• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at public facilities used for school events

tai4de2

imported post

RCW 9.41.280 says

"(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools"

"(3) (f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school"

My question is about interpreting the last part. My kid plays on a school sports team whose games are held at places like Magnuson Park and Marymoor Park. While the games are going on, the whole set of fields are being used for the several games played simultaneously by various school teams.

I interpret the RCW to prohibit carrying a firearm onto the field during the games, but to permit locking it in my vehicle parked at the park. My thinking is that a case could be made that the set of fields represents "areas of facilities being used exclusively by ... schools" but that my presence there constitutes "legitimate business" or perhaps that the parking lot cannot be construed as being "exclusively" used for the sporting event.

Thoughts?

Tawnos

imported post

joeroket wrote:
You would be completely legal in locking it the car.

I think you are right about the fields being used exclusively by schools.
I am unsure about that... Is the public banned from using the rest of the park when the soccer games are under way? If not, then they are not exclusively for the use of the school, and wouldn't fall under that law. I think the purpose of that law is more for when a school rents out an auditorium or similar and therefore has exclusive use for a school-related function.

However, given the above, I don't think you could walk through the soccer field area if carrying...it's a very grey area of law, as the park itself is not being used exclusively for a school related activity, but there is a part of the land that is.

joeroket

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
joeroket wrote:

I am unsure about that... Is the public banned from using the rest of the park when the soccer games are under way? If not, then they are not exclusively for the use of the school, and wouldn't fall under that law. I think the purpose of that law is more for when a school rents out an auditorium or similar and therefore has exclusive use for a school-related function.

However, given the above, I don't think you could walk through the soccer field area if carrying...it's a very grey area of law, as the park itself is not being used exclusively for a school related activity, but there is a part of the land that is.

You said exactly what I did. Note that I said fields and not park in my post. Of course the entire park is not restricted. Just the fields in question.

Tawnos

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
joeroket wrote:

You said exactly what I did. Note that I said fields and not park in my post. Of course the entire park is not restricted. Just the fields in question.
I interpreted your post to mean that you supported only having the gun in the vehicle, as the park was off limits. Hence the length(ier) post.

joeroket

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
joeroket wrote:

I interpreted your post to mean that you supported only having the gun in the vehicle, as the park was off limits. Hence the length(ier) post.

Rereading my post I can see that I was kind of vague.

cynicist

imported post

areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools"
It says EXCLUSIVELY, which means you probably wouldn't be there. You got to a museum and there's school kids there, it's not exclusive. I think this would only apply if you were a parent-chaperone or for some reason were involved in it, and I believe it would be the same as at a school- CPL and locked in the car.

joeroket

imported post

cynicist wrote:
areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools"
It says EXCLUSIVELY, which means you probably wouldn't be there.  You got to a museum and there's school kids there, it's not exclusive.  I think this would only apply if you were a parent-chaperone or for some reason were involved in it, and I believe it would be the same as at a school- CPL and locked in the car.

I would agree with you under most circumstances but usually when there is a school athletic event, this is more than one school, the schools have full control, as they typically lease them, and would fall under the exclusive umbrella. Just because it is exclusively for use by a school does not mean that the public cannot attend.

joeroket

imported post

Granum wrote:
I think it dose but?

Would this include like a city stadium that schools would use for football games.

If they are given exclusive use of it then yes. The Tacoma dome during high school football tournaments would be off limits because it is rented out to WIAA.

tai4de2

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
I don't think you could walk through the soccer field area if carrying...it's a very grey area of law, as the park itself is not being used exclusively for a school related activity, but there is a part of the land that is.
Yeah -- note that the RCW specifically says "areas of facilities" and not just "facilities".

I think having a firearm locked in a vehicle in the parking lot is not an issue. If it's not an issue on the school grounds itself (due to exemption spelled out in the RCW for CCW), then logically it shouldn't be an issue when not on the grounds of a school.