• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock Plug Question

T Vance

imported post

I bought one of these for my Glock 23.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INSERT-PLUG-G22-23-24-31-32-35-4-GLOCK-by-Sunset_W0QQitemZ120413160581QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120413160581&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

You can store batteries, or even an extra round in it. Let's say you are transporting and do not have a CPL.

1) Could you leave a round in it while it is in the trunk of a Jeep that does not have a seperate compartment style trunk like that of a car?

2) If you have a trunk like that of a Jeep, and transporting it states you must seperate the ammo and the gun. Does this include ammo that is not in a magazine, such as a box of ammo?

3) If you do not have a CPL, and you are transporting a firearm, must you be doing 1 of the 7 things (i.e. going from a home to a business, going to a range, etc), or is the purpose self defense enough of a reason to be transporting if you are going from your house to a store then back to the house you came from?

T Vance

imported post

T Vance wrote:
1) Could you leave a round in it while it is in the trunk of a Jeep that does not have a seperate compartment style trunk like that of a car?
I meant to ask could you leave a round in the plug while it was in the trunk of a car with a seperate compartment like a typical car?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
T Vance wrote:
I meant to ask could you leave a round in the plug while it was in the trunk of a car with a seperate compartment like a typical car?

I don't think it would be worth the risk to get "burnt" on a mere technicality. The transport law does not even allow a loaded mag in the mag-well, therefore, it's not worth the risk. Not only that, but I think it would get irritating having something such as a round or a battery causing a rattle while you're walking.

You could however,place an excerpt to your will in the cubby-hole stating; In case of an untimely event, I, T Vance, being of sound mind and body, leave all my Glocks to SpringerXDacp. :)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
What about the 3rd question?

Just so you know, the round is in the plug tight and does not rattle.

Per Section 231a:

(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:

This has been discussed many times here and most of us believe the key word here is "includes." Personally, I think 231a is inconclusive. Meaning the 7 conditions listed are only several examples of lawful transport. Some LEO's think the same as the rest of us while other LEO's think the conditions are conclusive.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
One of the questions the officer asked me the other day was "were you at, or planningon going to a range today?".

Well, there ya go. The officer, obviously, is one who falls under the conclusive category.

I've been telling people for the last couple of years, IMO of course, that the transport laws are based on intent; i.e. your transporting without malice. IOW, if you're transporting a pistol in a manner defined in Section 231a and you do not intend to commit a crime doing so, then you should be in compliance with the statue. Again, this is just my opinion.

T Vance

imported post

Every timeI leave with it, prior to owning a CPL, then I will just "plan" on stopping at a area that allows target practice. If I don't make it there because of time constraints then I guess I didn't go, but atleast I "planned" on going.

DanM

imported post

T Vance wrote:
One of the questions the officer asked me the other day was "were you at, or planningon going to a range today?".

The general rule for anyLEO stop (traffic or on foot)where the LEOasks where you are coming from or where you are going is the response, "I do not wish to discuss my itinerary with you, officer."

I think this response is particularly appropriate in the case where a LEOmay be fishing forprobable cause to bust youfor what he thinks is a violation of the transport law.

If you respond as above, you avoid giving the LEO anything with which to generate probable cause in his mind against you.

DanM

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I realize that now, but was just curious.

I'm sure. My reply abovewas mostly for others who might be faced with the scenario of OC'ing without a CPL and being asked by a LEOwhere they are coming from and going to.

You don'thave to "plan" on stopping at a range, or any of the other destinations written in the law, to be prepared to answer a LEO's question about your itinerary. Justpolitely refuse to discuss your itinerary. The LEO gets nothing to generate PC that you are violating his interpretation of the transport law, and you should befree to go.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Every timeI leave with it, prior to owning a CPL, then I will just "plan" on stopping at a area that allows target practice. If I don't make it there because of time constraints then I guess I didn't go, but atleast I "planned" on going.

A Judge in Traverse City dropped a charge for this. He said he can't prosecute for a law that was changed some years ago. Besides #7 covers most everything.

The MSP follow the logic that ALL LAWFUL purposes are allowed. Doesn't mean some LEO's think otherwise. As Dan said don't answer the question. Or say "I'm about for my personal business".

Again this is a question (lawful transport) that my senator has sent to the AG for a review. Still waiting as it can take up to 6 months and since he is running for Gov, maybe longer.