• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La Crosse and Surrounding Counties Open Carry Picnic

LittleOtter

imported post

I completly agree on the opinion issue. I think it would be a good opporitunity to answer a few questions if any arise. I must say, the Horstman quote at the end is the best!

Little Otter

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Your LaCrosse area picnic is being covered by the news guys on 620AM WTMJ here in Milwaukee. Good luck and I hope the weather holds up fine for your guys!

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After hearing about the reaction of the LaCrosse Co Sheriff regarding the picnic this weekend, I did a little investigating. LaCrosse County Ordinance 19.03 prohibits firearms in county parks but the Sheriff has said that people have the legal right to carry at the picnic.

Hmm, me thinks that someone needs to push the issue in Milwaukee Co. I just may have to set up a bean bagcompetition in the New Berlin Park next to the Cop Shop(which has a similar ordinance with lessor fine).

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
After hearing about the reaction of the LaCrosse Co Sheriff regarding the picnic this weekend, I did a little investigating. LaCrosse County Ordinance 19.03 prohibits firearms in county parks but the Sheriff has said that people have the legal right to carry at the picnic.

Hmm, me thinks that someone needs to push the issue in Milwaukee Co. I just may have to set up a bean bagcompetition in the New Berlin Park next to the Cop Shop (which has a similar ordinance with lessor fine).

WAIT!

This is NOT a county park. This is taking place in a TOWN park where the county ordinance does NOT apply. The town has no such ordinace banning firearms.

Again, this is happening in a TOWN park, not a county park.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mea Culpa! But even if it was in a county park, you'd be alright based on what the sheriff has said. Unless, that is, he was dodging the issue since he really doesn't have jurisdiction over the town park...

hauling4you

imported post

Well I'm moving into my new house in LaCrosse, WI on Sat so I will be there! 100% and th GF will be there to! I'm comming from Virginia so I know what open and CC is all about and support getting Wi to support rights!

Dave

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hauling4you wrote:
Well I'm moving into my new house in LaCrosse, WI on Sat so I will be there! 100% and th GF will be there to! I'm comming from Virginia so I know what open and CC is all about and support getting Wi to support rights!

Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave. Always nice to have another OC supporter.

I'll look to see you there.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
Mea Culpa! But even if it was in a county park, you'd be alright based on what the sheriff has said. Unless, that is, he was dodging the issue since he really doesn't have jurisdiction over the town park...
Actually, the Sheriff DOES have jurisdiction as the town has no local law enforcement.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Is anyone from Milwaukee (or nearby) going to this picnic? I want to carpool, I do not want to wake up around 6:30 AM on a Sunday to drive by myself4 and a half hours one way to go toOnalaska for a few hoursthen drive back the same way to make it back in time to go to sleep. I cannot get anyone I know to wake up early on a Sunday to drive for 9 hours for any reason. I don't want to fill up my tank 3 times in one day, which is what will happen if I go to Onalaska in my car. If anyone is going from Milwaukee let me know If I can tag along, I'll pay my share of the gas.

Teej

imported post

Well, I'm probably not going to be making that trip, as I've had to run out that way too many times in the past year as it is.

Although i can say, from my place, that's a nice legal trip of just over 3 hours (< 200mi, 65mph....3:05?. Maybe 3:15 since you're a bit further into town than me. Shouldn't be 4.5 unless you need lots of food/restroom stops.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just got back from the picnic. Didn't stay long as I went by myself and didn't know anybody, and I'm bad at meeting new people and talking to them. But wanted to stop by and show my support. I was carrying with the new holster I bought last week.

I got there a little after 1 pm and the burgers and hot dogs were gone! Was quite a few people. WXOW 19 News was there, and did a couple interviews. I heard the news lady say it will be on TV tonight on the 10 pm news, and I think she said it will also be posted online at http://www.wxow.com.

Thanks Hubert and good job putting this together. Was very glad to see how big it was when I got there.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BIG SUCCESS!!

I am :celebrate

Thank you to everyone who made this possible, and to all those who showed.

As soon as we have the numbers tabulated, I will post them to the media and then here.

smooth

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Well, I must say that I was impressed as hell at the turnout!! Great job to our host, I rode the bike over from Madison, had a Brat, and got interviewed! Well worth the ride to meet some like minded people.

ScottM

imported post

Well Done Hubert. My wife and I made the trip down from Ellsworth and chatted with several folk. Really good turn out for such quick notice. Who had the Mustang with Virginia plates? That was a heck of a drive just for a picnic.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Results from the picnic:

We had213 participants sign in. Many individuals came with children, the children did not sign in.

We had 99 individuals lawfully carrying a holstered firearm.

We went through 100 burgers, 100 brats, and 50 hot dogs.

We raised $830.85 for Wisconsin Badger Camp.

This was a successful event from every point of view and I am pleased with the turn out.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.