• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry a gun at a University?

essayons

imported post

Even the pizza man is not safe

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/26/hampton.university.shooting/?iref=mpstoryview

The campus of Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia, was locked down for several hours Sunday morning after a former student shot two people in a dormitory and then shot himself, university and police officials said.
corner_wire_BL.gif
The former student entered Harkness Hall shortly before 1 a.m. by following a pizza deliveryman, said the university's president, Dr. William Harvey, at an afternoon news conference.
The former student shot the deliveryman and the night manager of the dorm, who came into the hall after he heard shots, Harvey explained. The man then shot himself.
No one was killed in the incident, which prompted the evacuation of the dorm and a lockdown of the campus, the president said.
The three wounded were taken to area hospitals, Harvey said. The dormitory night manager was treated and released, he said.
Hampton city police said they had the shooter in custody.
The motive for the shootings is not clear, university and law enforcement officials said.
Harvey praised the first-responders to the incident, saying their quick action likely averted further tragedy. He also lauded the school's system of text messages, e-mails and phone messages that warned students about the situation and the campus lockdown.
Hampton is about 70 miles southeast of Richmond, Virginia.

bohdi

imported post

But guns aren't allowed on ..... er wait. Nevermind....it will be interesting to find out the rest of the story. Why attack the pizza delivery dude? Normally that's the most loved guy on campus next to the pot dealer...wait, there's no drugs on campus, so that must be the alcohol supplier to the underage drinkers.....but alcohol poisoning doesn't happen there either..

denwego

imported post

The WVEC report tonight was being typically alarmist, saying how "not only did the police (with a search warrant for his car) find fingerprints and photographs, they also found energy drink cans!"

This immediately made me think... we need to ban assault drinks! No civilian needs more than ten milligrams of caffeine per drink; if they need more, they can buy multiple 10-milligram cans! Only police and military, who have a hard job and need to stay up late, need so much caffeine in small, compact packages which are easily concealed on the person! They also have excessively large tabs, which I'm told is the shoulder thing that comes up! Not to mention that energy drinks are known by the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects!

Neplusultra

imported post

denwego wrote:
The WVEC report tonight was being typically alarmist, saying how "not only did the police (with a search warrant for his car) find fingerprints and photographs, they also found energy drink cans!"

This immediately made me think... we need to ban assault drinks! No civilian needs more than ten milligrams of caffeine per drink; if they need more, they can buy multiple 10-milligram cans! Only police and military, who have a hard job and need to stay up late, need so much caffeine in small, compact packages which are easily concealed on the person! They also have excessively large tabs, which I'm told is the shoulder thing that comes up! Not to mention that energy drinks are known by the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects!
Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY!

doug23838

imported post

"...evacuation of the dorm..."

yea.. that's it. Did they know if there was another shooter?

They removed everyone from adequate cover to be in the clear. A second shooter would have had targets in the clear...

Beauty.

leprechaun117

imported post

denwego wrote:
Only police and military, who have a hard job and need to stay up late, need so much caffeine in small, compact packages which are easily concealed on the person!

That just made me laugh out out loud for the first time in a while, just because my marine buddy drinks 5 Hour Energy like it's his job. Thank you sir!

sccrref

imported post

doug23838 wrote:

They removed everyone from adequate cover to be in the clear. A second shooter would have had targets in the clear...

Beauty.
<sarcasm on>You have to applaud the conclusions of the non tactical mind.<sarcasm off>I bet that he was not out there standing around with the evacuees.

