers can sell weapons without making any background checks on the purchaser.
Anti-gun campaigners have accused the gun lobby, including the powerful NRA, of stirring up hysteria to encourage people to buy.
Paul Helmke, of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said: "A lot of people are reacting to the advertising.
"If you say 'buy now because supplies are limited' people are going to do exactly that."

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting. I have never even talked to the NRA and I still want to buy more guns.

I can't because I am broke, but I want more!

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Let me just say I'm not afraid of what Obama has said he'll do, nor am I afraid of what Eric Holder has said he will do as they have no power other than what Congress allows them to have in the case of gun laws....

That being said, I am afraid of some sneaky backdoor law that will have the effect of taking away our RKBA by either making it extremely difficult to obtain ammo or certain parts or too expensive due to taxes like they're doing with cigarettes. Luckily I don't smoke, but it does not mean I approve of the taxes the government has levied against cigarettes both on the State and Federal levels. A pack of smokes in Washington is close to if not over 7 bucks. Now, let's think of an equal situation for guns or gun parts. The bolt carrier for an AR is currently around 100 bucks. So what if the price went up to 700 dollars due to taxes? What if for every grain over 55 grain or 45 grain in a load raised the taxes by 20% so that a 75 grain 5.56 load would cost 400% to 600% more than they do now. For those who have money, this would not be too bad, but for your average Joe the Carpenter/Plumber/Drycleaner/Name your job it would mean that the bullets all of a sudden become too expensive.

If any of you have ever worked on a software project, then you will understand the term feature creep. It's when features keep getting added to the original project specs just so the project can be finished or because the boss wants it or because someone things the new feature will be cool. In any case, as the number of features grows, so does the complexity of the project and eventually, the project could fail due to lack of funds to finish all the new scope added. Most of us who know the crafty antigunners know they're big fans of statute and ordinance creep. They make little innocuous laws or statutes that don't seem bad at first, but that get momentum and when added to other laws become really bad. I think the Obama Administration is one that will attempt to do this.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Paul Helmke is a paid propagandist.

Colin Goddard, "Many Americans have been victims of this and we are the ones America should be listening to.
"I understand that people who haven't had this happen to them haven't needed to have a stance on this issue. I wasn't really interested until it happened to me."

Remains a sheep in denial. If somebody (or several somebodies) in VT had a pistol... this would not have happened to the extent it did... if at all. They don't need a 'stance'... they need to arm themselves and be proactive in their own defense. The only stance they need to take is the 'Weaver'.

YllwFvr

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Paul Helmke is a paid propagandist.

Colin Goddard, "Many Americans have been victims of this and we are the ones America should be listening to.

Remains a sheep in denial. If somebody (or several somebodies) in VT had a pistol... this would not have happened to the extent it did... if at all. They don't need a 'stance'... they need to arm themselves and be proactive in their own defense. The only stance they need to take is the 'Weaver'.
Sue Gratia has been through it. She now is a strong gun rights advocate because she realized that had she had her gun on her that day her parents may still be alive.
His stance on it seems pretty odd. He may not have had an official stance on it but it seems wierd to me that a big young man would get scared of them after going through a massacre yet a tiny woman watches her family gunned down and embraces guns. Isnt that messed up? Id say he was already an anti but hadnt voiced it yet. I cant say with 100% certainty but IF I went through what he did and lived I would be willing to bet if I didnt have a piece already I would be wearing it, wether it risks my getting tossed out or not, my life is worth so much more than a degree.

PT111

imported post

I am a little confused. Is Colin Goddard for or against guns? His comments seemed to say that we need to be armed but can't quite be sure. They should have been a little more clear on that but maybe they left the part where he says to be armed out intentionally.