• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La Crosse and Surrounding Counties Open Carry Picnic

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UPDATE: News video re picnic: http://tinyurl.com/rxvhwl

---

Ladies & Gentlemen, remember you read it here FIRST.

This is the FIRST "OPEN CARRY" event in Western Wisconsin.

There will be an "Open Carry" picnic, in a public park, in La Crosse County.

The date is SET! May 17, 2009. The time is SET: 11:00 AM -- 3:30 PM.
The location IS SET: N5523 Sobkowiak Rd., Onalaska, WI 54650.

Google maps is NOT up to date, please use this mapquest link: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Onalaska&state=WI&address=N5523+Sobkowiak+Rd&zipcode=54650

I have included an attachment that explains the event in detail, but have also summarized it below. We have 500 fliers printed up, and ready to send to every Rod & Gun club and gun shop that will post it. We also have 5,000 tri-fold brochures that will be handed out at the picnic. We would like to get the pamphlets out to as many Rod & Gun clubs and gun shops, and gun showsin Wisconsin as possible.

================================================================

In celebration of the recent memo from Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen regarding the legality of open carry, there will be an "Open Carry" picnic, at the Marvin Gardens park, Town of Onalaska, La Crosse County.

The cost is FREE! However, donations will be accepted and any proceeds from the gathering will be donated to Wisconsin Badger Camp.

Iowa and Minnesota residents WELCOME!

Brats, hot dogs, and hamburgers will be served. Soda and Kool-Aid to go along with.

[align=left]What to bring:[/align]

[align=left]Yourself, your family, your manners. Side arms are welcome, but not required to attend.If you would like to bring a dish to pass, that would be GREAT![/align]
GUIDE LINES:

• All firearms
must be unloaded and encased during vehicle transport as required by Wisconsin State Law.
• Firearms should be transported in a non-passenger area of the vehicle if possible.
• Firearms cases must be completely removed from the vehicle before being opened.
• All firearms MUST REMAIN HOLSTERED at all times, except for what is required for vehicle transport.
• All Wisconsin concealed carry restrictions and prohibitions apply.
• Only those 18 years of age and older may possess a firearm.
• ALL firearms safety rules MUST be followed.
• If somebody says, "can I see your firearm," simply turn and show them your holstered firearm.
• Please leave long guns at home.
• No alcohol or drugs permitted.

We have a large 30X45 tent, so bring your friends, as the flier states you need not carry, although it is encouraged, to attend. This is taking place in a park, there is playground equipment, so bring the little ones, This is a whole family event, and I look forward to seeing you there.

See you there...

The park address is:
N5523 Sobkowiak Rd.
Onalaska, WI 54650

Feel free to contact me ocpicnic@gmail.com with questions, or to RSVP a dish to pass.

Again, any and all donations given at this picnic goto Wisconsin Badger Camp to help mentally and physically challenged children.

respectfully submitted...

LittleOtter

imported post

This is the post the made me decide to finally join the discussion forum. Looking forward to meeting a few others expressing their rights in my area.

Little Otter

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
The cost is FREE! However, donations to cover my expenses would be appreciated. Any actual proceeds from the gathering will be donated to Wisconsin Badger Camp.
open carry camp scholarships - i love it.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have updated the original post with the information. Mike, can we get a link on the Iowa and Minnesota forums?

LittleOtter

imported post

Do you happen to have a .pdf or file of the flier itself? I would like to print out a few for a couple guys at work.

Thanks a bunch.

Also, I think we really need to thank bnhcomputing for setting this up and stuff. Your efforts in taking charge are much appreciated.

Thank you again

Little Otter

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It is embedded in the original message (OpenCarryPicnic.pdf)

Let me know it it doesn't download, although it worked for me...

LittleOtter

imported post

Just checked out the park, looks perfect for a picnic. I see there are slides and swings so bring the family! It is kind of too bad that we can't use the building, does look nice. One question. There is a small bridge like structure in the middle of the park to go over the small stream. Does that constitute a gov't building? Will that have the same jurisdiction as a gazebo? Thanks a bunch,

Little Otter

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LittleOtter wrote:
Just checked out the park, looks perfect for a picnic. I see there are slides and swings so bring the family! It is kind of too bad that we can't use the building, does look nice. One question. There is a small bridge like structure in the middle of the park to go over the small stream. Does that constitute a gov't building? Will that have the same jurisdiction as a gazebo? Thanks a bunch,

Little Otter
No, the bridge is just that, a bridge. It was permitted by the DNR and everything as a bridge, and there is no statute I can find restricting firearms possession on a bridge.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As published in the Wednesday May 13, 2009 La Crosse Tribune.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2009/05/13/news/01guns.txt

Published - Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Burgers, hot dogs and even guns at Sunday’s open carry picnic
By ANNE JUNGEN | ajungen@lacrossetribune.com

.TOWN OF ONALASKA — Alcohol is prohibited during Sunday’s picnic at Marvin Gardens Park. Firearms are not.

A family-friendly picnic for those who favor open carry of firearms will be held from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, the first event of its kind in Wisconsin on public property, said organizer and gun rights enthusiast Hubert Hoffman.
The outdoor event celebrates Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen’s recent opinion to the state’s district attorneys that citizens should not be cited for disorderly conduct if openly carrying a firearm.

Everyone, including children and those who choose not to carry firearms, is welcome at the armed picnic, Hoffman said.

“This is a way for people who choose to open carry to see they are not alone,” he said. “It’s also a way of letting the public know that we are safe individuals, and we are not a danger or risk to the general public at large.”

Hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, potato chips and soda will be provided at no cost.

While he can’t predict attendance, Hoffman said he’ll be happy if the event draws 30 people. He’s heard people plan to come from as far away as Milwaukee.

Hoffman has shelled out thousands of dollars to host the event. All proceeds raised from a donation bucket will be given to the Wisconsin Badger Camp.

He has not received “one iota” of negative feedback about the picnic, which will include discussions about gun laws in school zones and private vehicles.

The La Crosse County Sheriff’s Department is not planning increased patrols during the picnic, but any complaint will be investigated, said sheriff’s Capt. Mike Horstman.

They’re doing what they’re legally entitled to do,” Horstman said.

LittleOtter

imported post

Great Job gettin that in there! We may want to keep an eye on the comments and try to curb some of the concerns or ill flavored remarks this article may receive. It may be a good idea for anyone who is coming to respond to the article and mention that you will be there. It could help with letting the public know that this isn't a left field idea. Any thoughts on the Bnh or anyone else?

Little Otter

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Absolutely!

We just need to be aware, that ALL opinions are valid, even if we disagree. By that I mean, let the antis insult us if the choose, but we must refuse to stoop to their level. Remember, this ISN'T about guns, it's about RIGHTS, ALL CITIZENS RIGHTS.

I also just got an email from a MN firearms carry instructor, he will be attending with some of his friends as well. We are getting there!!!