• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee County Zoo

Spongebob

imported post

I have been looking for an hour and can't find anything prohibiting firearms at the zoo. I think the buildings may be "government owned" but maybe not, It could be that the county taxpayers own it. All I can find is that it is an "entity of the Milwaukee county parks commission" I am not sure, and will call one of the managers. (I used to work there, and am on a first-name basis with many of the senior staff)

What do you think?
Would anyone be interested if this pans out?

Spongebob

imported post

That's what I was thinking, besides, there are several concession stands that you don't need to go inside, you just walk up to the window and order, so it's not like we can't buy a soda or something.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i was thinking the same thing.. oc at the zoo!
they were talking about it looking more domestic when you push a shopping cart..
hell ill be pushing a baby stroller!

i know a few entrances are not covered. and most everything else is in the open.
only thing that stinks is the bat house and the aquarium are inside :(

Spongebob

imported post

Not to mention the apes, big cats, (except for the cheetah you can see from outside), aviary and special exhibits are inside. We would need to clear up the alcohol thing. It's not a big stretch to argue that the zoo itself doesn't sell alcohol, the concession stands do. I worked there, and every concession restaurant is ran as it's own business.

This is weird anyways if you think about it... A government owned building that sells alcohol. ha.

Well I dunno, I think we would need a lawyer.

I wonder if you could carry at state-fair. They sell alcohol. It would be uber-lame if the state constitution doesn't count at the state fair.

smithman

imported post

skamp wrote:
i was thinking the same thing.. oc at the zoo!
they were talking about it looking more domestic when you push a shopping cart..
hell ill be pushing a baby stroller!

i know a few entrances are not covered. and most everything else is in the open.
only thing that stinks is the bat house and the aquarium are inside :(
I believe that some folks in Ohio OCed one day at the Columbus Zoo. It made the evening news I recall seeing a clip on it.

Need to check the Class B liquor license, any schools within 1000', and clearly you may not go into any buildings.

GJD

imported post

Woule the 1000' school rule count in this situation. It is property not necessarily too public because you have to pay to get in?

smithman

imported post

GJD wrote:
Woule the 1000' school rule count in this situation. It is property not necessarily too public because you have to pay to get in?
Depends on who owns it. If it is privately owned but leased by the state, then the school zone does not apply but we cannot carry into buildings. If it's owned by the state outright, then the school zone would apply (not private property) and not carrying into buildings would also apply.

Teej

imported post

They do have an on-premise liquor license. Areas are not restricted like the food court at a mall - thus, I think the whole idea is likely a non-starter. Beer is sold from carts throughout the grounds, as well as in most of the food-oriented buildings.

Getting beyond that, the land is owned by the County under the Parks commission. Thus, the county ordinance re: firearms in parks applies (subject of course to whether or not it is valid under 66.0409...)

smithman

imported post

Teej wrote:
They do have an on-premise liquor license. Areas are not restricted like the food court at a mall - thus, I think the whole idea is likely a non-starter. Beer is sold from carts throughout the grounds, as well as in most of the food-oriented buildings.

Getting beyond that, the land is owned by the County under the Parks commission. Thus, the county ordinance re: firearms in parks applies (subject of course to whether or not it is valid under 66.0409...)
This is not a problem. The law only outlaws handguns from such premises. Simply bring a shotgun in with you using a shoulder sling :celebrate