• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a daycare facility considered a school zone?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

jayarmbar wrote:
I have not had much success finding out. Is there a law on the books? Thanks for your help.

A day care facility is not considered a school zone, as far as carrying a firearm in this statute-

18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.

The exemptions set out in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

ed wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
A day care facility is not considered a school zone, as far as carrying a firearm in this statute-
Some daycare's are ALSO "private" Kindergarten. If that was the case.. this in would be.
Agreed. You do need to be careful with some of these hybrid/specialty schools. They do sometimes slip in a K class somewhere. I took the OP's question to mean a facility that is solely a day care.

bdodds

imported post

Technically not a school zone, but i guarantee they have policy against weapons of any kind, my kids' school does.. Check that first before you try it.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

bdodds wrote:
Technically not a school zone, but i guarantee they have policy against weapons of any kind, my kids' school does.. Check that first before you try it.
The diference is between "policy" and LAW. and if it was not posted.. I would not go "check it or ask".. Don't ask dont tell.

bdodds

imported post

ed wrote:
bdodds wrote:
The diference is between "policy" and LAW. and if it was not posted.. I would not go "check it or ask".. Don't ask dont tell.

chances are good if your kids are enrolled, you've read the policy, or at least agreed to adhere to it, in writing.. by "check that first" i meant to read over the literature he's received and see if there's something he's already been "made aware of".. that is the case in my situation, i've acknowledged in writing that i've read the policy, and the policy states no firearms.. it's up to him, assuming he might be in a similar situation, if he wants to proceed carrying at that point.. i'm just throwing in some more data, that's all..

Wooley

imported post

My little girls daycare does not have a K program. I asked what their feelings were as far as me carrying when picking her up or dropping her off.

They talked to management and called me saying they'd prefer I leave it in the car. She'll be going to a new daycare next week.

ed

imported post

Wooley wrote:
My little girls daycare does not have a K program. I asked what their feelings were as far as me carrying when picking her up or dropping her off.

They talked to management and called me saying they'd prefer I leave it in the car. She'll be going to a new daycare next week.
There is the problem. If you just did it and went about your business, they probably would never have talked to management. Just go about your business.... If they ask what you do for a living.. Simply smile.. and say "I work really hard to pay for day care", kiss yer kid goodbye and walk out.

Wooley

imported post

I agree with you for the most part, but I still try to respect the property owners wishes.

At some point, I could see someone noticing it and all hell breaking loose. I'm not thinking that PW County would show up and just treat it as a simple "don't come back with it or its tresspassing" deal.

ed

imported post

Wooley wrote:
I agree with you for the most part, but I still try to respect the property owners wishes.
I respect the wishes of property owners too.. I just don't go look for them to get up in MY business.. if they do.. then I address it. That is why VCDL has a don't ask don't tell policy. It's your daycare.. but maybe my kid went there too.. then you go ask. "Can I bring my gun in here? No? well you don't have a sign??!?!" then they put up a sign and now I can't come in even if I was CC. That was my point. I think if you asked 100 random places you would get about a 50/50 response. If you just went to those same 100 places and acted normally but did not ask them anything.. it would be 95/5 or 90/10. I am simply sayin that I try and go with thr numbers.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
Wooley wrote:

There is the problem. If you just did it and went about your business, they probably would never have talked to management. Just go about your business.... If they ask what you do for a living.. Simply smile.. and say "I work really hard to pay for day care", kiss yer kid goodbye and walk out.
I understand that point of view, and used to share it. I now prefer to know where businesses I patronize stand on the issue. While I won't call or ask, I am usually OCing, so if they have a problem with it, they will speak up.

If they do have an issue, they get added to the Friend or Foe site with a negative rating, and I move on to somewhere else that doesn't mind. In this economy, we have a bit more leverage than we might usually have, and I intend to use it to the fullest extent.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
Wooley wrote:
I respect the wishes of property owners too.. I just don't go look for them to get up in MY business.. if they do.. then I address it. That is why VCDL has a don't ask don't tell policy. It's your daycare.. but maybe my kid went there too.. then you go ask. "Can I bring my gun in here? No? well you don't have a sign??!?!" then they put up a sign and now I can't come in even if I was CC. That was my point. I think if you asked 100 random places you would get about a 50/50 response. If you just went to those same 100 places and acted normally but did not ask them anything.. it would be 95/5 or 90/10. I am simply sayin that I try and go with thr numbers.
While I don't want to put any CC'er out (which is why I don't call or ask), I'd much prefer to know where those 50 businesses are. I want to support the people that support my rights. If I don't know who they are, I can't do that. It's a catch 22 situation.

Tomahawk

imported post

Whenever you ask the managment, you force them to make a decision about something they probably hadn't thought of, and you put them on the spot. The person you are asking is under pressure to play it safe and tell you "no". He's more afraid of what his boss or his insurance company or his many non-OC customers will think than he is of what you might think.

If you just OC and act like a gentleman, they may see it and not bother to ask you about it. If none of the other customers say anything, why should they?

That is my take on it, anyway. Doesn't always hold true, of course, but as long as you're polite and you don't have some pre-knowledge of the owner's dislike for visible firearms it's not disrespectful to do this.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Whenever you ask the managment, you force them to make a decision about something they probably hadn't thought of, and you put them on the spot. The person you are asking is under pressure to play it safe and tell you "no". He's more afraid of what his boss or his insurance company or his many non-OC customers will think than he is of what you might think.

If you just OC and act like a gentleman, they may see it and not bother to ask you about it. If none of the other customers say anything, why should they?

That is my take on it, anyway. Doesn't always hold true, of course, but as long as you're polite and you don't have some pre-knowledge of the owner's dislike for visible firearms it's not disrespectful to do this.
I agree with Tomahawk. I've been in a lot of places lately while OC'ing and rarely get a second glance. I look like I know what I'm doing and where I'm going (when I'm actually retired and haven't a clue). I do wear an ugly Binachi black ballistic nylon with a thumb-break because I'm used to a wearing a similar model when I was still working. It does look kinda "cop-like", I guess.

ed

imported post

No law (that I know of) tells me that I have to explain what I do for a living when asked. It is different than impersonating a LEO. I hardly ever get asked... but if I do, I could just reply with "Man.. those April Showers REALLY DO bring May flowers dont they?!" and walk awy or say something like "I am sorry, I am not at liberty to say who I work for but I sure hope you wave a wonderful day!". Add yer own winks and grins as appropriate.

Tomahawk

imported post

ed wrote:
No law (that I know of) tells me that I have to explain what I do for a living when asked. It is different than impersonating a LEO. I hardly ever get asked... but if I do, I could just reply with "Man.. those April Showers REALLY DO bring May flowers dont they?!" and walk awy or say something like "I am sorry, I am not at liberty to say who I work for but I sure hope you wave a wonderful day!". Add yer own winks and grins as appropriate.
Tell them you work in a comic book shop and you spend all day reading Punisher comics.