• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer has ND while on school campus

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just heard about this on a TV report. Parents are upset that he had one 'in the pipe'. Police are now having to defend that practice.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/swvalley/articles/2009/04/24/20090424swv-tolshooting0424-ON.html

Chief: Tolleson officer's self-inflicted shooting a 'freakish accident'
24 commentsby Megan Gordon - Apr. 24, 2009 01:35 PM
The Arizona Republic

Tolleson police said the armed school resource officer who shot himself in the finger this week never took his weapon out of its holster and deemed the shooting a "freakish accident."

Officer Ray Granillo's gun discharged inadvertently Wednesday, as students at Arizona Desert Elementary School were being dismissed. He was shot in his right middle finger and is recovering at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix.

After investigating the incident, Tolleson police Chief Larry Rodriguez outlined this series of events:

• Granillo was dressed in plain clothes because of early dismissal. His .40-caliber Glock was holstered onto his belt.

• Granillo unlocked the gate outside the cafeteria in preparation for early release.

• After tucking the keys into his pants, one key was logged in an opening between the leather holster and trigger.

• Granillo cupped his hand underneath the holster and "tugged up" to readjust his belt.

• Enough pressure was applied between the trigger, key and leather to cause the trigger to fire.

"It was a very strange and very unusual situation," Rodriguez said. "When we got to him, the gun was still the in holster . . . and the spent cartridge was still in the weapon."

Officers found a small scratch on the trigger, corroborating the investigation's theory, Rodriguez said.

Tolleson Elementary School District officials are holding a community meeting Monday to answer any questions parents may have.

"Our big issue right now is student safety," said Superintendent Bill Christensen. "We want to make sure our parents and our community members feel safe."

Granillo, 57, is expected to return to the school, Rodriguez said. He noted all school resource officers carry loaded guns because "that's their function" at the school.

Many districts have a partnership with local law enforcement agencies to allow school resource officers on campus.

The Goodyear Police Department partners with all the school districts within the city, and each school has its own resource office.

Litchfield Elementary School District also pays for an officer at Wigwam Creek Middle School.

"The program is important because the officers serve as a resource to the school," said Rani Collins, Arizona Department of Education's School Safety Program administrator "They serve as role models to the students, showing the human side of law enforcement as well as deterring crime on campus."

Tolleson Elementary School District pays 100 percent of Granillo $65,000 annual salary through the state-funded School Safety Program Grant.

Started in 1994, the program today gives $14 million to 74 districts and charter schools across Arizona.

The Tolleson district's program receives $140,000 per year for two officers, one at Arizona Desert and the other at Porfirio H. Gonzales Elementary School, both in Tolleson. Granillo has been a resource officer for two years. He teaches anti-bullying and drug-prevention courses on the K-8 campus.

"(Granillo) is seen as the safe person for parent and students," Christensen said. "He's very popular."

Sonora Rebel

imported post

More AD's with those things than any other it seems. I don't like 'em either.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
More AD's with those things than any other it seems. I don't like 'em either.
+1

My 1911 has two separate safety devices, either of which is capable of preventing such an incident without relying upon the other.

Armed4Life

imported post

I don't buy the story. For one thing, any well designed holster prevents anything (fingers, keys, etc.)from entering the trigger guard when the weapon is in the holster.

Unless the weapon was unholstered in a pocket and you put keys in with it, I can't seea dischargehappening.

Michigander

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
I don't buy the story. For one thing, any well designed holster prevents anything (fingers, keys, etc.)from entering the trigger guard when the weapon is in the holster.
Exactly. I don't like Glocks for this reason and others, but a good holster will act as a safety for a Glock. One way or another, this guy screwed up. :?

GWbiker

imported post

After tucking the keys into his pants, one key was logged in an opening between the leather holster and trigger.

Huh? Doesn't pass the smell test.:uhoh: We have a Police officer who doesn't use a positive retention Key Clip?

And I would like to see his gun holster where there's room to insert a key next to the gun trigger.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Armed4Life wrote:
I don't buy the story.  For one thing, any well designed holster prevents anything (fingers, keys, etc.) from entering the trigger guard when the weapon is in the holster.
Exactly. I don't like Glocks for this reason and others, but a good holster will act as a safety for a Glock. One way or another, this guy screwed up. :?
Whatever, people can talk all the want about "the 'only' safety being 'between your ears'", but any mechanical device which turns a mistake from an ND to a locked trigger is fine by me.

But yes, doubtless this guy screwed up. People do that. It's why we have safety devices, like seatbelts. Not to rely on, but in case you do screw up.

And it's not like the lack of a safety forces Glock owners to be so careful they never ND.

