• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to say in Police and LEO Encounters

Statesman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
demnogis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Think about it. What can a cop really do? I stopped a guy and he wouldn't talk to me, so I arrested him for not talking to me. Come on.
Try... "I stopped a guy who was armed and he wouldn't talk to me, so I arrested him..."
Or...

I stopped a man with a gun acting strangely and refusing to say a word. I took him into protective custody so that I could have time to determine if he was going to be a threat to the community.
Wha? "Protective Custody"? Is that a euphemism for illegal arrest? Or are you being sarcastic? :)

LEO 229

imported post

Statesman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
demnogis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Think about it. What can a cop really do? I stopped a guy and he wouldn't talk to me, so I arrested him for not talking to me. Come on.
Try... "I stopped a guy who was armed and he wouldn't talk to me, so I arrested him..."
Or...

I stopped a man with a gun acting strangely and refusing to say a word. I took him into protective custody so that I could have time to determine if he was going to be a threat to the community.
Wha? "Protective Custody"? Is that a euphemism for illegal arrest? Or are you being sarcastic? :)
In Virginia, a cop can take a person into "protective custody" or "detain" them for 4 hours so they can be evaluated by a mental health professional. People who may be a danger to themselves or others.

This is NOT an arrest and is done in the best interests of the person and the public.. I have done this many times and they all get admitted into the psych ward. They get a lawyer and a hearing with a judge do determine their mental status.

I cannot speak for every other state... but I am sure many have a similar program.

So... if you are armed with a gun and acting strange... this is a possibility.

This is why you should be "human" and act normal when approached by the police. After you have established that you are not a fruit cake.... you can shut up. ;)

grumpycoconut

imported post

Leo's right on a couple of points. Some of you guys do sound kind of silly relying on some formulaic verbal talisman as if it makes any real difference. It's just like the old pothead myth that undercover cops are magically compelled to reveal themselves if you ask the magic question, "Are you now or have you ever been affiliated with any law enforcement organization?"

What ever happened to the days when adults could have a polite conversation and reveal only what they wanted to. My heart breaks at the thought that otherwise intelligent and presumably educated people have no other recourse than to fall back on the rhetorical repertoire of third graders. "He's touching me. Quit touching me. Make him stop touching me."

Acting like a latrine lawyer is almost as bad. It's annoying and boring and most folks really don't have the depth or breadth of legal knowledge to pull it off well.

How about dead silence? It would be real easy for a good writer to cobble up a plausible 5150W&I (CA law, 72hrs) psych commitment report and deposit you in a nice soft pastel colored room for a few hours. It won't hold water in the long run but if I'm really willing to do it, I won't care. What recourse do you have? Just about none, and you get to deal with the fact that you got locked up for a looney just because you hate cops and the gov so much that you really should just stay on your compound.

If the cop starts talking to you and you don't want to you can always keep walking. It is polite but not mandatory if you smile and greet him as you walk on by. If he asks questions you don't want to answer you can always tell him you aren't going to answer. If you are in CA and he's finished his (e) check you can always try to recover your gear, excuse yourself politely and start walking away. If he won't take no for an answer you can always ask for a supervisor. If you are prepared and have the relevant laws on paper and are conversant with them you can always try to make a convert.

You can also start your own conversation. Cop- Why are you carrying a gun? You- How about them Mets. Cop- What are you, some kind of gun nut vigilante? You- Have you read any good books lately? Cop- Why aren't you answering my questions? You- Because I don't have to and they are boring me.

Be original. Don't be boring. One trick wing nuts are no fun to play with. They don't even make good stories to tell at the donut shop later. If you've got the stones to go strapped you have an obligation to be just as heavily armed mentally.

Statesman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Statesman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
demnogis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Or...

In Virginia, a cop can take a person into "protective custody" or "detain" them for 4 hours so they can be evaluated by a mental health professional. People who may be a danger to themselves or others.

