• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leg or Hip Holster Preferred?

TatankaGap

imported post

Quick opinion question, what do people think the preference for a Leg Holster for open carry compared to a hip holster? I'm sensing that a hip holster is preferred ~ and I note that the guy in WI who had hassles was wearing a leg holster -

Any input?:question:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

People just take better to the hip holsters. It is what they are used to with LEO's and stuff. A thigh holster just looks "military" and for some reason scares people more. I can't tell you what goes through the anti mind, but I guess that a thigh holster is normally represented for SWAT or military use. hmm

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

There is a reason why you would want to consider a drop leg holster or a 'thigh' holster.

If you have a vindictive police officer or DA pushing a concealed weapons charge, it would be far more difficult for them to argue that your shirt had partially or completely concealed your firearm when using a drop leg holster. Here in California, there is a possession in a school zone case that apparently is going in that direction since it appears they fear other charges will not stick.

It may be 'military' or 'tacticool', but it certainly wont be mistaken as 'concealed'.

MrCraigCraig

imported post

I have a Blackhawk Serpa waist holster for my full size H&K USP chambered for .45ACP cartridges. I like the retention mechanism and the overall ergonomics of the holster & paddle combination.

Different situations merit different choices of firearms and holsters.

Of course, I thinka classic single-action six-gun just needs tobe in anold-fashioned western gunbelt.

Carrying openly or concealed, care is required whenselecting appropriateclothing and holsters to wear for the occasion.

sha-ul

imported post

just a bit of a bump here, but I have given some thought about open carry, at least around the farm, & for it to be practical, I would need to use a leg/thigh holster, I wear 2 pouches on my right hand side at all times the first has a pair of pliers,a screwdriver, adjustable wrench& tamper-proof Allen screwdriver, the other carries a pair of electrician's scissors& a lineman's knife. on my left side is a pouch with a double ended nut-driver. I carry these tools all day every day for work,& most days off as well. so there is not any room left for a holster. therefore leg/thigh, or a shoulder rig.:?