• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Gun Do You OC?

Sheriff

imported post

Colorado Luckydog wrote:
.....just wondering if most of you carried semis are revolvers and what calibers?

Depends on which week you ask the question. :D

But this week, I just landed a brand new S&W .45 model 4566 from the Kentucky State Police. It was suppose to be issued to badge #298 as evidenced by the special serial number, but it never made it into service. I am carrying it now, until I buy another new toy. :lol:

283781.jpg

edited for TYPO

Sheriff

imported post

If I am in a hurry leaving home, and want something to slip on and off fast, I often grab this one. Virginia State Police Commemorative issue model 66-1 stainless steel .357 magnum.

283796.jpg

283797.jpg

Pamiam

imported post

BhmBill wrote:
Pamiam wrote:
That's pretty cute. On what occasions and with what kind of outfit?

I'd do big frames in blue jeans to events where I specifically wanted it to be noticed and/or was using it in competition.

Small frames in other realms.

Shiny in some, subdued in others.

Belt in some, shoulder in others - same for ankle, thigh, belly and back. Holsters are important accessories. They make the same gun more versatile. ;)

What rigs do y'all have for different occasions? Business casual events, formal events, kid events, gardening, etc?

Does anyone own only one rig and carry the same rig for every occasion? If so, how do you best work it out and are you considering other additions to the wardrobe?
Other than making sure the gun wasn't concealed when out and about, i haven't really thought about "looks" and "matching" when carrying. So far, the black gun and holster seems to go with everything I own.

99% of the time I wear dark to light blue jeans, black or white shirt with a dark or light colored unbuttoned over shirt and a pair of red/black DC's, sometimes a black beanie in the winter. Not alot of options when you're 6'4" 350lbs.

I currently only have one rig and carry piece, when I get my CCW, i'll probably get a shoulder rig and carry and wear it under a overshirt.
From reading this thread, my response appears to be unique.

Not alot of options when you're 6'4" 350lbs.
...and male - and I must say, not much of a target, either. 6'4 and 350 lbs isn't exactly the prime profile for the bad guys.

Women don't have that advantage, so we need a lot more options - particularly those of us in states w/o oc.

If you guys ever find yourself in need of a carry solution for a specific circumstance, consult an experienced woman. She won't let you down.

As a sidenote: I've seen some guys running around sporting 454 Casulls and/or equivalents, and it's a huge turn-off. Girls know exactly why he made that choice, and it wasn't with defense in mind. If you have a buddy like that, slap him for me. ;)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pamiam wrote:
BhmBill wrote:
Pamiam wrote:

I'd do big frames in blue jeans to events where I specifically wanted it to be noticed and/or was using it in competition.

Belt in some, shoulder in others - same for ankle, thigh, belly and back. Holsters are important accessories. They make the same gun more versatile. ;)

What rigs do y'all have for different occasions? Business casual events, formal events, kid events, gardening, etc?

Does anyone own only one rig and carry the same rig for every occasion? If so, how do you best work it out and are you considering other additions to the wardrobe?
Other than making sure the gun wasn't concealed when out and about, i haven't really thought about "looks" and "matching" when carrying. So far, the black gun and holster seems to go with everything I own.

99% of the time I wear dark to light blue jeans, black or white shirt with a dark or light colored unbuttoned over shirt and a pair of red/black DC's, sometimes a black beanie in the winter. Not alot of options when you're 6'4" 350lbs.

I currently only have one rig and carry piece, when I get my CCW, i'll probably get a shoulder rig and carry and wear it under a overshirt.

...and male - and I must say, not much of a target, either. 6'4 and 350 lbs isn't exactly the prime profile for the bad guys.

Women don't have that advantage, so we need a lot more options - particularly those of us in states w/o oc.

If you guys ever find yourself in need of a carry solution for a specific circumstance, consult an experienced woman. She won't let you down.

As a sidenote: I've seen some guys running around sporting 454 Casulls and/or equivalents, and it's a huge turn-off. Girls know exactly why he made that choice, and it wasn't with defense in mind. If you have a buddy like that, slap him for me. ;)
Are you knocking my SA .45 missy? I'll have you know that I always wear a cowboy hat dailey. You can't accuse me of not coordinating. :p

BhmBill

imported post

Pamiam wrote:
BhmBill wrote:
Pamiam wrote:

You never know when you're in public and a some guy whom is OTHER than sober will want to prove his manliness when i'm with my girlfriend and/or kids and try to fight me because of my size.

I'm pretty confident that my super schweet clothes collection looks fine on me, and only looks better with a black revolver in a black holster on the hip.

I never had the urge to carry anything over .44 mag size, but I was afraid I MAY have to take my CCW class and use my .500 mag BFR revolver to take it because that was the only gun I had available and didn't have the funds for anything practical. I'm glad I ended up with the S&W 581.

If I need help looking fabulous, i'll be sure to hit you up, Pamiam :D

RedKnightt

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Depends on which week you ask the question. :D

But this week, I just landed a brand new S&W .45 model 4566 from the Kentucky State Police. It was suppose to be issued to badge #298 as evidenced by the special serial number, but it never made it into service. I am carrying it now, until I buy another new toy. :lol:

283781.jpg

edited for TYPO
That's a nice looking handgun. How does it carry/shoot?

Sheriff

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
That's a nice looking handgun. How does it carry/shoot?

Shoots just like my various 4506 models.

And weighs just a tad less then the 4506 model.

It's a little on the heavy side, but I am used to by now. Carried a 4506 on duty for many years.

Statesman

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
For all the people open carrying in a Fobus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

Obviously, that is a staged event. In a real life event such as such, I would hope a person would know to turn to their right very quickly and deck the bad guy with his left fist. God help a stupid friend if he is dumb enough to attempt this stunt onme without my knowing, he will most likely end up with a black eye or broken nose at best.
IMHO, in such a life threatening experience, the quickest route for me would be; while grasping BGs wrist with the left hand, to turn right, and insert a sharp right elbow to the Vegas nerve in the neck, throat, temple, or the pressure point between the jawbone and ear.

20 points: Vegas nerve: heart enters arrhythmic state, BG drops to the ground grasping his chest in fear of his life; freaks out....

15 points:
Ear/Jaw: BG drops immediately and is out cold for several seconds.

10 points: Temple strike: BG's carotid artery ruptures immediately, passes out and expires.

5 points BG's throat gets hit, goes down gasping for air.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

OC: Bianchi Black Ballistic Nylon Accumold thumb-break holster (Left Handed) for an H&K USP45.

CC: Pretty darn big "fanny pack" worn over right hip with "dangly thing" keychain attached to the corner of weapon compartment that allows the 2 zippers to release quickly. Other stuff fits in the pack, too: 2 extra 12-round magazines, wallet, keys, cellphone and "OC cards" for public education.

unreconstructed1

imported post

right now I carry a Hi Point C9, and a phoenix arms HP22...

at some point, I would like to upgrade to either a 1911 or an XD for main carry, and a Kel-tec P3AT BUG

Pamiam

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
A Springfield Armory M1911 A1, .45 ACP in a Serpa Blackhawk holster.
Simply because it is the gun I am most familiar, and most proficient with.
Excellent choice, then! :celebrate

I like different guns for different occasions/clothes.

I try to carry at least a 9mm, but admit to downgrading as low as a 32 on occasions. 40 is my prime choice.

I've never had to use any of them, thank God!