• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Curious anyone OC

sirpuma

imported post

:shock: Has anyone OCed on the ferries? I don't see anything illegal about it; ferries aren't mentioned in state law. I generally CC when I ride the ferries because I really don't need a passenger or two to freak out, call 911, have the ship stopped in mid voyage and have DHS with Coast Guard storming the ship.:uhoh: But as the summer gets closer and the weather gets warmer, I find it hard to wear a big coat to cover up my big pistol. I'm getting more and more tempted to OC even on the ferries.:what:

jeeper1

imported post

I have been a Washington state resident for four and two thirds years and in that time I have made three round trips on the ferries. I'd rather drive around through Tacoma then get back on a ferry because of motion sickness and the fact that it is cheaper. I mean $28 Edmonds to Kingston in a pickup just plain sucks!

just_a_car

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
I have been a Washington state resident for four and two thirds years and in that time I have made three round trips on the ferries. I'd rather drive around through Tacoma then get back on a ferry because of motion sickness and the fact that it is cheaper. I mean $28 Edmonds to Kingston in a pickup just plain sucks!
+1. I live in Edmonds, so it's pretty much coasting down the hill to the ferry for me. But I still would rather drive all the way down to Tacoma, over the narrows bridge and up than take the ferry; that's what I did for the Kitsap picnic.

With my little 91 Honda CRX Si, I never get less than 30MPG and average 32-35MPG (40 on long trips). The cost in gas and time is way less than dealing with the ferry.

sempercarry

imported post

I carried on the ferry from port angeles to oak harbor for the oc meet at island cafeand had nothing more than a few strange looks and a guy telling his buddy that I had a gun and makeing a gun with his hand while telling him.

phoneguy

imported post

sempercarrysempercarry wrote:
I carried on the ferryangelesort angeles to oak harboc for the oc meet at island cafeand had nothing more than a few strange looks and a guy telling his buddy that I hadmakeingand makeing a gun with his hand while telling him.
I also carried on the ferry that same day. There was a cop I believe was a cadet. He ask me what agency I was from. I told him I am just regular citizen and weekend warier. He said cool. I also ment a nice couple with beautiful pure breed boxer. That couple was also open carrying.

Machoduck

imported post

"I also ment a nice couple with beautiful pure breed boxer. That couple was also open carrying."

If you're referring to Mrs. Duck and myself, then the dog was Aki, our one year old Bull Mastiff. Nice meeting you again, too.

MD

PS: On that whole excursion to Island Cafe the only notice we got was by a couple of young men waiting for their table who tried to make humorous comments. On the ferry, nada.

triehl27

imported post

I ride the Mulkltio-whidbey run fairly often. The only time I have been stop while ocing was last year by an armed coast guard patrol on board. And the stop was for my shirt not for my OC. I was wearing a Official CG Homeland Sec. Shirt. And I was working with Homeland at the time. They wanted to know where I worked, and verified that, it was only about halfway through that one of them notices the Glock. There 1st class asked if he could secure it, I told him no, i'm not handling it, i'm not planning on handling it it is safer in it's holster you want it secured then you need to get a stater Patty to do it, I am not handing it over to you. He had no issue, my verification came back and all of a sudden I was everyones friend.

The kid that noticed the glock actually made me nervous, he didn't want to secure it like his 1st class did, he wanted to take it and "Check it out"

No way was I gonna have that.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I did the Seattle/Bremerton trip and back OCing my revolver, and transported a cased longarm back, all as a walkon with no problems.

heresolong

imported post

I've been carrying on the PT ferry pretty regularly over the past year and a half, probably six or seven trips in all. Never had a problem. It sure is easier than wearing a shoulder rig and then trying to keep it covered while I take my motorcycle jacket off like I used to do before I knew about OC.

sirpuma

imported post

This all sounds great, thank guys.:celebrate:celebrate I LOLed about the CG guys wanting to Secure or Check Out the glock. :shock::lol: Guess I feel better about OC when I take the ferry next. As the weather is getting warmer I didn't want to have to wear my BDU jacket to cover up.

FMCDH

imported post

triehl27 wrote:
I ride the Mulkltio-whidbey run fairly often. The only time I have been stop while ocing was last year by an armed coast guard patrol on board. And the stop was for my shirt not for my OC. I was wearing a Official CG Homeland Sec. Shirt. And I was working with Homeland at the time. They wanted to know where I worked, and verified that, it was only about halfway through that one of them notices the Glock. There 1st class asked if he could secure it, I told him no, i'm not handling it, i'm not planning on handling it it is safer in it's holster you want it secured then you need to get a stater Patty to do it, I am not handing it over to you. He had no issue, my verification came back and all of a sudden I was everyones friend.

The kid that noticed the glock actually made me nervous, he didn't want to secure it like his 1st class did, he wanted to take it and "Check it out"

No way was I gonna have that.
Facepalm! :banghead:

So sorry brother.

Boarding teams are taught to secure all firearms during a boarding, OR to secure the area that they are kept. Probably a little of that ingrained training taking over, but still, he should not have asked to "secure" your weapon away from you.

You did great, and the PO1 did exactly what he is trained to do, but when he realized this it was a different situation than the private craft or shipping vessels he is taught to board, than he laid off.

The nice thing when dealing with the Coast Guard vs the police is that there is a definitive person in charge who calls the shots based upon "superior rank due to superior knowledge". Lesser ranks can call things to attention or make suggestions or corrections that the senior may not have considered, but its the senior POs call in the end and no one is going to step over the line that he draws.

Police on the other hand have a tendency to follow the most aggressive guy in the pack regardless of rank and they dont question eachothers actions in front of a "civilian". :quirky

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

So just curious, I have well over a dozen guns and a bunch of ammo on my sailboat, scattered throughout where ever I can stuff them. How would you coasties deal with that?