• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok can somebody clarify this for me?

BooTz

imported post

I don’t have a CPL because I’m not 21. But when reading my restrictions I noticed something irregular…

PLACES off limits to firearms without a CPL[/b]: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: a) A Bank. b) A church. c) A court. d) A theatre. e) A sports arena. f) A day care center. g) A hospital. h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act.[/b]

And another section I found on here

(d) A bar or tavern[/b] licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor[/b] by the glass[/b] and consumed on the premises[/b].[/b]

..I’m so confused is this say if it sells only bottles and cans it’s ok to open carry there??.. What I see in this law is that I, without a CPL, CAN open carry to Wal-Mart, Meijer’s, and various gas stations. Furthermore I CANNOT go to billiard café, Hots, or Applebee’s. can anyone correct me politely or am I correct. Has anyone ever addressed our state officials about this misunderstanding?

Thank you all for your comments.

Justin/BooTz

SpringerXDacp

imported post

BooTz wrote:

I don’t have a CPL because I’m not 21. But when reading my restrictions I noticed something irregular…

PLACES off limits to firearms without a CPL[/b]: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: a) A Bank. b) A church. c) A court. d) A theatre. e) A sports arena. f) A day care center. g) A hospital. h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act.[/b]

(d) A bar or tavern[/b] licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor[/b] by the glass[/b] and consumed on the premises[/b].[/b]

..I’m so confused is this say if it sells only bottles and cans it’s ok to open carry there??.. What I see in this law is that I, without a CPL, CAN open carry to Wal-Mart, Meijer’s, and various gas stations. Furthermore I CANNOT go to billiard café, Hots, or Applebee’s. can anyone correct me politely or am I correct. Has anyone ever addressed our state officials about this misunderstanding?

Justin/BooTz

Without a CPL you cannot CC or OCin stores, gas stations, party storesor restaurants that sell alcohol. It doesn't matter if it's by the glass, bottle or can or if it's beer, wine, booze or champaign.

ETA: Welocme to OCDO Bootz.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

BooTz wrote:

Justin/BooTz

You are looking at two different statutes, one for a person without a CPL and one with.

It's simple if you do not have a CPL you can not have a firearm in any place that has a liquor license period (750.234d), no Krogers, no gas station that sell beer, no party store that sell beer, etc.BUT, if you don't have a CPL you can carry OCin almost anyplace (except perhaps, courts, schools, etc.) if you have the permission of the owner or his agent.

If you have a CPL you can carry CC or OC in any of these places Except a bar. A person with a CPL can carry OC in a bar. All of these places are private and can ban firearms.

All this is addressed in the New start here thread near the top of the first page. Read everything you can before you OC, there are pitfalls for those that are not up to speed on the law.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Does anyone else think that this slice of law is unbearably stupid? Seriously, can't go into a damn Kroger without a CPL.

Not to say that the rest of MI firearms law is any better, but still.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
Does anyone else think that this slice of law is unbearably stupid? Seriously, can't go into a damn Kroger without a CPL.

Not to say that the rest of MI firearms law is any better, but still.

Kinda funny when you think about it. People in Michigan without CPL's have been doing this for years until one LEO in the entire State of Michigan mentioned it was illegal.

Yes, it is very stupid. Personally, I think it's stupid to have CPZ's period. I suppose a bad guy destine to murder children, knowing full wellit's illegal to possess a weapon in aschool, would just do so at a McDonald's for example. :?

BooTz

imported post

yea..i was reading another post wen i posted this other message...

"soo..if ur under 21 ur effed any way u look at in this county..lol.. we cant drink to celebrate nor can we go by a handgun on our own like the BIG KIDS..and now we cant carry in places were things most likely would go down..gas stations and department stores..YAY!!..sorry if i dont sound patriotic but thers a quote tht is just buring my A$$..how did it go..HHMMMZ..o yea i remember..."SHAL NOT BE INFRINGED.."

DanM

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:

Yes, we have a lot of stupid laws in this state, other states, and federally. And aside from pure stupid laws, there are a lot of laws that go a bit beyond reasonable regulation.

But the beauty of our system of laws, enforcement, and justice is that, in America, Americans actually can change things to get back toward the side of individual liberty. The only way to do that, however, is to be engaged in exercising and asserting liberties as much as possible. And to be engaged in voting in people into government who understand that government existsto promote and protectindividual's liberties rather than existing to promote and protect itself by taking away individual's liberties.

We canhave faith that things will change positively if we remain more active, more vocal, and more participative in our democracy than the enemies of liberty.