Thread: Examiner.com: More guns, less pirates

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gu...s-less-pirates

SNIP

It was just another shiver me timbers day this past weekend when pirates far off the coast of Somalia attacked the Italian cruise ship Melody and it's 1,500 passengers with automatic weapons. Until that is, the pirates found out that "in the darkness, the crew would fire back. . . . 'It felt like we were in war,' the ship's Italian Commander, Ciro Pinto, told Italian state radio.". . .

Post imported post

"More guns, fewer pirates."

:P

Post imported post

We need to do some work on some US flagged vessels and arm them like WW2
    Q-Ships. http://www.history.navy.mil/docs/wwi...#anchor1557612

I think some .50 cal MG's would be a good deterrent to the bad guys as well as being very reliable. They're good toover a mileand the bad guys aren't so hot in the marksmanship department with their RPG's. They are low maintenance and very easy to teach a gun crew.

I wonder if they're hiring contractors???

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

That would be an AWESOME idea. make it into a "match format" and have your "scorer" using a video cam instead of a score card. YouTube would be GREAT exposure later. The "Match Winner" should get a donated .416 for his/her "high score".

Entry Fee? Whatever covers the cost of your cruise and food. No consumption of alcohol within 12 hours of your "sqadding" time. "Prep time" beginswhenever the ship's lookout sights nearest scumbag vessel.

May have a problem with "cross-fires" though... The possibility exists that multiple competitors will engage the same target. Perhaps "Squadding" would be done on different vessels with a fixed number of "competitors" on each ship.

We wouldn't need to bother Uncle Sam for ammo, training or weapons. I'm sure enough folks in the US still have decent long guns around...

:celebrate
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

That's pretty awesome that they were able to fend off the pirates with pistols and water hoses. Just imagine what some deer rifles or AR-15's would do! bye bye pirates

Post imported post

AR's and deer rifles?

This is the INTERNATIONAL INTERACTIVE (cause they may shoot back)SHOOTIN MATCHES, Son!

Minimum cal to enter: 5.56mm; .308or above is recommended.

Service Rifle or Match Rifle authorized, larger caliber encouraged.

No Bag Limit!

(unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

I don't remember seeing barracudas in that part of the world, but there are PLENTY sharks!

(unknown 'gun~writer')

Centurion

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    We need to do some work on some US flagged vessels and arm them like WW2
    Q-Ships. http://www.history.navy.mil/docs/wwi...#anchor1557612

I think some .50 cal MG's would be a good deterrent to the bad guys as well as being very reliable. They're good toover a mileand the bad guys aren't so hot in the marksmanship department with their RPG's. They are low maintenance and very easy to teach a gun crew.

I wonder if they're hiring contractors???

Mike
    http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gu...s-less-pirates

From the article the ship has ONBOARD ISREALI SECURITY --- I bet that they are already intimately familiar with the full auto .50 cal MG's
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    First step would be to get Congress to issue letters of marque and reprisal.* That would cover the expedition legally.
    None of this is necessary. Seriously guys, their entire "business" model depends upon unarmed victims. Do you really think there even still going to be any pirates cruising around in small groups on outboard motorboats once seaman are permitted to defend themselves?

Piracy used to require warships (or at least something comparable and preferably superior to whatever your victims possess), back in the days of armed merchant vessels. Warships won't work too well in the modern era of satellites, so they're reduced to tiny little boats. Which only work with disarmed victims.

Honestly, do you really think pirates will ever once successfully climb a rope onto a large ship from a small boat while taking fire? It won't happen. Not even with good equipment, like smoke grenades and weapons better than AKs.

Post imported post

If the pirates know going in the cruise ships would be equipped with a half a dozen gatlin guns firing 6,000 rounds per minute and a 20 mm bofor cannon or two would be available also and maybe an RPG might be in the mix then this piracy crap would come to an immediate halt. Those buttheads DO respect superior force.

Post imported post

I've been screaming this since I first heard about it. Arm those on board who want to be armed. Hell, just pay me a couple grand to sit on the crow's nest with my .50 Big Grizzly and an M4. I'd do it in a heartbeat

Banned

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:

From yor lips to God's ears .

Post imported post

forever_frost wrote:
    I've been screaming this since I first heard about it. Arm those on board who want to be armed. Hell, just pay me a couple grand to sit on the crow's nest with my .50 Big Grizzly and an M4. I'd do it in a heartbeat
    Absolutely, without question! I may have a higher price and requirementsthough - danger factor.

I need about10-15 thousand dollarsto outfit myself with weapons, ammo, and"accessories"for the enviornment as well as travel expenses, 10,000 dollars a month in salary,andan additional two or threewilling participants, and I will take that "vacation," sitting on the deck of the vessel,sipping a cool beverage, and getting a tan.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:

I was thinking about making that correction myself but you beat me to it.

Post imported post

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    Of course, you do know that when the media got wind of it that the UN would excrete a large brick. Not to mention a whole bunch of bleeding hearts in this country.

you're quite correct sir. I can hear their lament now: "What about the CHILDREN????"

Post imported post

6L6GC wrote:
    SFCRetired wrote:
    Of course, you do know that when the media got wind of it that the UN would excrete a large brick. Not to mention a whole bunch of bleeding hearts in this country.

you're quite correct sir. I can hear their lament now: "What about the CHILDREN????"
    Let 'em bring their own guns!
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!