• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kent State University/City of Kent

Bustelo5%

imported post

Does anyone know if the Kent City PD have been informed that OC is part of the Constitution? The reason I ask is that Kent PD is currently being investigated by the FBI or have been investigated, plus the Kent State Massacre freaks me out.
From my understanding Kent is a State college,so that means the OC is prohibited correct?

Pauly

imported post

Your assumptions are correct. Absolutely no carrying of any kind at KSU.

Tell me more about this investigation by the FBI. I live next to Kent and have had a run in with their 'less than hospitable' police force. Well, I'll rephrase that. I had an issue with one of their officers. He is a tool. I doubt they are all cut from the same cloth.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
...From my understanding Kent is a State college,so that means the OC is prohibited correct?
OC is NOT prohibited at state colleges, but CC is.

There are only five places where OC is statutorily prohibited:

- A Courthouse or building in which a courthouse is located.
- A jail or detention facility
- A school or a school safety zone(unless certain conditions are met)
- A place for which liquor is being dispensed under a class D license
- A State run mental facility

Now, before you run off and OC there, understand that the reason most people are not aware if what I have just stated is that there is a difference between the suggested signage for government buildings and the law itself.

Bottom line, DO NOT OC on a college campus unless you have studied the matter in great depth, and have the time,money, and willingness to accept the court proceedings which will most likely follow.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Some how the article I read maybe 4 months ago magically disappeared. From my knowledge is that the FBI was investigating KPD for excessive force,racial profiling and the always pulling people over for no reason.
As tonight I was driving from my new apt off S mantua drove onto mogadore and I get 2min down the rd and this office pulls me over. I ask him what the problem and then asked me to step out the car. Asks if he can search the car and I say no. The other officer starts talking to me and the orginal office Gillliand proceeds to walk to the other unit and quickly asks if the dog can search around my vechile. I just said sure since I didnt have anything,then after the dog dosent find anything,he walks over to the car and starts searching it after I told him no. After 30 min on the side of mogadore neer the corner of 261 finally he says I can go,Im ******* done with this I hate getting pulled over for nothing this place is a ******* police state.
Anyways if anyone has any Ideas on how to combat this I want to I dont wanna be screwed with no more.
Ohh yeah BRAVO TENGO WHISKEY ,here are some links this is all I could find on KPD being involved in anything.

http://www.kentnewsnet.com/home/ind...story_id=7286f830-db80-4a4b-b4d7-0a189bdb1e2f
http://media.www.kentnewsnet.com/me...19/News/Kpd-Receives.Complaints-2654482.shtml

Pauly

imported post

BB62:

OC may be legal at Kent State but if you've ever been to KSU you'd understand why I said it is not allowed. Kent is a terrible little town filled with Liberals, college kids and militant police. I guess I'd grow a bit militant too if I had to police a college town. It's a real drag over there.

Bustelo:

If an officer ever asks you for permission for anything the answer is ALWAYS "No." I don't care if you have a trunk filled with Gideon bibles... the answer is "No" everytime. Once you allowed him to search around the car with the dog he can very easily 'interperet' the dog's behaviour and then you are screwed. Never, ever, ever consent to a search of any kind ever again.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well a little news I spoke with two different Officers, Daytime Sergant and the Night time LT.Canfield both of whom were very professional. I found out that KSU is a state facility But good news people,since all streets not on campus meaning the surrounding streets and the whole city except the faclilities are open carry friendly and you can take that up with the daytime Serg.with the awesome handle bar stache which is really cool lol.
I just got off the phone with night time LT Canfield,we spoke in detail about the pullover last night. He said that the K9 dog gave a signal that there were drugs in my car,haha todo mierda since i have been drug free for years and my Dads an MP I know way better than that mierda and if my dads CID buddies found out they would beat the crap out of me.
Mr Canfield said that the 4th ammendment went void the moment that the dog thought there were drugs in my vechile.
I also asked Mr Canfield how I should trasport my firearm when I get one and he said that,a weapon is conceld if its in "LUNGE DISTANCE"? And so I asked him specifically if it was ok to have it under the seat or in the glove box unloaded and ammunition seperate and he said that is would still be concled I am so confused this dosent sound like the law to me.
But since Kent a police state I will do as LT Canfield said keep it in the trunk in seperate boxes unloaded mags with the ammunition in sept boxes also. Cant win all the time lol

Pauly

imported post

If you do not have a conceal carry permit you cannot have a loaded weapon anywhere in the vehicle. I am under the impression that our newly passed "Castle Doctrine" allows for loaded magazines but don't quote me on that. I know for a fact that before castle a loaded magazine = loaded gun. If you are of age to get a conceal carry permit then I suggest you do so. It makes transporting your firearm a lot less of a headache.

I'm glad to hear that KPD is up to date on Open Carry rights. That's pleasing. I'm just not 100% sure about the dog sniffing business.