This is NOT an arrest and is done in the best interests of the person and the public.. I have done this many times and they all get admitted into the psych ward. They get a lawyer and a hearing with a judge do determine their mental status.

I cannot speak for every other state... but I am sure many have a similar program.

So... if you are armed with a gun and acting strange... this is a possibility.

This is why you should be "human" and act normal when approached by the police. After you have established that you are not a fruit cake.... you can shut up. ;)
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. I wonder what kind of protections are in place from state to state, aside from a detainment time limit (which is good), to prevent abuse. It sounds like any "less than ethical" cop wishing to annoy or harass someone who OCs, may be able to do so for that time period.

So now I may have to choose between exercising my 2nd and 5th ammendment rights, and a 4 hour detainment, which could get me fired at work for being late, or some other obligatory function in life. What happens if I choose to remain silent while I am being "evaluated" by government psychiatrists? Can anything I say during detainment be used against me as well? What a conflict!

I realize I am getting into the IFs and BUTs here, which is annoying even for me, but this is downright scary. Next thing you know there will be a similar detainment rule to evaluate whether or not I may be a terrorist, and I'd be sent to the local friendly DHS department for interrogation. I guess that would be the case in Missouri, where DHS thinks right wingers are potential terrorists.

Nothing against you LEO 229. I appreciate you speaking to this subject. I learn something here daily.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Oh good Lord. Haven't we hashed this subject to death in this forum??
Yes. But this is where the veterans come into play. They help the new guys.

The veterans have been over this ground so many times, have viewed it from so many angles, and have had to refine their arguments by defending against the naysayers and LEOs on this forum, that they have it well boiled down now.

LEO 229

imported post

The general assembly just passed a 24 hour suspected terrorist detention period!! I am kidding!! :lol:

In regards to the 4 hour detention... it "could" be abused just like any other authority. Traffic stops, running names, arrests, excessive force... ect.

But as it often goes... Most cops do not abuse their authority. You hear about the less than 1% out of 900,000 that do. But the exception is that in this case you have a trained head doc who will decide if you are nuts. Not the cop. So the worst that would happen is you are driven to the head doc's office.

So yes, you could be late for work.

The way to limit your chances of this ever happening.. as rare as they are anyway... is to be social and polite. ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is some information I posted previously on another thread. Its mostly about the 4th Amendment, but the 5th does come into play:

You've asked some very good questions.

I am not a lawyer. However, I'm not completely unstudied on the subject.

Welcome to the 4th Amendment! Your 4th Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures are defined in court opinions by the US Supreme Court, VA Court of Appeals, andVA Supreme Court. Literally, the more you know these court opinions, the more you will know your rights. And, the limits of your rights, as recognized by the government, and the limits of the police officer's authority.

Think of a police encounter as a negotiation.Think of it also as a modifiedversion of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion: For every action (on your part) there is going to be a reaction (on the officer's part.)

There are:

• the rules of the game
  • exceptions to the rules
  • advantages and disadvantages forboth sides
  • the tactics both sides employ
  • gray areas
The more you know, the moreyou willbe able to manuever. More importantly, the more certain you areabout the law, the better.Personal opinions gleaned from an internet forum give the wise fellow very little certainty. The wise fellow willverify by goingstraight to the horse--the 4th Amendment, VA's Constitution, and the court opinions.

Here are some starters for you.These are my opinions. My understandings from personal study. Remember the part about police reactions to your actions when reading these:

1. In VA, you may not physically resist adetention. First and most important point. Do notphysically resist a police officer. You can always sort things outand/or file a formal complaint later, once you are out of their hands.

2. There is no statute in VA requiring you to even carry ID, much less show it upon LEO demand. Quick exception: VA law allows a police officer to arrest a person who he believes will ignore a summons. Some police use an ID refusal as evidence the person won't show up in court ona misdemeanor summons. Another exception: Drivers license when driving. Edited to add: some localities may have a stop-and-identify ordinance that requires you to identify yourself to an LEO if he demands it, although there is federal court law that requires him to have reasonable articulable suspicion in connection with a crime.

