• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would be the best county to apply for a non-resident Oregon CHL?

edstephan

imported post

Hello All
I live in Pennsylvania and occasionally visit Portland on business and pleasure.
In PA the best county for a non-resident PA License to Carry Firearms is Center County.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
Ed Stephan

Jeffytune

imported post

edstephan wrote:

Hello All
I live in Pennsylvania and occasionally visit Portland on business and pleasure.
In PA the best county for a non-resident PA License to Carry Firearms is Center County.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
Ed Stephan

Ed, as far as I am aware, the current law non-resident permits are to be issued to residents of states that border Oregon, That would be Washington, Idaho, Nevada and California. I think a case could be made for Hawaii, but I would suggest you check with the Washington county sheriffs office.

adamsesq

imported post

Yes, you do have to be a resident of a bordering state to get an Oregon Non Resident permit.

I live in Washington County and have recently had occasion to ask this specific question to both Washington and Multnomah County Sheriff CCW offices. Washington County was very clear that you needed a compelling business/security interest before they would even consider it. Multnomah County said you needed to have a good reason showing you were likely to be in Oregon. "Basically," the gal at the desk at Multnomah County said, "as long as you have reason to be here and you are not just 'collecting' permits we will issue it."

-adamsesq

Jeffytune

imported post

I stand corrected.

Thank you Mr. Adams.

Ed, listen to Mr. Adams, he is a Lawyer.

adamsesq

imported post

Jeffytune wrote:
I stand corrected.

Thank you Mr. Adams.

Ed, listen to Mr. Adams, he is a Lawyer.

While I may be a lawyer, of this I have no legal advice. I can only pass on what I have been recently told when I specifically asked that question at both offices.

-adamsesq

adamsesq

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
I didnt know you were a Lawyer..... Wat Type are you?

There have been a few clues from time to time but that's okay. The kind that gives good advice to paying clients! :D

-adamsesq

Glockguy

imported post

Well its just good to know that there is actually someone on here that DOES know laws and Actually has Some Education in them:)

Los

imported post

I've actually heard it's easier for out of state residents to get a CHL from Washington county. This was from a gun shop owner and the CHL classNRA instructor. I'm a Washington Co. resident so for me it wasnt a big deal. A co-worker and Vancouver resident applied at Washington Co. and it was rather painless for him. He basically stated that he works in OR and also spends a lot of time camping in OR during the year.

What does the Multnomah CHL permit look like? The Washington Co. permit is a plastic ID with picture, similar to an OR DL. This beats the heck out of a Clark Co. (WA) permit which is nothing more than a piece of paper (no pic).

carracer

imported post

As my parents live in Lincoln County and I grew up there, I went to the Sheriffs office and inquired about a non res permit. I was told the sheriff almost never issues. Would have to make appointments for interviews and finger prints only on specific days. Apparently they were overwhelmed by the one other person in line and couldn't make any effort to accomodate me.