• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Class Action Lawsuit to Challenge laws pre-empted by SB92

geoffw

imported post

Today,

I called NLVPD as I do every once in awhile to keep them in check. I was informed for the first time by one of their desk officers that bascially the laws havent changed since SB92 and the pre-emption did not affect their local ordinances.

I feel it is time for us to work as a team to have this taken care of and the only way that will happen is with a lawsuit challenging NLVs ordinance's.

I am looking for a group of people to join me in donating their time to take out this trash. Let me know if you are interested.

-Geoff

irish

imported post

What all would be involved? I live in the SW corner of Vegas by Rhodes Ranch and keep extremely busy but I could try to set aside some time to help. I think it would help if you would add some more detail to your post. Have a great day!

Gordie

imported post

This could be because of the AG's office saying that state preemption laws do not affect local gun laws (this makes me wonder what state preemption does affect).

The AG told wrightmethat she was unaware of this statement on her own office's web site. She said that she would look into it and get back to him. How about it wrightme, has she gotten back to you yet?

As I have said before, I find it hard to believe that she didn't know what was on her own office's web site. It still hasn't been changed.

This is from the FAQ section of the AG's website:

http://ag.state.nv.us/about/faqs/firearms/carry.htm
[align=center]Can I carry a firearm on my person in Nevada?
[/align]
Currently, there are no State of Nevada statutes prohibiting the open carrying of firearms. However, in Nevada there are some local statutes prohibiting the carrying of loaded firearms within their jurisdictions.

Any person wishing to carry a firearm in open view – before doing so – is strongly encouraged to contact that jurisdictions’ law enforcement agency to determine if a statute against the open carrying of firearms does exist and that agency’s enforcement policy concerning the open carrying of firearms.

Caution! The open carrying of firearms – especially in congested urban areas – may be the cause of you being confronted by law enforcement!

CowboyKen

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
Disturbing, indeed.

And this is precisely the reason I urged the NRA to investigate - and the NRA did retain a noted law firm to pursue the issue.

See other related posts in this forum.

These things take time. But I certainly am anxious to see the results!

I do not know the status of this.

Ken

wrightme

imported post

Gordie wrote:
This could be because of the AG's office saying that state preemption laws do not affect local gun laws (this makes me wonder what state preemption does affect).

The AG told wrightmethat she was unaware of this statement on her own office's web site. She said that she would look into it and get back to him. How about it wrightme, has she gotten back to you yet?

As I have said before, I find it hard to believe that she didn't know what was on her own office's web site. It still hasn't been changed.

This is from the FAQ section of the AG's website:

http://ag.state.nv.us/about/faqs/firearms/carry.htm
[align=center]Can I carry a firearm on my person in Nevada?
[/align]
Currently, there are no State of Nevada statutes prohibiting the open carrying of firearms. However, in Nevada there are some local statutes prohibiting the carrying of loaded firearms within their jurisdictions.

Any person wishing to carry a firearm in open view – before doing so – is strongly encouraged to contact that jurisdictions’ law enforcement agency to determine if a statute against the open carrying of firearms does exist and that agency’s enforcement policy concerning the open carrying of firearms.

Caution! The open carrying of firearms – especially in congested urban areas – may be the cause of you being confronted by law enforcement!

She has not responded yet.

Follow-up is in work already.

wrightme

imported post

geoffw wrote:
Today,

I called NLVPD as I do every once in awhile to keep them in check. I was informed for the first time by one of their desk officers that bascially the laws havent changed since SB92 and the pre-emption did not affect their local ordinances.

I feel it is time for us to work as a team to have this taken care of and the only way that will happen is with a lawsuit challenging NLVs ordinance's.

I am looking for a group of people to join me in donating their time to take out this trash. Let me know if you are interested.

-Geoff
Know anyone with "standing" for any point of law that should have been pre-empted?

BhmBill

imported post

wrightme wrote:
geoffw wrote:
Today,

-Geoff
Know anyone with "standing" for any point of law that should have been pre-empted?
It's illegal for them to prosecute you under any pre-empted law. They cannot ignore the pre-emption because they want to. Ignorance of the law is no excuse to break it.

varminter22

imported post

BhmBill wrote:
It's illegal for them to prosecute you under any pre-empted law. They cannot ignore the pre-emption because they want to. Ignorance of the law is no excuse to break it.
I'm not so sure. Until the (unlawful, I believe) ordinances are repealed or stuck down in court, the ordinances still stand.

There are several threads here that have addressed this subject.

I continue to hope for a bonafide lawsuit to strike down the preempted ordinances.

BhmBill

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
BhmBill wrote:
I'm not so sure. Until the (unlawful, I believe) ordinances are repealed or stuck down in court, the ordinances still stand.

There are several threads here that have addressed this subject.

I continue to hope for a bonafide lawsuit to strike down the preempted ordinances.
Then it looks like someone is gonna have to get prosecuted for some preempted ordinance before they'll do anything about it.

ourmanthejoker

imported post

I could probably help financially more than physically, because i'm military over at edwards afb though. Perhaps we could link up one weekend and discuss what your thoughts are. Or hell we could talk on the 17th.

DESERT ATILLA

imported post

+1

I agree with ourmanthejoker. The 17th would be a great arena to discuss the preemption mess.