Legba

imported post

There's no "lunge distance" standard for transporting a firearm. That has never been the law in Ohio. The gun and magazines/speed loaders must be unloaded/empty when transporting, unless you have a carry permit.

You don't have to let drug dogs in your car any more than you have to submit toa baseless search by police otherwise. If they (claim to) smell something from outside the car, then that would establish cause for a more intrusive search.

-ljp

Pauly

imported post

BB62 wrote:
Nope, that was NOT the case. It is now, but it wasn't soat that time.
Well, I guess we can all stop listening to me. Apparently, I'm retarded. I apologize for the false information. I was always under the impression that a loaded mag = a loaded gun. I thought castle didn't exactly make that clear and this new bill (HB129) made the distinction.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Thanks for all of the imput on this post, NO Lunge distance? I swear im gonna have to have the Police Chief a Sheriff and a Judge inspect my vehicle just so I wont be arrested by KPD.
I will be going to River Side to go to first time shooters class and eventually get my CCW.
If anyone around here has there own property they practice on and wants to spend the time to teach me Gun Saftey be it your honor,and send me a message.

Call up KPD see what they think probable cause is because obviosly they think that I am some sort of dumb ass and wont call there Sgts on them.I think I may make this go further and file a civil suit to protect the other kids in Kent.

Ohh to make my post more clear,I told officer Gilliand he was not to search my vehicle and because the air is free,then he had his K9 search around the premises of my car.I saw the K9 sit down next to my driver seat and supposedly that ment there were drugs in my car,yeah right. I cannot wait to move to a country that is free,or the country my forefathers of the Chaktaw Nation started.

I guess now I am even more confused of where you cannot have a weapon in the car,I am looking around and in the next few weeks should have a 9mm and want to do what is right in the eyes of the law not Mr Canfields understanding of the law. But id rather keep myself in the safe section and just do what he says since hes the law in this town at least from 11pm-7am.

JSK333

imported post

Pauly wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Nope, that was NOT the case. It is now, but it wasn't soat that time.
Well, I guess we can all stop listening to me. Apparently, I'm retarded. I apologize for the false information. I was always under the impression that a loaded mag = a loaded gun. I thought castle didn't exactly make that clear and this new bill (HB129) made the distinction.

Before HB129, case law was sometimes seeing an unloaded concealed gun (like in a case) with a loaded magazine somewhere else near the gun but not in it, as a loaded gun.

However, if the gun was in plain sight, then it was not considered loaded. This was due to differing langauge used between the motor vehicle transport statute and the concealed carry statute.

Now, thanks to our so-called "Castle Bill," any loaded magazine in the same vehicle as a firearm that can accept it, no matter if the firearm is visible or concealed, is considered loaded. What a step forward, huh? Not.

Pauly

imported post

First, you won't find a more free country than the United States of America. We are very fortunate to live in this great nation where you are allowed to file civil action against a police force if you so desire. I don't think you are justified to do it, however. You granted permission for the search.

Second, keep your gun unloaded, in a box, in the trunk. Keep your magazines unloaded as well. Carry your ammunition in the same box it came in from the store. This should be more than sufficient and will keep you out of trouble. (it should, anyway)

Bustelo5% wrote:
Thanks for all of the imput on this post, NO Lunge distance? I swear im gonna have to have the Police Chief a Sheriff and a Judge inspect my vehicle just so I wont be arrested by KPD.
I will be going to River Side to go to first time shooters class and eventually get my CCW.
If anyone around here has there own property they practice on and wants to spend the time to teach me Gun Saftey be it your honor,and send me a message.

Call up KPD see what they think probable cause is because obviosly they think that I am some sort of dumb ass and wont call there Sgts on them.I think I may make this go further and file a civil suit to protect the other kids in Kent.

Ohh to make my post more clear,I told officer Gilliand he was not to search my vehicle and because the air is free,then he had his K9 search around the premises of my car.I saw the K9 sit down next to my driver seat and supposedly that ment there were drugs in my car,yeah right. I cannot wait to move to a country that is free,or the country my forefathers of the Chaktaw Nation started.

I guess now I am even more confused of where you cannot have a weapon in the car,I am looking around and in the next few weeks should have a 9mm and want to do what is right in the eyes of the law not Mr Canfields understanding of the law. But id rather keep myself in the safe section and just do what he says since hes the law in this town at least from 11pm-7am.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Pauly wrote:
We are very fortunate to live in this great nation where you are allowed to file civil action against a police force if you so desire...
:shock: Talk about turning the Constitution on its head. Allowed, and who allowed it??????

Pauly

imported post

Sorry. Poor choice of words.

color of law wrote:
Pauly wrote:
We are very fortunate to live in this great nation where you are allowed to file civil action against a police force if you so desire...
:shock: Talk about turning the Constitution on its head. Allowed, and who allowed it??????