3. If an LEO demands your CHP,you must exhibit it, along with proper ID. This is not to say that you can't attempt a diversion by pointing out, "No CHP needed for OC, sir." Nor does it say that you can't leave the CHP at home when OCing.You don't need it for OC. If you don't have it with you, you can't show it.

4. Police are authorized to temporarily seize your weapon for officer safety and safety of others nearby under specific conditions given in court opinions.Whether you are cooperating is not one of theconditions, although it could have a bearing on the matter.

5. Your proper response will depend on how far you want to go and what you are willing to risk. For example, you will want to decide if during a traffic stop for speeding you are willing to risk a ticket instead of a warning by standing firm on your rights. Are you willing to be wrongfully arrested?

6.Assuming you are willing to take some risk and want to stand up for your rights, you could politelysay, "Officer, I know you are just doing your job, but:

A."I donot consent to this encounter."

B. "I have nothing to say in the absence of my attorney."

C."I do not consent to any searches."

D. "I do not consent to seizing my gun."

E. "Am I free to go?"

Memorize these, practice them, run through scenarios in your mind. These employ your most powerful advantage--your rights.They also set the stagefor a complaint later. Or a legaldefense.

Realize there are numerous ways police can respond to the abovestatements. I say "can respond" without respect to legality or whether they have the authority for any given response.Your rights are only ink on paper. Whether the police choose to recognize them or not, willfully or from ignorance, even if you assert them verbally, isanother matter.Becompletelyprepared mentally--don't let it shock youor surprise you—for the police to ignore your assertion of a right.Or question youabout why you areasserting itifyou supposedly are doing nothing wrong.

Again, welcome to the 4th Amendment.A good place to start learningabout your4th Amendment rights, police encounters,and guns is the landmark caseTerry vs Ohio. [url]http://tinyurl.com/2ue6hy[/url]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
SNIP ...Acting like a latrine lawyer is almost as bad. It's annoying and boring and most folks really don't have the depth or breadth of legal knowledge to pull it off well...

...You can also start your own conversation. Cop- Why are you carrying a gun? You- How about them Mets. Cop- What are you, some kind of gun nut vigilante? You- Have you read any good books lately? Cop- Why aren't you answering my questions? You- Because I don't have to and they are boring me...

...Be original. Don't be boring. One trick wing nuts are no fun to play with. They don't even make good stories to tell at the donut shop later. If you've got the stones to go strapped you have an obligation to be just as heavily armed mentally...
Forum,

A policeencounter is not an exercise inpopularity.Your rights are not subordinate towhether the cop finds yousocially interesting.

Any time you are contacted by a police officer, you are in legal jeopardy. The jeopardy may bevast. It may be slight. Itis present.

The police officer is not yourfriend.If he started it as a consensual encounter, it is entirely possible he is looking forsomething thatgives riseto reasonable articulable suspicion so he can detain you while looking further. If you are detained,whether because it starts out that way, or converts from a consensualencounter, it is practically guaranteed he is looking for probable cause to cite or arrest you.

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
SNIP ...Acting like a latrine lawyer is almost as bad. It's annoying and boring and most folks really don't have the depth or breadth of legal knowledge to pull it off well...

...You can also start your own conversation. Cop- Why are you carrying a gun? You- How about them Mets. Cop- What are you, some kind of gun nut vigilante? You- Have you read any good books lately? Cop- Why aren't you answering my questions? You- Because I don't have to and they are boring me...

...Be original. Don't be boring. One trick wing nuts are no fun to play with. They don't even make good stories to tell at the donut shop later. If you've got the stones to go strapped you have an obligation to be just as heavily armed mentally...
Forum,

A policeencounter is not an exercise inpopularity.Your rights are not subordinate towhether the cop finds yousocially interesting.

