• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So here is a new one for those in NOVA….

Stafford_1911

imported post

I’m sure some of you have seen signs around certain places, some private buildings but mostly federal buildings, prohibiting smoking within so many feet of an entrance. I have on several occasions been yelled at by security staff as I walk past an entrance, on a sidewalk, with a cigar (all have been federal buildings). Every time it’s happened has been in Arlington or Crystal city.

My question is, has anyone been hassled for carrying within the same perimeter? I know (Federal Register: December 22, 2008 Volume 73, Number 246 Notices Page 78360-78361)that there is a policy against smoking within so many feet of an entrance; but does anyone know if they try to enforce the same exclusion zone with weapons? More specifically has anyone had an issue with some of the buildings around the Pentagon Mall?

Stafford_1911

imported post

It’s an exclusion zone of 25 ft for smoking. Some of the entrances are directly off of public sidewalks. The FPS and PFPA can get pretty adamant about enforcing it, especially if you slow down to wait for someone.

Again I’ve never been armed at the time but they really don’t like cigars.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Stafford_1911 wrote:
It’s an exclusion zone of 25 ft for smoking. Some of the entrances are directly off of public sidewalks. The FPS and PFPA can get pretty adamant about enforcing it, especially if you slow down to wait for someone.

You must not know the secret words!:lol:
If the secret words don't work.....I light a second cigarette and repeat the secret words.

(A hint...Two words and the last one is "you")

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Stafford_1911 wrote:

If the secret words don't work.....I light a second cigarette and repeat the secret words.

:lol::lol:

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Stafford_1911 wrote:

Are those two words "Thank you"?:cool: We must be civil! Make sure you smile at them when you say it. It makes them crazy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Stafford_1911 wrote:

Are those two words "Thank you"?:cool: We must be civil! Make sure you smile at them when you say it. It makes them crazy.
Well....yes, they are two magic words, but not the ones I was thinking of for this situation. I reserve those words for most fellow gun owners, polite police officers and ladies (which does not include all females).

As a matter of fact, I had to use magic words on a woman at a Va Beach company yesterday and as a result....I may have to go to church twice on Sunday!:uhoh:

bohdi

imported post

peter nap wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Stafford_1911 wrote:

Well....yes, they are two magic words, but not the ones I was thinking of for this situation. I reserve those words for most fellow gun owners, polite police officers and ladies (which does not include all females).

As a matter of fact, I had to use magic words on a woman at a Va Beach company yesterday and as a result....I may have to go to church twice on Sunday!:uhoh:
What magic words did you speak, marry me? lol

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bohdi wrote:
peter nap wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Stafford_1911 wrote:

What magic words did you speak, marry me? lol

Not quite...but I did ask Sarah Palin if she was interested. She must be really busy because I haven't heard back from her yet:?