Edited to add on/off button for sarcasm.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

sccrref wrote:
doug23838 wrote:

Beauty.
You have to applaud the conclusions of the non tactical mind. I bet that he was not out there standing around with the evacuees.
Wait till some kid pulls the fire alarm and gets a crowd outside then starts shooting them up.:shock: IMO evacuating the building was stupid, they should have locked down instead. Also, they should have alerted everyone immediately and not have waited as I heard on the news earlier.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
sccrref wrote:
doug23838 wrote:

Beauty.
You have to applaud the conclusions of the non tactical mind. I bet that he was not out there standing around with the evacuees.
Wait till some kid pulls the fire alarm and gets a crowd outside then starts shooting them up.:shock: IMO evacuating the building was stupid, they should have locked down instead. Also, they should have alerted everyone immediately and not have waited as I heard on the news earlier.
Those two dipshits from Columbine pulled the fire alarm and shot people running out.

Mr. Engineer

imported post

They locked down the entire campus except for that building. No cars or people were allowed to leave the campus. I do agree they should have locked down that building as well.

nova

imported post

Mr. Engineer wrote:
They locked down the entire campus except for that building. No cars or people were allowed to leave the campus. I do agree they should have locked down that building as well.
So when they "lock down" a campus, essentially they're detaining everyone on campus without everyone being told such information from a LEO? What's the legality of that?

Mr. Engineer

imported post

nova wrote:
Mr. Engineer wrote:
So when they "lock down" a campus, essentially they're detaining everyone on campus without everyone being told such information from a LEO? What's the legality of that?
There's a warning system in place. As the information unfolds everyone is either sent a text message, e-mail, or both. Everyone is kept abreast of what is going on. This is done by the university.

nova

imported post

Mr. Engineer wrote:
nova wrote:
Mr. Engineer wrote:
There's a warning system in place. As the information unfolds everyone is either sent a text message, e-mail, or both. Everyone is kept abreast of what is going on. This is done by the university.
GMU has a similar 'warning' system, I know how they work. I was simply asking the legality of the school keeping people from leaving if they wanted to.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
Mr. Engineer wrote:
nova wrote:
Mr. Engineer wrote:
GMU has a similar 'warning' system, I know how they work. I was simply asking the legality of the school keeping people from leaving if they wanted to.
I don't think that it's a legality thing. It's more of a are you stupid enough to go outside with a shooter on the loose kind of deal. Legally you can leave IF YOU WOULD WANT TO:p

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
nova wrote:
Mr. Engineer wrote:
nova wrote:
Mr. Engineer wrote:
I don't think that it's a legality thing. It's more of a are you stupid enough to go outside with a shooter on the loose kind of deal. Legally you can leave IF YOU WOULD WANT TO:p
Oh well I'm not going to debate that! I didn't read the OP (dumb mistake on my part!) so I didn't see there was a shooter on the run. I was thinking along the lines of what happened to me a few years ago when there was a stabbing and they had already caught the guy.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
nova wrote:
Mr. Engineer wrote:
nova wrote:
Mr. Engineer wrote:
Oh well I'm not going to debate that! I didn't read the OP (dumb mistake on my part!) so I didn't see there was a shooter on the run. I was thinking along the lines of what happened to me a few years ago when there was a stabbing and they had already caught the guy.
Yea but like at VT after that dorm shooting they said was an isolated incident then it turns out to not be. I think it's more a precautionary measure.

Mr. Engineer

imported post

Those two dip@#$%s from Columbine pulled the fire alarm and shot people running out.

That's not Columbine. That was Jonesboro IIRC.

Either way, Columbine helped people realize that the bullying that goes on is really uncalled for and can cause people to snap. I'm not justifying what they have done, but for a while some good did come of it. Cho was bullied as well but killed people he didn't even know.

Neplusultra

imported post

Mr. Engineer wrote:
Those two dip@#$%s from Columbine pulled the fire alarm and shot people running out.

That's not Columbine. That was Jonesboro IIRC.

Either way, Columbine helped people realize that the bullying that goes on is really uncalled for and can cause people to snap. I'm not justifying what they have done, but for a while some good did come of it. Cho was bullied as well but killed people he didn't even know.
Yeah, at columbinet they were letting some people live, IIRC, meaning they were out for specific revenge. Cho just seemed to want to kill everyone. That makes me wonder who he was really trying to hurt.....