• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Convincing the parents

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:
My dad still doesn't want me to keep a loaded firearm in the house. My brother and mom both know I CC at home (loaded of course). Been a year now and everything's still just fine. Recently he said I probably had one or two guns around just in case and didn't seem to care either. I of course don't have guns left around, I only have my one 9mm I keep on me 24/7 and never leave it unattended.

He came to an OC dinner at Ted's last year too, I think it got him more comfortable with the idea of OC.

Edit: nice holster!
Yeah, how does it retain and how do you release it? Can you release quickly, like real quickly?
It is basically just like the Serpa, but with your middle finger on the release. The leather is breaking in so it's a tad tight right now, but it will loosen up.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Yea I have my Glock loaded (not chambered of course) under my pillow every night either at home or here. I put it away when I get up so they have never noticed.
I keep my S&W chambered, safety on (unless holstered, then safety's off so the thumbbreak will snap, then it's like a revolver) next to my bed on the floor. I wake up, and put it IWB (I got a cheapie nylon IWB I'm going to try temporarily so it won't slip down my pant leg). Since the gun has a positive manual safety I don't feel anything's "unsafe" having it carried that way. When at school I put it holstered "in a safe place where no one will find it or access it", and no its not on my body.

My Gould & Goodrich duty holster has several retentions. First, it has a steel reinforced thumb break. It also has a trigger guard lock that requires a special "rocking" of the gun to release it. It's my "winter" OC rig since it rides low and away from the body which allows me to wear it with my wool coat. Summer I use an Accumold thumb break which rides higher and closer, it's also molded for the specific gun unlike most other nylon holsters, and it's very thick and durable. (Picture below)
1d.jpg

I'm not sure if it fits older S&W autos with square trigger guards, but I think G&A warehouse had a leather paddle holster for a 5906 awhile ago for like 45-50 bucks, wonder if its still there?

hunter45

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Yea I have my Glock loaded (not chambered of course) under my pillow every night either at home or here. I put it away when I get up so they have never noticed.

I keep mine on my nightstand WITH a round chambered. But at school, I just have my buck knife. :?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I keep mine on my nightstand WITH a round chambered. But at school, I just have my buck knife. :?
Yea when I am on campus I have my 2-3/4" Kershaw:shock::cry:

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I have my 3.5" buck knife and flashlight. After being caught during a power outage last year at GMU I don't go anywhere without the light! My gun's put away in a safe place.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Yea I got detained by the Prince WIlliam County Police at Nissan Pavilion a few years back for my 3-3/8" Kershaw. That was such a fun experience in handcuffs.:uhoh: First time I had ever been to a concert and I had come straight from work. I forgot that it was in my pocket and somehow a cop spotted it and they tackeled me.:shock: I was 17 so they had to call my parents. I'll never live that one down. The cops were really nice once they learned that I wasn't trying to stab anyone.:) They put it in a lock box and gave me a key to come back after the concert and get it. I learned right then and there that I HATE handcuffs:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
You know you're an old fart when you use phrases like, "of that which they fear". :lol:

Good advice too there grapes.
I try to never use a preposition to end a sentence with. :)

Good grammar being a part of a good image is a lesson well remembered.

Insofar as being an old fart, I'm surely guilty of worse things - if I could only remember what they are.

It does give me hope though when I see the next great generation taking a positive stance for our freedoms and liberties.

We need more like CRF250rider1000 who want to both make the world a safer place and show honor and respect to their parents.

Yata hey

Riana

imported post

A question for you: Do your parents have a problem with OC, or with carry in general? If you had your CHP, would it bother them that you were concealing a firearm all over town? I think you need to probe deeper and find out what the specific issue(s) is/are and address it/them directly.

Part of the problem may be as some others have said - they're having difficulty adjusting to you being "all grown up," or they think you're too immature for the responsibility. Part of it, though, may be that they're concerned you're going to run into trouble with the law, or someone will take your firearm and use it against you(common OC myth).

Good luck to you!

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Riana wrote:
A question for you: Do your parents have a problem with OC, or with carry in general? If you had your CHP, would it bother them that you were concealing a firearm all over town? I think you need to probe deeper and find out what the specific issue(s) is/are and address it/them directly.

Part of the problem may be as some others have said - they're having difficulty adjusting to you being "all grown up," or they think you're too immature for the responsibility. Part of it, though, may be that they're concerned you're going to run into trouble with the law, or someone will take your firearm and use it against you(common OC myth).

Good luck to you!
My parents said that when I'm 21 and have my CHP I can do whatever I want. I think they just have an issue with me OCing not CCing.

hunter45

imported post

All of us who under 21 should go to your house while OC'ing. If that's what all the other kids are doing, then maybe they'll be OK with it. :D

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
All of us who under 21 should go to your house while OC'ing. If that's what all the other kids are doing, then maybe they'll be OK with it. :D
peer pressure FTW! :lol::lol:

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
When I have to leave mine in the truck, I have a cable lock that goes through the rear seat frame, the frame of the pistol, and the slide. Try to steal that suckers!
31EWRB6G0YL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

just messin' with you
:lol::lol:;)

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
When I have to leave mine in the truck, I have a cable lock that goes through the rear seat frame, the frame of the pistol, and the slide. Try to steal that suckers!
31EWRB6G0YL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

just messin' with you
:lol::lol:;)
At least I tried. It's a beefy cable though. It looks just like this.
mas8413.jpg
Ok then my cutter is useless against that beast :what:

nova

imported post

While we're posting holster/gun pics, here's some more I just snapped of my current OC setup. It's a S&W 659 btw.

First pic...a polished leather duty holster by Gould & Goodrich that retails for 160 bucks new...I got it free, minus the 5 dollar shipping from an AR15.com member!

b.jpg

Next is a Bianch Ranger Shadow, a high ride thin nylon thumb break holster that pulls the gun in close to the body.

a.jpg

Lastly, my Bianch Accumold, which is a molded holster made of very thick nylon that holds its shape as good as leather.

c.jpg

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I'd have to agree with what most everyone has said: Be polite, state your case and try to have a civilized discussion...but in the end, you are responsible for your life. Literally. If you committed a crime at 20, you'd be tried as an adult. If you go to jail, they won't be calling your parents. Your school can't even tell your parents anything about your academic record unless YOU authorize it.

In the end I went the more passive aggressive way about it when I was 18. I started open carrying up at school, then sorta hinted at it at home, but intentionally avoided the conversation...rarely OC'd at home and then the day I turned 21 essentially laid it all out for them: "I've just applied for my permit, I have 2 pistols, I've been OC'ing and I will continue to OC in addition to CC." Blank stares were followed by my dad ranting about guns killing people and then my mom saying something like "well you won't carry that everywhere, will you?"

Gave it a few months...now about to turn 23 and when I go home my mom knows how to hug me w/out hitting my holster, even when concealed.

My actual advice you can act on: Just do it. (And lose the earring :lol:)

As an aside: OC'd today at Red Robin and got hit on a lot by the waitress, which ain't normal for me. My buddy claimed it was because of the pretty gun/holster. Even got a heart around her name on the receipt and a "Have a great afternoon/NIGHT" with a wink written at the top. Fiancee was enthralled when I told her :p

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
They all look pretty nice! You can make the pistol look so small compared to when I carry:p
Haha thats why I carry a 5" XD45 sometimes...it looks more "normal" sized when worn on this giant.

But that 659 is all stainless steel too and weights almost 40oz yet it doesn't feel like it and is very comfortable actually. The styling is similar to a 1911 (even has a removable barrel bushing!) which is probably why I like the looks of it so much
hearts.gif