• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Technology News

bohdi

imported post

I've been following this company for a long time and have posted about their products in the past. Haven't seen anywhere on the forum for this type of stuff but figured it falls under the general category.

This is a press release about one of their soon to be released products, a shot gun attachment for a M4/M16. I imagine they might be coming out with a standard commercial version of this as a standalone and not an attachment, it wouldn't take that much conversion to do it. Interesting to watch regardless.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Metal-Storm-Completes-First-iw-15080173.html

bohdi

imported post

http://video-us.metalstorm.us/release/NDIA.html

"We fired 3GL using training practice rounds at a vehicle target 275 metres down range," said Dr. Finniear. "275 metres is a substantial target distance for a grenade launcher, but the trajectory I saw was excellent. Also, I immediately understood the practical benefit of three rounds, as I was able to deliver another two rounds without losing my aim. With a conventional grenade launcher the target would not have been neutralised."

These guys are getting closer to production with thier stackable round electronically initiated products. I can't wait....

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Just for full disclosure purposes... what do you own it at?

I don't like getting technical on pink sheets, but if anyone is looking into buying it I'd wait for a pull back to around $0.50. Also for the novices, given the insanely low volume, understand that this thing could go to zero or $10 on a whim.

Michigander

imported post

Doesn't look like anything too incredibly revolutionary, so I have my doubts that it will win any huge contracts. :?

bohdi

imported post

I'm not touting this technology because I own stock. I do own stock, bought it for alot more than what it's going for now - and I am not trying to drive the price up either. It's an honest question which deserves an honest answer.

In the evolution of the firearm, how many disruptive technologies have been incorporated over the last 300 years that have had far reaching impacts? When was the last big one implemented? Isn't it time for something new? What type of thinking outside of conventional design would be required to be a game changer?

Not being a gunsmith myself, I see this technology as being all of that, personally. Could I be wrong? Sure, but I haven't seen anything else like this recently that is anywhere close to being a commercial product, let alone a military one. That's part of the reason why I started this thread. Who's building a better widget?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

bohdi wrote:
I'm not touting this technology because I own stock. I do own stock, bought it for alot more than what it's going for now - and I am not trying to drive the price up either. It's an honest question which deserves an honest answer.

I never said or even implied that. It's nice of you to givea heads up; I was just curious what you bought in at, and also warning other people about low volume dangersso they don't go and dump money in and you're stuck listening to,"zomg you bastard! I lost half my moniezzz!!!11!!" :lol:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I saw some of this stuff on "Future Weapons" on the Discovery Channel. It's pretty cool. They had one that had a whole bunch of barrels stacked on top of each other in a rectangular pattern. Each of those barrels had several"rounds" in it. It unleased hell and looked like it would cut down anything in it's path.

I do wonder though, especially at longer ranges, if the sights or point of aimwould need to be adjusted between the 3 rounds. The difference in barrel length between the individual shots (since they're stacked on top of one another)should change the velocity enough to throw it off target.

bohdi

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
bohdi wrote:

I never said or even implied that. It's nice of you to givea heads up; I was just curious what you bought in at, and also warning other people about low volume dangersso they don't go and dump money in and you're stuck listening to,"zomg you bastard! I lost half my moniezzz!!!11!!" :lol:

I don't have the number off the top of my head, it may have been as high as $2 over three years or so ago. I am a bit of a gambler when it comes to these types of things. With high risk comes high reward, and high failure, lol. One of my previous investments here locally in VA was in Itronix, which was a corrupt company that went out of business much like Adelphia cable did. Metal Storm has alot of potential and so far through the R&D testing seems to be holding up. I knew it was going to be a long rocky ride. Hopefully it will cover all my other bad losses, lol.

bohdi

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
I saw some of this stuff on "Future Weapons" on the Discovery Channel. It's pretty cool. They had one that had a whole bunch of barrels stacked on top of each other in a rectangular pattern. Each of those barrels had several"rounds" in it. It unleased hell and looked like it would cut down anything in it's path.

I do wonder though, especially at longer ranges, if the sights or point of aimwould need to be adjusted between the 3 rounds. The difference in barrel length between the individual shots (since they're stacked on top of one another)should change the velocity enough to throw it off target.

I saw the "corner shot" on Discovery's future weapons as well. Then I actually got my hands on one at a trade show in the middle east last fall - very cool. I was hoping to see Metal Storm out there as well but have not yet. I think this was originally designed to be a rail gun and replacement for the Close In Weapons System for the Navy....

Sometime in the last year I saw a show - it may have been the same Discovery Channel one your referring to, that talked about artillery and the progresses made with it. Being able to launch multiple rounds at different tragectories to have all rounds land on the same target at the same time - even though they are all fired over the span of 30 seconds or something like that. Awesome stuff...

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Just for full disclosure purposes... what do you own it at?

I don't like getting technical on pink sheets, but if anyone is looking into buying it I'd wait for a pull back to around $0.50. Also for the novices, given the insanely low volume, understand that this thing could go to zero or $10 on a whim.

Quoted for being right. Actual retrace to .46.

Looks like ano-brainer buy if it hits and holds .40.

bohdi

imported post

My posts are to announce improvements/advances in the technology and how close it might actually be to getting into your hands. They have a pistol version.......