• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confiscated gun sales considered

Statesman

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/04/29/met_522115.shtml

Finally someone intelligent who works a PD. Agencies should recuperate costs by selling confiscated weapons instead of destroying them at the end of the time period.
This may actually backfire on "legal" gun owners, by encouraging agencies to confiscate more firearms, to bring in the money for the department. If a quota system is developed, depending on the ethical nature of the department/officer, they may have an incentive to find any excuse to confiscate your firearm.

The same issue exists with other property seizures (cars, money, etc), allegedly involved in drug crimes. You may be arrested, released, and not be convicted of any crime, but any property seized does not have rights. Police departments have enjoyed not being a burden to taxpayers for many years, but there is likely much abuse going on.

This promotes corruption, and is a BAD idea. You guys really need to fight this off, or implement a change in confiscation laws to be very restrictive in how, what and when a firearm can be confiscated. Such a law will need to be, by design, written to discourage abuse.

boujiboy2000

imported post

There is always 1 cop someplace that gives speeding tickets for going 5mph over posted limit imagine if someone saw your gun on accident because your shirt was blown in the wind and they called the police. My luck id get the cop that gives out the 5 over speeding tickets who would probably also confiscate my gun and I would have to argue it in the court. Hope the judge is a NRA member.

TKD-2dan

imported post

I agree this is a good Idea, they sell other items that the police get from criminals, like cars, houses, furniture, why not a gun?

The idea is not to take your legal gun away but to take the gun the criminal used to commit a crime and sell it off for state profits. If you are legally allowed to carry and the "wind" blows your shirt up, show the copyour CWP-unless the office saw the "incident" they should not do much to you.

I have yet to find a cop that is against CWP, many of them that I have met have thanked me for taking the time to get my CWP.