• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a daycare facility considered a school zone?

riverrat10k

imported post

I worry (slighlty) about this issue. I park not ten feet from a fenced in daycare play area. I often grab the gun off the seat before carrying into the office or pull it before entering the vehicle depending upon how I am carrying.

I generally try to be discrete but I will in no way let my rights be infringed upon. The thousand foot rule is idiocy. What if my office was next to a public school? Would I not be allowed to carry in my own privately owned parking lot? Rubbish.

I admit that when the kids are out, I tend to stay away from the fence when going to lunch, etc. Parents protecting cubs can be a bit loopy. Will OC at my bank later today and then see what happens at Applebee's for lunch. Probably indifferently conceal since my shirt is out and fairly long today.

Elkad

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
What about home schooling?
LOL You mean if you homeschool you can't carry a firearm in your own living room?
Sure.... :lol:
The provisions of this section shall not apply to (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises;

So just add marksmanship, safe firearm handling, RKBA laws, etc to your school curriculum

LEO 229

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
What about home schooling?
LOL You mean if you homeschool you can't carry a firearm in your own living room?
Nah, as the principal of my home school, I'll let you remain armed Tomahawk. Now LEO 229 on the other hand....:lol:
Oh Man!!! That sucks!!

Wooley

imported post

ed wrote:
Wooley wrote:
I agree with you for the most part, but I still try to respect the property owners wishes.
I respect the wishes of property owners too.. I just don't go look for them to get up in MY business.. if they do.. then I address it. That is why VCDL has a don't ask don't tell policy. It's your daycare.. but maybe my kid went there too.. then you go ask. "Can I bring my gun in here? No? well you don't have a sign??!?!" then they put up a sign and now I can't come in even if I was CC. That was my point. I think if you asked 100 random places you would get about a 50/50 response. If you just went to those same 100 places and acted normally but did not ask them anything.. it would be 95/5 or 90/10. I am simply sayin that I try and go with thr numbers.
Good point Ed. I hadn't thought of it this way...

Wooley

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Whenever you ask the managment, you force them to make a decision about something they probably hadn't thought of, and you put them on the spot. The person you are asking is under pressure to play it safe and tell you "no". He's more afraid of what his boss or his insurance company or his many non-OC customers will think than he is of what you might think.

If you just OC and act like a gentleman, they may see it and not bother to ask you about it. If none of the other customers say anything, why should they?

That is my take on it, anyway. Doesn't always hold true, of course, but as long as you're polite and you don't have some pre-knowledge of the owner's dislike for visible firearms it's not disrespectful to do this.

Another good point. I'm glad we got into this...

Hawk, I'd say every other time I'm of the opinion that I'll just carry until asked about it. This situation being a school/daycare I didn't want to take any chances and be the test case!

Also, while I think you're right about on the spot decisions, in this case they took their time and ran the question all the way to the top where it was considered and eventually turned down. I have to at least give them props for thinking about it.