• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to say in Police and LEO Encounters

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

I could not find this in searching, but I apologize if this has been discussed previously:

When contacted by the police for open carry, what and how much should I say? I know that under most circumstances (interrogations, traffic stops), a person should remain silent. Should I inform the officer that I am within my rights, ask for his supervisor, or smile while being disarmed because of the amazing civil suit that I have on my hands? Will officers let me record any encounters, or will they tell me to put it away? I realize that a lot of officers are not understanding of the laws, so would enlightening their ignorance only fall on the deaf ears of the already "informed?"

Thank you.

KBCraig

imported post

The first thing to remember: be polite, act friendly, look friendly, smile.

Next: "Am I being detained? Am I free to go? If I'm not free to go, for what purpose are you detaining me? Am I suspected of a crime? Am I free to go?"

BhmBill

imported post

Also, get yourself a voice recorder to carry (outside of your pockets, possibly under your shirt).

Constantly ask "am I free to go?". Don't volunteer ANY information (find out if you must identify yourself to police) and DO NOT consent to any searches. Do your best to answer their questions with questions. Remain silent, don't let them stir you up. You DO NOT have to answer any questions or submit to any questioning without counsel present.

Be friendly, be polite, always show you respect them by adressing the officer as "sir" or "ma'am", don't get belligerant or loud. You haven't done anything wrong, so don't act like it.

This 45 min video may keep you out of jail. It's VERY VERY good, well worth the watch.

I strongly urge you to watch every second of this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Good Luck

BhmBill

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
The only change I would make is that I will not address an officer as "sir" or "ma'am". Those are titles of respect that I reserve for commissioned officers of the armed forces (force of habit).

I recommend addressing the LEO as "Officer" followed by the last name if you see it.

After having had LEOs here address me by my first name (he was younger than my son!) and as "boy", I most assuredly do not show the respect that "sir" or "ma'am" implies.
Of course. I'm only speaking from experience, and the only on duty police i've dealt with have been nothin but courteous and respectful with me.

I totally agree.... Give respect, get respect.

At the minimum, call them "officer".

bdodds

imported post

Technically I believe you should address them as the type of LEO they are, i.e. Deputy, Trooper, etc. "Officer" isn't a one-size-fits-all, especially out in the less populated areas, but that's only what I was taught by LEOs, in other areas that may not be as appropriate.

ChinChin

imported post

KBCraig wrote:

Next: "Am I being detained? Am I free to go? If I'm not free to go, for what purpose are you restricting my free movement under color of authority? Am I suspected of a crime? Am I free to go?" If my movement is restricted by you under color of authority, I exercise my right to have legal representation present for additional questions. (Then go silent.)
Fixed it for you.

KBCraig

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

Next: "Am I being detained? Am I free to go? If I'm not free to go, for what purpose are you restricting my free movement under color of authority? Am I suspected of a crime? Am I free to go?" If my movement is restricted by you under color of authority, I exercise my right to have legal representation present for additional questions. (Then go silent.)
Fixed it for you.
No you didn't.

You fixed it to be technically correct for a written document, but almost useless in spoken conversation.

Dustin

imported post

BhmBill wrote:
I totally agree.... Give respect, get respect.

At the minimum, call them "officer".

Or dude. :lol:

You might want to look into this though. LEO's love to ask for your ID as in Driver License during an encounter on FOOT. If this happens to you, what's your answer ?

Mine is, I don't have it with me.

In LA, I'm only required to have proof of ID when I'm in a Vehicle, NOT when I'm walking around the Mall, Grocery store, Pizza Hut! So Ileave it in the Truck.

This can make the LEO upset and frustrated, but Oh Well. I'm not here to make their lives happy. I could careless what they do.

LEO 229

imported post

You guys kill me with your classic and expected phrases.. :lol:

How about... be polite and see what the officer wants to talk about. If you do not like the topic you shut up and walk away.

If you are not free to go, you will be told to stop. Once you are ordered not to go anywhere you are being detained.

If you are now being detained... be quiet!! :p

I can tell you that these cute phrases being presented are going to do nothing but tick the cop off and make you sound like a smart ass. :uhoh:

That cop will report to others "This open carry guy was a real {fill in the blank} as he tried to play back street lawyer." :lol:

IMO.... This is going to give open carry a bad name.

