• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: More guns, less pirates

Mike

Site Co-Founder

MSC 45ACP

imported post

We need to do some work on some US flagged vessels and arm them like WW2
Q-Ships. http://www.history.navy.mil/docs/wwii/Q-ships.htm#anchor1557612

I think some .50 cal MG's would be a good deterrent to the bad guys as well as being very reliable. They're good toover a mileand the bad guys aren't so hot in the marksmanship department with their RPG's. They are low maintenance and very easy to teach a gun crew.

I wonder if they're hiring contractors???:idea:

Mike

MSC 45ACP

imported post

That would be an AWESOME idea. make it into a "match format" and have your "scorer" using a video cam instead of a score card. YouTube would be GREAT exposure later. The "Match Winner" should get a donated .416 for his/her "high score".

Entry Fee? Whatever covers the cost of your cruise and food. No consumption of alcohol within 12 hours of your "sqadding" time. "Prep time" beginswhenever the ship's lookout sights nearest scumbag vessel.

May have a problem with "cross-fires" though... The possibility exists that multiple competitors will engage the same target. Perhaps "Squadding" would be done on different vessels with a fixed number of "competitors" on each ship.

We wouldn't need to bother Uncle Sam for ammo, training or weapons. I'm sure enough folks in the US still have decent long guns around...

:celebrate

Swampbeast

imported post

That's pretty awesome that they were able to fend off the pirates with pistols and water hoses. Just imagine what some deer rifles or AR-15's would do! bye bye pirates

MSC 45ACP

imported post

AR's and deer rifles?

This is the INTERNATIONAL INTERACTIVE (cause they may shoot back)SHOOTIN MATCHES, Son!

Minimum cal to enter: 5.56mm; .308or above is recommended.

Service Rifle or Match Rifle authorized, larger caliber encouraged.

No Bag Limit!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
We need to do some work on some US flagged vessels and arm them like WW2
Q-Ships. http://www.history.navy.mil/docs/wwii/Q-ships.htm#anchor1557612

I think some .50 cal MG's would be a good deterrent to the bad guys as well as being very reliable. They're good toover a mileand the bad guys aren't so hot in the marksmanship department with their RPG's. They are low maintenance and very easy to teach a gun crew.

I wonder if they're hiring contractors???:idea:

Mike

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m4d26-More-guns-less-pirates

From the article the ship has ONBOARD ISREALI SECURITY --- I bet that they are already intimately familiar with the full auto .50 cal MG's

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
First step would be to get Congress to issue letters of marque and reprisal.  That would cover the expedition legally.
None of this is necessary. Seriously guys, their entire "business" model depends upon unarmed victims. Do you really think there even still going to be any pirates cruising around in small groups on outboard motorboats once seaman are permitted to defend themselves?

Piracy used to require warships (or at least something comparable and preferably superior to whatever your victims possess), back in the days of armed merchant vessels. Warships won't work too well in the modern era of satellites, so they're reduced to tiny little boats. Which only work with disarmed victims.

Honestly, do you really think pirates will ever once successfully climb a rope onto a large ship from a small boat while taking fire? It won't happen. Not even with good equipment, like smoke grenades and weapons better than AKs.

HariCarry

imported post

If the pirates know going in the cruise ships would be equipped with a half a dozen gatlin guns firing 6,000 rounds per minute and a 20 mm bofor cannon or two would be available also and maybe an RPG might be in the mix then this piracy crap would come to an immediate halt. Those buttheads DO respect superior force.

forever_frost

imported post

I've been screaming this since I first heard about it. Arm those on board who want to be armed. Hell, just pay me a couple grand to sit on the crow's nest with my .50 Big Grizzly and an M4. I'd do it in a heartbeat

Flintlock

imported post

forever_frost wrote:
I've been screaming this since I first heard about it. Arm those on board who want to be armed. Hell, just pay me a couple grand to sit on the crow's nest with my .50 Big Grizzly and an M4. I'd do it in a heartbeat
Absolutely, without question! I may have a higher price and requirementsthough - danger factor.

I need about10-15 thousand dollarsto outfit myself with weapons, ammo, and"accessories"for the enviornment as well as travel expenses, 10,000 dollars a month in salary,andan additional two or threewilling participants, and I will take that "vacation," sitting on the deck of the vessel,sipping a cool beverage, and getting a tan.

6L6GC

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Of course, you do know that when the media got wind of it that the UN would excrete a large brick. Not to mention a whole bunch of bleeding hearts in this country.

you're quite correct sir. I can hear their lament now: "What about the CHILDREN????"

carracer

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Of course, you do know that when the media got wind of it that the UN would excrete a large brick. Not to mention a whole bunch of bleeding hearts in this country.

you're quite correct sir. I can hear their lament now: "What about the CHILDREN????"
Let 'em bring their own guns!