Thread: Why do you OC?

Post imported post

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

As I read the forum, I've very curious why people open carry. At a base it is for personal defense. But I wonder about those who seem to carry more for the intent of daring someone to say something about it. I'm not saying everyone who OCs is doing so for that reason, but I've seen a few (not just here)who are more concerned with having a voicecorder and howto deal with a LEO than defendingagainst BGs.

I would think OC has the benefit over CC by not only having a tool for self-defense, but also for education. I mean, the more of us who OC, the more it is "normal", the less panicky MWAG calls are made, and the more BGs have to wonder who is CC.

Main reason I ask is I worry about that whole intent thing. Carrying for defense and so that someone can see "normal" people carrywould in no way beto cause alarm. Carrying to intimidate and bully people into letting us exercise our rights and dare LEOs to contact us so we can tell them how wrong they are and drawing the weapon to diffuse a situation when using the weapon for defense wouldn't be justified is a little trickier.

I ask myself this stuff everytime I ask "Do I need to carrytoday? If a LEO contacts me am I going to have the intent of a pleasant encounter or a chip on my shoulder?" Was curious about others' thoughts.

Post imported post

Because I can.
    Because it's simpler/more comfortable than concealing.
    Because I can.
    Because I can draw faster than from concealed.
    Because I can.
    Because it's been shown to deter crime (a concealed gun has never deterred anything).
    Because I can.
    Because it gives me a chance to show people that a man carrying a gun is no big deal.
    Because I can.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

mahkagari wrote:
    I'm not saying everyone who OCs is doing so for that reason, but I've seen a few (not just here)who are more concerned with having a voicecorder and howto deal with a LEO than defendingagainst BGs.
    First off, welcome to the forum! People in this forum are concerned about protecting their rights in an LEO encounter due to our method of carry. If we didn't care about defending against BGs, we wouldn't carry at all. I doubt there are many of us would carry a voice recorder if we were not carrying a gun.

I carry a gun to protect myself and my family. I open carry because it's easier & more comfortable than CC, it's a deterrent and it's a tool to educate. I also don't feel the need to hide the fact that I'm armed.

Post imported post

Why I open carry...

My reasons are in no particular order.

1. Easy access to my weapon should I need it.

I've timed myself on my draw/aim/fire/hit both concealed and open. Open is by far the fastest.

2. Because I can.

This state recognizes my right to keep and bear arms. It also recognizes that how I do so is my choice.

3. I feel that being visibly armed is a deterrent.

If an attacker has me picked out as an individual and they notice I am armed they are more likely to pick another target.

4. It is a way to educate the public.

A lot of people views lean toward any person that carries a firearm is a criminal. It is good for other people to see another person conducting their daily life while armed.

5. I'm not worried about being singled out and shot right off the bat during a robbery.

Unless I'm standing gun side to the door with no sight obstructions an armed robber is unlikely to notice I'm armed when they come through the door.

6. Comfort.

My style of dress is not based on my firearm. My firearm is part of my style of dress.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Post imported post

I OC because...

1. It's my only option. I started carrying when I was 18 (so no CCW) and I still havent received my permit. But even when I do get my permit, I will still OC the majority of the time.

2. To defend myself, my family, my friends, and the people around me

3. I can draw faster

4. It is more comfortable

5. It deters crime

6. It educates the public

7. It is my right
    "There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

Post imported post

I only open carry FOR MYSELF and my wife - for OUR SAFETY.

It is my goal that when others observe this person open carrying - they see a respectful, responsible, member of the communitywho has armed himself as a precaution against criminal threat.

I will offer no apology or explaination for being armed for the purpose of defense of my person, since I am armed under authority of Colorado law. The justifiable reasonsfor assuming responsibility for one's own safety are a matter of public knowledge available to anyone who pays attention to news reports.I will comply with Colorado law regarding restrictions as to where I may legally wear a displayed firearm.

Post imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:

It is my goal that when others observe this person open carrying - they see a respectful, responsible, member of the communitywho has armed himself as a precaution against criminal threat.

I will offer no apology or explaination for being armed for the purpose of defense of my person, since I am armed under authority of Colorado law. The justifiable reasonsfor assuming responsibility for one's own safety are a matter of public knowledge available to anyone who pays attention to news reports.I will comply with Colorado law regarding restrictions as to where I may legally wear a displayed firearm.

I wholeheartedly agree. We REALLY need to get our fellow citizens to see that the right to bear arms is not about a bunch of right-wing kooks puffing their chests nor is it an arcane principle that is no longer relevant in this country. I see it as not just a right but a RESPONSIBILITY.

Bottom line is I carry becuase it is my right, I have a responsibility, and yes, I want to make a statement to my fellow citizens.

Post imported post

I prefer to CC. However, I OC when I feel like it because it's my right and recognized here in CO. This country trusted me to carry 1000# bombs, I guess it can trust me to carry a .45. I did it in VA because it was more comfortable in that climate. I did it in NH because often the pistol I carried didn't lend itself to CC. I do not, for the life of me, understand why TX doesn't permit it. That is the greatest absurdity with respect to the 2A I can imagine. Of all places. But, that is a discussion for another day.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V