• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to the JPD

Veritas

imported post

Ethan_Frome wrote:
T Vance wrote:
any information that was entered into the lien system about me, if any,
Ooooh, tell me about this lien system in which you speak. I've never heard of that before. :shock:
Does anyone know if it is possible to FOIA LEIN information about yourself? I'm not sure this can be done. If it can, PLEASE point me in the right direction because I'd LOVE to see what's in there about me.

The only access I've had to LEIN was through a friend of mine who staged pulling me over so he had an excuse to run me and tell me what he saw. But this is a big no-no amongst the cop community... and I will take his identity to my grave with me.

Veritas

imported post

T Vance wrote:
How is this?

As for the FOIA request, I would type that up as a separate document and include it in the envelope. In the cover letter, I would acknowledge that there are two issues being addressed in your communication; one being the complaint and the second being the FOIA request. I would also send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

(Quote removed at members request)

Ruckus

imported post

Veritas wrote:
Ethan_Frome wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Ooooh, tell me about this lien system in which you speak. I've never heard of that before. :shock:
Does anyone know if it is possible to FOIA LEIN information about yourself? I'm not sure this can be done. If it can, PLEASE point me in the right direction because I'd LOVE to see what's in there about me.

The only access I've had to LEIN was through a friend of mine who staged pulling me over so he had an excuse to run me and tell me what he saw. But this is a big no-no amongst the cop community... and I will take his identity to my grave with me.
OK, I looked it up.

My question now is would they have information in the system if the subject was not cited for anything? In this example he was cited for tags, but if there was no citation at all would it be common practice for a leo to add a notation into the system on the stop?

Edited: the link I prematurely posted was from Minnesota. Sorry!

Veritas

imported post

Ethan_Frome wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Ethan_Frome wrote:
T Vance wrote:

OK, I looked it up.

My question now is would they have information in the system if the subject was not cited for anything? In this example he was cited for tags, but if there was no citation at all would it be common practice for a leo to add a notation into the system on the stop?

I've done a ton of research regarding LEIN and discovered it is one of the hardest things to gather information about. There is no real clear indication of anything about it that's available to the average citizen... at least as far as I can tell. I called the MSP to see if I could get a record of mine and they told me no. The only thing I can really find about LEIN that comes directly from law enforcement is that they claim it's a networked system to allow LEO's to better understand, and communicate about, the subjects they interact with. Personally, I think it's a system designed to arm LEO's with more information in which to form discriminatory opinions of the person they're dealing with.

What I've been able to discern (I'm pretty sure, at least) is that any time a REPORT is made about you, it goes into the LEIN. And I'm pretty sure that any time an officer responds to a call/complaint, a report is generated. I don't believe the full report is placed on the LEIN, but I believe a cliff notes version is on there. This gives officers the ability to order the full report from wherever it was filed in order to gather more information about you.

I do believe that it's not just citations that get into the LEIN system. LEIN appears to contains a plethora of data about individuals that stems beyond the scope of speeding and seatbelt violations. Obviously, arrests make it on there (whether charges are dropped or not). I believe your address history is on there, and in some cases, information pertaining to your employment. I've heard stories about LEIN going both ways... good or bad for the subject of inquiry. For instance, a friend of mine swears that any time an officer runs his LEIN, he is pretty much dismissed every time. His contention is that something in his LEIN alerts officers that he is not your average Joe Six Pack and that he is not the guy you want to violate SOP with. But for those poor souls who always seem to find officer's messing with them... it might be because their LEIN record is checkered with stuff that makes the hairs on the back of a cops neck stand up. Who knows?

I could be wrong about the whole thing. Much of this comes from memory... research I did over a year ago. And even when I did the research, I remember having a real hard time piecing it all together.

Ruckus

imported post

Veritas wrote:
Ethan_Frome wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Ethan_Frome wrote:
T Vance wrote:

OK, I looked it up.

I've done a ton of research regarding LEIN and discovered it is one of the hardest things to gather information about. There is no real clear indication of anything about it that's available to the average citizen... at least as far as I can tell. I called the MSP to see if I could get a record of mine and they told me no.

What I've been able to discern (I'm pretty sure, at least) is that any time a REPORT is made about you, it goes into the LEIN. And I'm pretty sure that any time an officer responds to a call/complaint, a report is generated. I do know, however, that it's not just citations that get into the LEIN system. LEIN contains a plethora of data about individuals that stems beyond the scope of your speeding and seatbelt violations. Obviously, arrests make it on there (whether charges are dropped or not).

I was able to paste that data together based on articles and court cases published about officers who abused the LEIN system by using it to stalk ex-girlfirends and/or their ex's new significant others. In response to the abuse of this system, law enforcement regulators have taken a very proactive stance against abusers of the system. If you think, even just for a moment, that an officer has run your LEIN without just cause (i.e. traffic stop), you can make a complaint with their departments Internal Affairs division and they will pull records to determine whether or not your record was run, and if so, for what permissible purpose. If it's determined that an officer ran your record without cause, it's a big deal. I believe the first offense is something like a $500 fine and suspension... second offense is pretty much termination. I'm basing this from memory, though, and could be wrong.
Wow, this is uber interesting stuff. Thanks for the feedback.