Thread: OC Virgin in Virginia

Post imported post

I've been Carrying Concealed since I got my permit about a month ago. I've beenOpen Carryingaround the neighborhood while on my evening walks with my kids, but we have no streetlights in my neighborhood and we rarely see anyone elseduring our walks.

I "OC'd" forover 20 yearswhile in the service, but that was always in uniform and didn't often get a second look. People sometimesasked how long the Coast Guard had been armed and I always responded with the correct answer: Since about 1790.

I finally took the plunge and went OC this afternoon, in daylight, in public... I was wearing olive green shorts and a green t-shirt a few shades lighter than my shortsand my H&K USP .45 in a Bianchi belt-clip holster on my strong (left) side. It was very easily identifiable.

We went to Walgreens for a couple things and didn't get any second looks. The cashier was in training and didn't know how to ring up something that was on sale, so she had to get assistance. The manager was polite and helped her through her problem. About a dozen other shoppers were in the store at the time and no problems.

Went to WalMart to get cardstock to print Ed's 2A cards. Had a few folks do the double-take, but no gawkers. One kid who was about eye-level with my waist was walking behind me toward his mother in front of me down the aisle. He couldn't take his eyes off the pistol as he walked by and bumped into his mother. I chuckled but said nothing. My daughter noticed two elderly females do the :what:when we were in the stationery aisle, but I missed it.

Overall, a non-event. its more comfortable to OC than CC with the fanny pack. I think I'll OC more often, except at church. Thanks to someone on here, I'm prepared to field any question at church when it comes to the law and 2A...
    Q: "Isn't it illegal to carry in church without good reason?"
    A: "Good Reason... Google Church Shootings"

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Great to hear! Do yourself a favor and get a digital recorder that plugs into your computer. It can be your best friend

Post imported post

Get a WHAT that does WHAT???

What is the purpose of this device?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Just in case you have an encounter with police/citizens it is always good to have documentation of what happened. A digital recorder is a great way to easily do this. I carry one everywhere with me while carrying. If something does happen, then I can just pull up the file on my computer and I have proof. Say someone calls the police and says that you threatened them blah blah blah. Well if you did in fact talk to them and did not threaten them, then you have proof that they were lying. Also, if the police harass you, then you have evidence so they are not above the law. It is for your protection.

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

most here recommend a digital recorder to record police encounters. to basically hold them accountable to the laws of the state and the COTUS.

Post imported post

IMO it is cheap insurance

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

One of these.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...lrecorders.asp

Best Buy has models ranging from $60 -$110.

They come with a USB cable and software so you can transferthe recording to your computer.

You can carry one in your shirt picket and they pick up voices real good. They also hae a wired mic.

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:

One of these.

They come with a USB cable and software so you can transferthe recording to your computer.

You can carry one in your shirt picket and they pick up voices real good. They also hae a wired mic.
    or if you have an iphone or a similar device, recording is as easy as a tapping your pocket.

Post imported post

Thank you guys, I hadn't thought about that. I like that last one. Looks like my next purchase...
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote: Have you noticed pocket dust/lint getting into it? I have an Olympus VN-960PC. It's pretty good but after awhile so much lint gets into it you have trouble reading the screen.

How's the quality of the recording, mine is a little noisier than I'd like. When I had an encounter with the FBI I had to buy an audio program to reduce the noise of the recording so you could understand faint conversation.. How many hours of recording to you get at the highest quality?

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote: Have you noticed pocket dust/lint getting into it? I have an Olympus VN-960PC. It's pretty good but after awhile so much lint gets into it you have trouble reading the screen.

How's the quality of the recording, mine is a little noisier than I'd like. When I had an encounter with the FBI I had to buy an audio program to reduce the noise of the recording so you could understand faint conversation.. How many hours of recording to you get at the highest quality?
    I haven't had issues with lint. I do pick up noise, but generally I can hear conversations fairly well. I can get 30hrs on the highest recording, which is fine because I put them onto my computer every day or i can erase old ones.

Post imported post

I've been OCing for a year now and still haven't gotten a voice recorder. Its on my list though.

Post imported post

MSC, if you need good examples of the value of recorders, check out some of the old Danbus threads from 2007-08. Expect to spend quite a bit of time reading, as his threads typically go to a dozen pages or more. In any event, there are times when he made recordings that were very important in his defense, and other times when he couldn't make them and he surely wished he had. Then again, Danbus has been something of a cop-magnet.

Don't get too worried: in lo, these many years of carrying, I have yet to have any signficant negative experience. YMMV, of course.

Post imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:

One of these.

They come with a USB cable and software so you can transfer┬*the recording to your computer.

You can carry one in your shirt picket and they pick up voices real good.┬* They also hae a wired mic.
    or if you have an iphone or a similar device, recording is as easy as a tapping your pocket.
    My blackberry does a great job, audio or video.

Post imported post

Great to hear it brother. What is your rating? Is GMC Scogins still running the SAI school?

Post imported post

I don't know if Ron is still there or not. He was a GM3 out of "A" school when I first met him at Great Mistakes for squidschool B-Double-E. I think he was in the last class to go to Great Lakes. I'm a retired GM. Last I heard, the guy that gives the worst, long-winded prefire in the WORLD was downstairs in the armory. I was an SAI at Cape May in the mid-80's and this guy's story was worse than ANY prefire we ever gave there... I won't mention names, I think he's still there.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')