• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

People from out of state?

rmansu2

imported post

This morning I was in CC's coffee on Seigen and was asked if I was a LEO. This struck up a conversation about the legalities of being able to open carry in LA. It started with one patron, then two, then three. All were more curious than anything. Everyone was interested to find out that most states including ours are open carry states.

Typical questions include:
"How long has LA been an open carry state?"
"Why do you carry?"
"Where do you carry?"
"When do you carry?"

As I educated the small crowd that began to gather, the question was posed by a traveling sales rep, "Can an out of state person open carry?" As I am not a lawyer and fairly new myself to open carry, I didn't know the answer. I pointed them all here, and now I pose the question.

Can an out of state person open carry in Louisiana?

99vengeur

imported post

As far as I know, residency is not required to open carry in Louisiana or any state that allows it. Now, there is a caveat here. Some states require permits to open carry. In those states, residency may play a role in whether a non-resident can carry or not.

PT111

imported post

Is there any state or Criminal law where it depends on being a resident or not. OC or CC for that matter would fall under criminal law, the issuing or honoring of permits would not necessarily but I can't think of any case where residency would matter for criminal actions.

PT111

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
The ONLY time residency would become a factor would pertain to either hunting or concealed permits.
As for OC, any citizen can, with the exception of minors and convicted felons who's rights haven't been restored.
That would be only in the decision to issue the permit. Would a non-resident have a different bag limit than a resident? Of course tribal lands are a different story.

imported post

Not a hunter, don't read hunting laws..........sorry.

What's the concern now about hunting on an OC site?

Tribal lands? LOL, you remind me of my girls when they were 4, could ask a million questions just about any and everything.

charlie12

imported post

PT111 wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
The ONLY time residency would become a factor would pertain to either hunting or concealed permits.
As for OC, any citizen can, with the exception of minors and convicted felons who's rights haven't been restored.
That would be only in the decision to issue the permit. Would a non-resident have a different bag limit than a resident? Of course tribal lands are a different story.
There shouldn't be any difference between resident and non-resident bag limits. I've never read anything about that in our hunting laws.