Thread: Bellingham proposes law banning gun sales near schools

Post imported post

Bellingham wants to ban gun sales within 500 feet of schools, with a loose definition of "school" in the ordinance it appears. End of story has a reference to the "no guns in parks" ordinance that was tossed out.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/102/story/884634.html

Post imported post

We need more laws like this so that irrational people can still have their irrational fear. Kids should be required to keep at least 100 yards away from guns that way they'll be more curious about them and more likely to play with them. It was the same way for me growing up I always wanted to know more about stuff that was "taboo" the more my parents worried the more I wanted to know.

Post imported post

The minutes and video of the meeting aren't on their web page yet, but a link in the agenda has some in-depth background material that were in the council packets. It is attached.

Post imported post

On of my favorite High School teachers in Ferndale told us once that he and other kidsused to bring long rifles to school for "Show and Tell" and there were never any school shootings back then.

Post imported post

Including day care centers, according to the article. Given that anyone can open a day care center anywhere they want with little other than a business license and an annual health and safety inspection, this could ban gun sales from just about everywhere.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

This all started because someone wanted to open a gun shop close to Shuksan. He met all the legal requirements so the city started harrassing him and requiring him to do a lot more than normal businesses would do. I heard he gave up, its a shame, since we don't have many gun shops in Bellingham.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
    ...some in-depth background material that were in the council packets.* It is attached.
    So the store was actually going to be a little over 500 feet away from the school, but the city still wanted to impose all these restrictions and "extras" on the guy, like making him pay to have "gun free school zone" signs put up. What a crock.

They also wanted him to build the building such that the store windows would allow police to observe transactions from the street to potentially watch for illegal activity. (we can't search your establishment without a warrant or probable cause, so instead we'll codify it so that you must build your structure to allow a de facto search from the street). Maybe they should apply that logic to the strip clubs too. Oh, but wait, what about the children....

Post imported post

spike89 wrote:
    Gene Beasley wrote:
    ...some in-depth background material that were in the council packets. It is attached.
    So the store was actually going to be a little over 500 feet away from the school, but the city still wanted to impose all these restrictions and "extras" on the guy, like making him pay to have "gun free school zone" signs put up. What a crock.

They also wanted him to build the building such that the store windows would allow police to observe transactions from the street to potentially watch for illegal activity. (we can't search your establishment without a warrant or probable cause, so instead we'll codify it so that you must build your structure to allow a de facto search from the street). Maybe they should apply that logic to the strip clubs too. Oh, but wait, what about the children....
    I'll never understand the connections the fearful make with weapons, sale of weapons, carry of weapons, all taking place in a legal manner by good people. If they want to protect children look at facts: 2003 some 9,000 kids died in automobile accidents, 1500 children drowned, 550 were strangled accidently --- 151 died from accidental discharge.