If you have to ask if you are being detained and cannot figure out on your own that you are clearly free to leave... you should probably assume you are detained and exercise your right to remain silent.

But feel free to say what you want.

Statesman

imported post

hansolo wrote:
I could not find this in searching, but I apologize if this has been discussed previously:

When contacted by the police for open carry, what and how much should I say? I know that under most circumstances (interrogations, traffic stops), a person should remain silent. Should I inform the officer that I am within my rights, ask for his supervisor, or smile while being disarmed because of the amazing civil suit that I have on my hands? Will officers let me record any encounters, or will they tell me to put it away? I realize that a lot of officers are not understanding of the laws, so would enlightening their ignorance only fall on the deaf ears of the already "informed?"

Thank you.
Search for "Busted: A Citizens Guide to Surviving Police Encounters" on youtube (from Flexyourrights.org).

Visit www.flexyourrights.org, and become VERY familiar with the site. You can download a Bustcard from their site, which is like a cheatsheet for when you forget your name, and what planet you're one when you are actually questioned.

Statesman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
You guys kill me with your classic and expected phrases.. :lol:

How about... be polite and see what the officer wants to talk about. If you do not like the topic you shut up and walk away.

If you are not free to go, you will be told to stop. Once you are ordered not to go anywhere you are being detained.

If you are now being detained... be quiet!! :p

I can tell you that these cute phrases being presented are going to do nothing but tick the cop off and make you sound like a smart ass. :uhoh:

That cop will report to others "This open carry guy was a real {fill in the blank} as he tried to play back street lawyer." :lol:

IMO.... This is going to give open carry a bad name.

If you have to ask if you are being detained and cannot figure out on your own that you are clearly free to leave... you should probably assume you are detained and exercise your right to remain silent.

But feel free to say what you want.
Good advice. I've been looking for the LEO view on this. What will they do once you say nothing the entire time, after being asked for your ID (while NOT in a car, but walking).

Statesman

imported post

bdodds wrote:
Technically I believe you should address them as the type of LEO they are, i.e. Deputy, Trooper, etc. "Officer" isn't a one-size-fits-all, especially out in the less populated areas, but that's only what I was taught by LEOs, in other areas that may not be as appropriate.

Just don't say "Ocifer" with a stoned look in your eye, reeking of Jim Beam.

LEO 229

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Good advice. I've been looking for the LEO view on this. What will they do once you say nothing the entire time, after being asked for your ID (while NOT in a car, but walking).
I cannot identify what each LEO will do.

Contact was made so the real question is why.

Either the LEO wants to check you out for some reason. (And in all honesty.... this is done with the best intent in promoting public safety)

Or... the LEO believes you are in violation of a law. (Even if wrong... still being done with best intentions)

Very few cops exist that hate the fact that you are armed. Most are for gun ownership. I personally do not know any that fit this category.

So...

The LEO is going to get bored with your silence and if he has nothing on you... he will have to let you go. ;)

codename_47

imported post

Never tell the cop you are recording unless you live in MA.

What should you say:

Am I being detained?

Am I free to go?

Do you suspect me of a crime?

I want a lawyer.

Nothing more after that...

There is nothing to say to exercise your 5th amendment rights, just shut up.

You could ask for a supervisor, not a bad idea necessarily.

Think about it. What can a cop really do? I stopped a guy and he wouldn't talk to me, so I arrested him for not talking to me. Come on.

demnogis

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
Think about it. What can a cop really do? I stopped a guy and he wouldn't talk to me, so I arrested him for not talking to me. Come on.
Try... "I stopped a guy who was armed and he wouldn't talk to me, so I arrested him..."

LEO 229

imported post

demnogis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Try... "I stopped a guy who was armed and he wouldn't talk to me, so I arrested him..."
Or...

I stopped a man with a gun acting strangely and refusing to say a word. I took him into protective custody so that I could have time to determine if he was going to be a threat to the community.

Statesman

imported post

demnogis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
On what charge? OC is legal in many states, and it is a right in mine. :celebrate