• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger Redhawk vs S&W 629

curtiswr

imported post

I have the option of a brand new Redhawk in .44 magnum with a 4 inch barrel or a S&W 629 (Classic DX or something like that) with a 6 inch barrel.

The Ruger is brand new, the 629 would be used. They are the same price.

They both fit my hand fine. Which would you recommend and why? I've heard that Rugers are the toughest of the tough, and after owning a GP-100 I don't doubt it. The lockup on the S&W when in full lock up was impeccable. Everything checked out on it, didn't look like it had been used too much at all.

Decisions... decisions.

LeMat

imported post

I've owed a number of both Ruger and Smith's. This is only my opinion, but the only thing a Smith has over a Ruger is perhaps a better trigger (well, they're a bit easier on the eyes as well ;) ).

The Redhawk is simply a stronger gun - period. There's a reason why loading manuals have "Ruger Only Loads" and not "Smith Only Loads". ;) I don't buy into the whole "you'll shoot a Smith loose after so-many rounds" thing, but I do have more confidence in the fact that my Rugers are just plain tough.

A 4" barrel will be a bit handier when packing out in the woods and the fps you lose compared to a 6" won't really matter to whatever you come up against.

Both companies have excellant CS, so if anything goes wrong, they'll square you away.

I'm just a bit biased towards Ruger's as I shoot some pretty stout loads and I know that it can handle them. I know the Smith could as well, but perhaps for not as long.

curtiswr

imported post

I made my decision.

IMG_1155.jpg

Gordie

imported post

Good choice! Since you went with the Ruger, you also now have a hammer, jack handle, club (for times when you run out of ammo or just don't want to perforate something), wheel chock,.....:lol:

Just kidding, those things are tough though.:celebrate

I have the 629, the trigger is great, but I wouldn't mind getting a Ruger for wilderness carry (bears and mountain lions), you just can't break those things without trying.

curtiswr

imported post

I love it so far, just playing around with it and holding it. The heft of it... just amazing and satisfying! On the quest for a holster for it. Thinking Simply Rugged, just gotta find the funds. Just ordered a Wilderness belt for it... need something a bit more than my Occidental for this. :D

LeMat

imported post

I own a Simply Rugged pancake and like it very much.

I also use a Galco D.A.O. and tend to use it more when out in the woods.I feel more comfortable with a strap when I'm out there.

http://store.packinheatleather.com/bgadaoduacou.html

I highly recommend Packin' Heat and have found that the prices are excellant and the service is some of the best out there. That is the only place I order anything Galco or Bianchi.

GunList014.jpg

curtiswr

imported post

The absence of the strap was the only thing making me wary about the Simply Rugged holster. I see that they allow for the addition of a safety strap for 10 dollars extra. Would that satisfy it? I'm confused about that/the wording of it.

It is between the Galco DAO and the SR Sourdough Pancake, however.

LeMat

imported post

I'd be curious to see how the removeable safety strap on the SR works. I love my SR and the gun does sit pretty far down inside. The holster rides nice and high - very tight as well. I've often CC'd my Redhawk and my wife couldn't believe that it didn't print whatsoever. If carrying strong side, theSR is the way to go.

I generally carry crossdraw while in the woods as I'm often on my dirtbike. I find the DAO works a bit better for crossdraw.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably go with the strap option on the SR as it is a bit more versatile than the Galco I feel. The Galco is not conducive to proper CC as far as I'm concerned.

curtiswr

imported post

Found an image of it on their site.

lg_sp_04.jpg

Little long, but they say it's "[size="-1"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]Made long for a positive sweep off with the hand." Makes sense. I blew money today on a video game so now I gotta wait to get a holster for the Redhawk. :lol:
[/size][/font][/size]

LeMat

imported post

Ah yes................. I believe Elmer Keith was a big fan of that type of strap (I think it may even be described as a "Keith Strap" or something along those lines). Lots of material to grab hold of. I might have read that Mr. Venturino likes that style as well.

KansasMustang

imported post

Good choice, was out on the road so I couldn't comment on your decision making process. But I've owned my Ruger Redhawk since 86 in 4 5/8ths" barrel. And I named 'er Bertha,,Bertha Butts, she's one of the Butts sisters. And she says "I'll sock it to ya Daddy. Mean,,she's just a mean ole biyatch. Let's loose the thunder!! And she has that pucker power goin on when all ya gotta do is "Brandish and flourish" a BG goes awwwww sh*t. Never had to fire her in anger,,or self defense,,yet. Pulled 'er out twice and got the desired affect, two BG's havin to change drawers. Hope I never do have to shoot, cuz even if I miss, the vacuum caused by the bullet whippin by will suck all the oxygen away and they'll asphyxiate. Just funnin. But seriously, Ruger makes a fine piece and I think you'll love it.

Fred Kenpo

imported post

I couldn't decide between a Ruger Redhawk and a Smith No. 29, so I got both (born lucky, I guess). My Ruger Redhawk is 6" and the No. 29 is 4." I ordered a Rob Leahy pancake holster, which allows me to carry the Redhawk concealed. Here are my totally subjective impressions. The Redhawk is the more heavy duty; it is heavier, so the recoil is more manageable. It doesn't hurt my hand as much, and I can be sloppy all day. I can use heavier loads, which is cool. The No. 29 is much more acccurate. I hit the target (a cardboard cut out about the size of a man's chest), about 94% of the time with the No. 29 and 67% of the time with the Redhawk. The No. 29 is prettier, but the Redhawk is more durable, so I've dubbed them Mary and Martha. I carry Martha, but polish Mary more.

Fred Kenpo

imported post

I couldn't decide between a Ruger Redhawk and a Smith No. 29, so I got both (born lucky, I guess). My Ruger Redhawk is 6" and the No. 29 is 4." I ordered a Rob Leahy pancake holster, which allows me to carry the Redhawk concealed. Here are my totally subjective impressions. The Redhawk is the more heavy duty; it is heavier, so the recoil is more manageable. It doesn't hurt my hand as much, and I can be sloppy all day. I can use heavier loads, which is cool. The No. 29 is much more acccurate. I hit the target (a cardboard cut out about the size of a man's chest), about 94% of the time with the No. 29 and 67% of the time with the Redhawk. The No. 29 is prettier, but the Redhawk is more durable, so I've dubbed them Mary and Martha. I carry Martha, but polish Mary more.

curtm1911

imported post

Practice with Martha more and those numbers will rise. Enjoy your Practice.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:D

BTW, born lucky, I am not even gonna go there, I was born Good Lookin'..........

Fred Kenpo

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
Practice with Martha more and those numbers will rise. Enjoy your Practice.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:D

BTW, born lucky, I am not even gonna go there, I was born Good Lookin'..........

Born good looking is better. I just read where you are more likely to be hired and promoted if you are good looking, and in this economy that's important. (Or were you thinking of the Ladies...;))

Good advice about practice. I expect you're right. The more I use Martha, the more good lucking she seems to be too. :celebrate

curtiswr

imported post

Holster arrived today from packinheatleather.com ! I love it. I went with the DAO because after looking at pictures of the SR Sourdough I concluded that the DAO would take up less space overall and interfere less with access to my back pocket and/or front pocket. Great fit. Took it out when walking the dogs and rides great; makes me wanna get something similar for my 1911.

Redhawk_Galco.jpg

:celebrate