The way I see it, safety devices that assume human ineptitude are a good thing. It's a bit different with regulation, but I don't believe very many people intentionally get into car accidents "just because they were wearing a seatbelt".

Michigander

imported post

Many probably remember what happened to me when my CZ fell on the hammer and shot me. In that case, I screwed up, because I allowed the muzzle to cover something I wasn't willing to destroy. This cop did that too, so there is no doubt he can be blamed for what happened. However, if a key can pull a trigger that easily, I consider it the fault of bad equipment too. His holster for sure, and arguably the trigger mechanism itself.

Dahwg

imported post

Most cops (about 95%) of the ones I've seen here in town use the Safariland SLS... I tried to get a key lodged into mine.. several different ways (yes the gun was made safe before I tried). No matter how I tried to get the key in- it would not go past the trigger guard, much less anywhere near any point where the trigger could be pulled.

It does say he was in plain clothes that day so perhaps a less secure holster? I just don't see it. I'll try with my Galco when I get back home.

Chez

imported post

"Our big issue right now is student safety," said Superintendent Bill Christensen. "We want to make sure our parents and our community members feel safe."

Liberal Alert...

He wants the community to feel safe. Hell, we carry guns because we want to BE SAFE!

GWbiker

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Notso wrote:
Tolleson Elementary School District pays 100 percent of Granillo $65,000 annual salary through the state-funded School Safety Program Grant.

$65,000 dollars for one armed man, each year? :shock:

They could buy 150 GLOCKS for that price, and arm 150 employees!

What a waste...
I noticed that too. He's paid $65K and armed to play Mr. Policeman in a school.

Before I retired, I was paid somewhat more as a unarmed Lieutenant to ride herd on 3,200 inmates and over 1,500 staff and support in a state maximum security run prison.

For a brief period of time I supervised a cellblock full of Juveniles, a time I would like to forget.

That Tolleson Elementary cop can keep his job. I wouldn't do it for twice his normal pay.

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

Seems like a bunch of Glock hater's out there. Glock is a excellent handgun speaking from experience. I guess when you are the most popular (4 million in service today) you have a lot more that don't like you. It's not a pretty handgun by any means, but it is reliable.

Regarding this article, the Glock will not go off without you pulling the trigger. If you would like to add more safety features to the Glock you can, for those out there that are not aware of that. There are multiple videos on the Internet proving this fact.

Personally I have yet to fire a gun I don't like other than the hi-point c-9. I am sure there are some out there that are no good, I just haven't found one as of yet.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The last thing we need is mandatory manual safeties. I know most of you here aren't advocating that but with people blaming the gun it may appear that way to an outside observer.

I wouldn't want to carry a gun with a safety. A gun should be carried in such a way that objects cannot get into the trigger guard, even if there is a safety. If you allow keys in your trigger guard, you might lose a finger.

Most revolvers don't have safeties and it was never an issue in the past. The Glock trigger may be lighter, but it should be up to the user to ensure that his method of carry is safe. It seems that in this case his holster did not protect his trigger sufficiently and he allowed keys to get in it somehow!

This seems like user error to me, not an error with his gun, with his keys, or his holster. Most likely other holsters would stop the keys from getting in, but he was the one that thought it was good enough to use.

Just be careful.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I generally agree (although I personally would never carry a gun without a safety -- it's far too easy to remember to and successfully disengage it to unnecessarily forgo having one), the only thing I want to point out is that Glock owners seem to have rates well above the noise floor when it comes to NDs.

Notice also the officer in question didn't take responsibility; he blamed his equipment. Why, then, should we not suggest he carry more suitable equipment, seeing as he clearly (by his own admission) has a problem with his current kit?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

marshaul wrote:
I generally agree (although I personally would never carry a gun without a safety -- it's far too easy to remember to and successfully disengage it to unnecessarily forgo having one), the only thing I want to point out is that Glock owners seem to have rates well above the noise floor when it comes to NDs.

Notice also the officer in question didn't take responsibility; he blamed his equipment. Why, then, should we not suggest he carry more suitable equipment, seeing as he clearly (by his own admission) has a problem with his current kit?
Yours a crucial point. If the guy doesn't take responsibiliity, blaming some inanimate object (keys, holster, pocket) instead, then he is in denial. Same for chief Rodriguez. Rodriguez seems to be offering up everything but what actually happened: Granillo pulled or pushed the trigger on a loaded GLOCK. GLOCKS always discharge when someone does that...

Notso wrote:
"When we got to him, the gun was still the in holster . . . and the spent cartridge was still in the weapon."

Aha, finally! Away to make a GLOCK jam!

;)

LEO 229

imported post

I hate external safeties. I will never own a gun with one.

This is clearly a freakish accident. The odds of this ever happening again are so remote it is not funny.

I am sure the parents will want guns banned on the property. :?