Any time you are contacted by a police officer, you are in legal jeopardy. The jeopardy may bevast. It may be slight. Itis present.

The police officer is not yourfriend.If he started it as a consensual encounter, it is entirely possible he is looking forsomething thatgives riseto reasonable articulable suspicion so he can detain you while looking further. If you are detained,whether because it starts out that way, or converts from a consensualencounter, it is practically guaranteed he is looking for probable cause to cite or arrest you.
This is so true!!!

If I strike up a conversation with you in the line at Burger King... I am trying to arrest you!! I am not a human who, like most other human beings, likes to be social and talk with other people.

If you are smart... you will turn your back on me and ignore me. That will protect you from any possible arrest. I am not sure what you would be arrested for.. but whatever you did in your past will be protected.

You talking to me in a normal human interaction may be enough for me to trick you into admitting you committed a crime like... you took a pen home from work or made a personal phone call at work, or you cheated on your taxes this year.

So be smart and take this member's advice!! NEVER EVER talk to the police!!! Show them how honest and law abiding citizens with guns are and give the cops a reason to label gun owners as weirdos. :lol:

Oh.. before I forget.. QFT

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:

Forum,

This is so true!!!

If I strike up a conversation with you in the line at Burger King... I am trying to arrest you!! I am not a human who, like most other human beings, likes to be social and talk with other people.

If you are smart... you will turn your back on me and ignore me. That will protect you from any possible arrest. I am not sure what you would be arrested for.. but whatever you did in your past will be protected.

You talking to me in a normal human interaction may be enough for me to trick you into admitting you committed a crime like... you took a pen home from work or made a personal phone call at work, or you cheated on your taxes this year.

So be smart and take this member's advice!! NEVER EVER talk to the police!!! Show them how honest and law abiding citizens with guns are and give the cops a reason to label gun owners as weirdos. :lol:

Oh.. before I forget.. QFT
The points under discussion are GrumpNut's comments that failto give rights their proper weight in a police encounter.

How LEO229 jumped froma consensual encounterpossibly seeking RAS to "trying to arrest you" is unclear.

LEO229 carefully omits to consider, never mind advise how to solve, that the OCer cannot know whether it is an innocuous consensual contactorsomething more.

No, he would rather sarcastically attack me.Me, someone whosupposedly has no effect on the self-declaredthick-skinned LEO229.Yes, folks this is what passes for maturity and dedication to the public inhis police department. Or at least reflects on it, anyway.

Deanimator

imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
Leo's right on a couple of points. Some of you guys do sound kind of silly relying on some formulaic verbal talisman as if it makes any real difference. It's just like the old pothead myth that undercover cops are magically compelled to reveal themselves if you ask the magic question, "Are you now or have you ever been affiliated with any law enforcement organization?"

What ever happened to the days when adults could have a polite conversation and reveal only what they wanted to. My heart breaks at the thought that otherwise intelligent and presumably educated people have no other recourse than to fall back on the rhetorical repertoire of third graders. "He's touching me. Quit touching me. Make him stop touching me."

Acting like a latrine lawyer is almost as bad. It's annoying and boring and most folks really don't have the depth or breadth of legal knowledge to pull it off well.

How about dead silence? It would be real easy for a good writer to cobble up a plausible 5150W&I (CA law, 72hrs) psych commitment report and deposit you in a nice soft pastel colored room for a few hours. It won't hold water in the long run but if I'm really willing to do it, I won't care. What recourse do you have? Just about none, and you get to deal with the fact that you got locked up for a looney just because you hate cops and the gov so much that you really should just stay on your compound.

If the cop starts talking to you and you don't want to you can always keep walking. It is polite but not mandatory if you smile and greet him as you walk on by. If he asks questions you don't want to answer you can always tell him you aren't going to answer. If you are in CA and he's finished his (e) check you can always try to recover your gear, excuse yourself politely and start walking away. If he won't take no for an answer you can always ask for a supervisor. If you are prepared and have the relevant laws on paper and are conversant with them you can always try to make a convert.

