• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in WV State Parks

Chaingun81

imported post

I'm a VA resident and I have a VA CHP.I'll be visiting WV soon and I was going to visit several State Parks while I'm there. After checking out the WV State Parks web site, it seems that uncased firearms are prohibited and Concealed Carry Permit holders are NOT exempt (National Park style). I find it hard to believe that a pro-gun state like WV would restrict carry in their state parks, so I was wondering if someone could clear it out for me whether CC with a VA resident CHPis permitted or not. Thanks in advance!

Note to moderators: I'll post the same in VA forum to get more feedback - please don't delete.

Chaingun81

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Yes. See W.Va. Code § 20-2-6a (overriding all W.Va. Code Chapter 20 restrictions on firearms, including state park rules, with respect to concealed handguns carried by licensed individuals).

Thanks for your response, WVCDL. These laws are confusing as hell - if there is a state law overriding park regulations, shouldn't park regs change to reflect that? Says something like "Uncased firearms prohibited, except for LEOs and people with valid CCPs carrying for sole purpose of self defense"?

So, just to make it absolutely clear and be 100% sure: I can carry a concelead loaded handgun in all WV state parks provided I posess a valid VA resident CHP, right?

Second question, what other places off limits should I be aware of? I suspect regular - schools, courts, airports, government buildings...anything else? What about restaraunts serving alcohol for on-premises consumption (as long as I don't drink of course) - are those restricted like here in VA?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Thanks for your response, WVCDL. These laws are confusing as hell
Yes.

Chaingun81 wrote:
if there is a state law overriding park regulations, shouldn't park regs change to reflect that? Says something like "Uncased firearms prohibited, except for LEOs and people with valid CCPs carrying for sole purpose of self defense"?
That one is very low on the food chain, even for me. A bigger problem is cleaning out a lot of stuff in Chaingun81 wrote:
So, just to make it absolutely clear and be 100% sure: I can carry a concelead loaded handgun in all WV state parks provided I posess a valid VA resident CHP, right?
Yes.

Chaingun81 wrote:
I suspect regular - schools, courts, airports, government buildings...anything else? What about restaraunts serving alcohol for on-premises consumption (as long as I don't drink of course) - are those restricted like here in VA?
Go here. School property (exception for unloaded firearmms in motor vehicles), courthouses, our State Capitol, and correctional facility property are off limits as a matter of state law. Due to a grandfather clause in our preemption law for municipalities, W.Va. Code § 8-12-5a, the cities of Charleston, Dunbar, and South Charleston have valid ordinances totally prohibiting weapons on all city property in those cities. HB 3335, which will also be carried over to 2010, would eliminate grandfathered ordinances and bring state agencies under preemption.

You're good to go in restaurants, bars, airport terminals (outside the secure area), churches, and most state & local government buildings.