• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michican OC in the news

irish

imported post

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2009/04/jackson_area_police_receive_se.html

Jackson area police receive several calls about residents carrying sidearms
by Steven Hepker | Jackson Citizen Patriot
Monday April 27, 2009, 2:17 PM
An apparent organized flexing of Second Amendment rights last weekend was a bit too Wild West for some local citizens and business owners.

Police and deputies responded to a number of complaints about citizens packing sidearms at restaurants, stores and other public areas.

None of the gun carriers was cited.

Michigan's 2001 shall-issue concealed weapons law greatly increased the number of citizens packing handguns. The public, however, does not notice the guns because they are hidden under clothing.

But a shopper with a handgun on his hip in Target is another matter. Security officers followed the man Saturday and contacted city police.

"One of our officers had contact with the man in the parking lot, and that was the end of it," Lt. Christopher Simpson said. "He was carrying legally."

Blackman Township officers responded to reports of a diner with a handgun in a hip holster at Bob Evans Restaurant on West Avenue, and another with a visible sidearm at Wal-Mart on E. Michigan Avenue.

"We verified they were legitimate side carries," Blackman Township Public Safety Director Jon Johnston said.

While the appearance of citizens carrying weapons is unsettling to some, it also is an expression of freedom.

"Sometimes it is a matter of educating the public that this is a constitutional right," Johnston said. "We do not take enforcement action against those who obey the law."

Sheriff's deputies, meanwhile, were called to Vandercook Lake to check out two suspicious males, each carrying a handgun on his side.

It was a father and son, and the father also was packing two concealed handguns, sheriff's Capt. Kevin Stellingworth said. The father has a concealed-weapons permit.

Stellingworth and Undersheriff Thomas Finco said that citizens who exercise the right to carry guns openly should realize it alarms the public and police.

"It hypes people up to see someone carrying a gun," Finco said. "What people don't realize is it is perfectly legal."

Aside from designated pistol-free areas, such as schools, bars, stadiums, churches and hospitals, most public and private areas in Michigan are open to both concealed weapons and open sidearms.

Stellingworth said law officers and business owners cannot become complacent regarding citizens showing weapons.

Because more citizens are choosing to carry weapons in public, police trainers are addressing that by incorporating scenarios in which officers approach those who could be exercising a right, or are up to no good.

EDIT: I normally don't post in the Michigan area so if this should be posted somewhere else please feel free to move it.

wally1120

imported post

I love how the newspaper just half ass`s the story I am the son that was stopped in vandercook lake the incident was fullblown droped on grouned detained got a big deal about the deal. but am going to do it again Sunday May 10,2009

cabman1

imported post

welcome to the group wally i will try to make it to open carry with you but i have to be at jcoc at noon on sunday i am the new member there and we meet each other last night and was discussing this where did u have plans on doing the open carry at

T Vance

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I love how the newspaper just half ass`s the story I am the son that was stopped in vandercook lake the incident was fullblown droped on grouned detained got a big deal about the deal. but am going to do it again Sunday May 10,2009
I saw those 2 Sheriff cars up the street from my house. It was about 1 hour after my run in with the JPD.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO Wally. Please add your location under your screen name. Go to My Account and then Profile.

T Vance

imported post

wally1120 wrote:

I'll be there at my house right by that park in Vandercook that day.

Also, please use commas and periods. It is hard to completely understand what you are saying.

For example, what do you mean when you say "the incident was fullblown droped on grouned detained got a big deal about the deal"?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
wally1120 wrote:

I'll be there at my house right by that park in Vandercook that day.

Also, please use commas and periods. It is hard to completely understand what you are saying.

For example, what do you mean when you say "the incident was fullblown droped on grouned detained got a big deal about the deal"?
Face down (proned) on the ground and probably cuffed.

T Vance

imported post

For my incidentit says "One of our officers had contact with the man in the parking lot, and that was the end of it". I don't know about the other people that had encounters that were in this story, but they make mine sound like it was a quick "oh, he is only OCing. No problems here. Let's go. You have a nice day sir". Well that was not the case.