You can also start your own conversation. Cop- Why are you carrying a gun? You- How about them Mets. Cop- What are you, some kind of gun nut vigilante? You- Have you read any good books lately? Cop- Why aren't you answering my questions? You- Because I don't have to and they are boring me.

Be original. Don't be boring. One trick wing nuts are no fun to play with. They don't even make good stories to tell at the donut shop later. If you've got the stones to go strapped you have an obligation to be just as heavily armed mentally.
I'm not interested in talking to random cops on the street. I save all of my "banter" for the internet.

If it's an "official stop" and I'm carrying, notify as required by Ohio law and provide CHL.
(If not carrying and asked to ID myself) "I am X, living at Y address." If not driving and not carrying, I carry no ID.
"Am I free to leave?"
"No? I have nothing further to say without my lawyer present."

That's what you get out of me, PERIOD.

Dot all of your "I"s and cross all of your "T"s. I don't expect any breaks if I violate the law. You shouldn't expect any if you violate my rights. You won't get any either.

Deanimator

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The general assembly just passed a 24 hour suspected terrorist detention period!! I am kidding!! :lol:

In regards to the 4 hour detention... it "could" be abused just like any other authority. Traffic stops, running names, arrests, excessive force... ect.

But as it often goes... Most cops do not abuse their authority. You hear about the less than 1% out of 900,000 that do. But the exception is that in this case you have a trained head doc who will decide if you are nuts. Not the cop. So the worst that would happen is you are driven to the head doc's office.

So yes, you could be late for work.

The way to limit your chances of this ever happening.. as rare as they are anyway... is to be social and polite. ;)
I REFUSE to be social with cops in the street. I'm polite when treated politely. I have NO duty to talk to you without a lawyer present, other than to ID myself and present driving or CCW credentials where applicable. Now try to retaliate for that and see what it gets you.

You can like it or you can lump it. Lumping it in the wrong way can get VERY expensive.

Want a friend? Buy a dog.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP So be smart and take this member's advice!! NEVER EVER talk to the police!!! Show them how honest and law abiding citizens with guns are and give the cops a reason to label gun owners as weirdos.
Are you saying genuinely professional police would not favorably recognize anAmerican who exercises his rights? Especially given the number of people who do not know and exercise them?

Are you saying genuinely professional police have so little respect for rights that they would consider someone who exercised thema weirdo?

Deanimator

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP So be smart and take this member's advice!! NEVER EVER talk to the police!!! Show them how honest and law abiding citizens with guns are and give the cops a reason to label gun owners as weirdos.
Are you saying genuinely professional police would not favorably recognize anAmerican who exercises his rights? Especially given the number of people who do not know and exercise them?

Are you saying genuinely professional police have so little respect for rights that they would consider someone who exercised thema weirdo?
A cop who brings me in on "mental health" issues because I refuse to talk to him without a lawyer present needs his own head examined. Certainly when he loses the house, his wife's divorce attorney is going to question his sanity.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIPShow them how honest and law abiding citizens with guns are and give the cops a reason to label gun owners as weirdos.
Forum,

Lets look at the underlying false premises in the above quote.

1) That not being labeled a weirdo is more important than exercising rights.

2) And that if the officer is being nice or friendly, it is somehow invalid to exercise your rights.

I think false premise number one isobvious.

But permit me, please, to expand just a bit on number two. If the officer is free to engage a person consensually, how is it any less valid for the for the person to refuse hisconsent?To say otherwise would be to turn consent on its head. He is free to talk to me, but it isnot free of taintfor me not to not talk to him?

Because a cop is friendly, it is invalid to exercise rights?

Perhaps because lots of other people, from nerves or ignorance, do not exercise their rights, making police unused to it, it makes one a weirdo among sheeple to actually exercise rights?