Thread: Quantico National Cemetery

Post imported post

I have to go to Quantico National Cemetery for a service tommorow. I just got off their web site and did not see anything about "weapons". I know it's not part of the base so I should be O.K. Does anybody know any different. Second question, I'm going to be a pall bearer so would it be in bad tast to OC. I OCed at the funeral home on Friday and there were no :what:nor did anybody say a word about it. Thanks.

Post imported post

It's Federal property, part of the Veteran's Administration. I believe that prohibits it. <looking for the actual code>.

Post imported post

Yea, my VCDL info card says no carry on federal property. I keep forgetting the VA is a federal entity scince they do such a crappy job, or maybe that should be the first clue.

Post imported post

altajava wrote:
    Yea, my VCDL info card says no carry on federal property. I keep forgetting the VA is a federal entity scince they do such a crappy job, or maybe that should be the first clue.
    Martinsburg, WV Clinic/Compound is posted.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Unless you are a part ofa uniformed military/LEO contingent, my opinion is that OC in a cemetary is in bad taste. That extends to visits outside of burials. As a pallbearer, it just increases the "it's in bad taste" level.

It is also my opinion, based on the experiences of myself and others, that cemetaries can be dangerous places where having a firearm is reasonable and prudent.

As others have already pointed out, Quantico National Cemetary is effectively a no-firearms (even in the car, broken down & locked away) zone.

My condolences on your loss.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

National Cemetery or not, OC at a funeral is in poor taste. Even though we would love to reach the point where no one thinks twice about a holstered pistol, as things are now OCing at a funeral would distract from the reason you're there: to honor the deceased.

Keep your activism separate from paying respects.

Of course, there may be funerals at which OC would be perfectly welcome and even expected, but in those cases you wouldn't even need to ask.

Post imported post

Some things are not deemed appropriate at certain events, this would be one of them. Stay safe.

Post imported post

Unfortunately whether it’s appropriate or not the .gov considers it DoD property. Their site http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/quantico.asp

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    Keep your activism separate from paying respects.
    What's activism got to do with it if it's your daily MO?

Post imported post

We had a funeral for patrolman John Jones "Sgt" deceased in accident whilst off duty. Several un uniformed peoples had firearms on them, many I know were concealed under over coats, but thats besides the point.

I had to have my Class A's on, but many came from other states. i.e..state troops. But I didn't recognize allot of them who were carrying. Nothing was said. I just assumed they were fine either way, good or bad, didn't care. We all knew the purpose of the morning, and evening in fact.

As long as your legal, I see no issues. But i agree with everyone with certain situations dont agree with it. BUT that is at Your discretion.

*this is my opinion....treat it like an annoying fly...Smack it, Bash it, or just let it fly *

Post imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
    It's Federal property, part of the Veteran's Administration. I believe that prohibits it. <looking for the actual code>.
    Federal property does not necessarily mean prohibited.

If it is DOD property, then the policy varies based upon the base/post regulations signed by the CO.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    RedKnightt wrote:
    Federal property does not necessarily mean prohibited.

If it is DOD property, then the policy varies based upon the base/post regulations signed by the CO.
    It's not DoD, it's VA property, part of the National Cemetery Administration.

US Title 38, CHAPTER I - DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS, PART 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS, section 1.218 - Security and law enforcement at VA facilities.

(a) Authority and rules of conduct. Pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 901, the following rules and regulations apply at all property under the charge and control of VA (and not under the charge and control of the General Services Administration) and to all persons entering in or on such property.

(13): Weapons and explosives. No person while on property shall carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, except for official purposes.