Thread: People from out of state?

Post imported post

This morning I was in CC's coffee on Seigen and was asked if I was a LEO. This struck up a conversation about the legalities of being able to open carry in LA. It started with one patron, then two, then three. All were more curious than anything. Everyone was interested to find out that most states including ours are open carry states.

Typical questions include:
    "How long has LA been an open carry state?"
    "Why do you carry?"
    "Where do you carry?"
    "When do you carry?"

As I educated the small crowd that began to gather, the question was posed by a traveling sales rep, "Can an out of state person open carry?" As I am not a lawyer and fairly new myself to open carry, I didn't know the answer. I pointed them all here, and now I pose the question.

Can an out of state person open carry in Louisiana?

Post imported post

As far as I know, residency is not required to open carry in Louisiana or any state that allows it. Now, there is a caveat here. Some states require permits to open carry. In those states, residency may play a role in whether a non-resident can carry or not.

Post imported post

Is there any state or Criminal law where it depends on being a resident or not. OC or CC for that matter would fall under criminal law, the issuing or honoring of permits would not necessarily but I can't think of any case where residency would matter for criminal actions.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    The ONLY time residency would become a factor would pertain to either hunting or concealed permits.
    As for OC, any citizen can, with the exception of minors and convicted felons who's rights haven't been restored.
    That would be only in the decision to issue the permit. Would a non-resident have a different bag limit than a resident? Of course tribal lands are a different story.

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    The ONLY time residency would become a factor would pertain to either hunting or concealed permits.
    As for OC, any citizen can, with the exception of minors and convicted felons who's rights haven't been restored.
    That would be only in the decision to issue the permit. Would a non-resident have a different bag limit than a resident? Of course tribal lands are a different story.
    There shouldn't be any difference between resident and non-resident bag limits. I've never read anything about that in our hunting laws.