• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Fly, No Buy" Fixing to resurrect

spy1

imported post

http://www.newsday.com/ny-nyterror0430,0,4668555.story

"FBI data: Suspects on terrorist list buying guns

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
1:29 PM EDT, April 29, 2009

FBI data shows that suspects on the watch list for terrorists and violent gang members make hundreds of gun purchases every year that are totally legal.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg's anti-gun group on Wednesday highlighted the little-noticed figure that was included in an FBI report released last weekend.

The FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System Operations report said there were 230 legal purchases in 2006 by people on the watch list. There were 220 such purchases in 2005.

Under existing federal gun law, those buys are legal. Being on the watch list is not among the nine factors that disqualify someone from purchasing a gun -- like a felony conviction.

Bloomberg's group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, is lobbying to close that loophole."

Here's the blurb from Bloomberg's group:
http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/media-center/pr002-09.shtml

Basically, what will happen here is that they'll press for the entire No-Fly list to be added to the NICS database.

This will prevent anyone whose name is on that list (even if it's just a "generic" name; on there by "mistake"; on there due to something toally UN-related to "terrorism") from being able to pass the NICS check without a long delay.

Or, it will prevent them from purchasing a gun, period.

Stand by for further details - and be mentally-prepared to act on this one when we get a confirmed "target' to hit.

The original No Fly, No Buy bill was introduced by Se. Carolyn McCarthy in 2005: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/record.xpd?id=109-h20050419-48 Pete

http://www.alarmandmuster.com/Home.html

smoking357

Banned
imported post

spy1 wrote:
I've met David. He's usually a good read.

This is a good article that closes with a bit of inaccuracy and improper hiding behind the troops:

"To create such a lawless rule
would disgrace the memory of
the many patriots who fought and
died to preserve our civil liberties,
including the Second Amendment
right to arms and the Fift h
Amendment right to due process."

Really, the only war fought to "preserve our civil liberties" was fought prior to the Constitution and any Amendments. After that, most soldiers had no idea why they were fighting, and our civil liberties have not been implicated in any succeeding wars.

Emotional ploys like that are nothing but "if you attack my position, you attack our soldiers."

thx997303

imported post

Guilty until proven innocent eh?

I swear some politicians would be too stupid to even join the military.

Gordie

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Guilty until proven innocent eh?

I swear some politicians would be too stupid to even join the military.

That sounds likesomething that John Kerrywould say.

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

thx997303

imported post

SFCRetired, I myself am currently a member of the military, and I also believe that the majority of the soldiers I serve with are far above the politicians with regards to their intelligence.

I was merely saying that the politicians would probably not pass the ASVAB with a high enough score to be eligible for military service. And the requisite score is extremely low.

In retrospect, I definitely could have worded that better.

And due to my rank, I should probably add in an emoticon at parade rest, but I can't find one. :)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
My IQ is only one point shy of meeting the requirement for Mensa.  What about yours?
Far enough above the requirement that I don't feel the need to mention it. Either that, or I lost count. :lol: :p

KBCraig

imported post

marshaul wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
My IQ is only one point shy of meeting the requirement for Mensa. What about yours?
Far enough above the requirement that I don't feel the need to mention it. Either that, or I lost count. :lol: :p
No offense to SFCRetired, but anyone "only one point shy" of Mensa qualification definitely shouldn't mention it.

On the other hand, getting Mensans to shut up about it is a challenge all its own, confirming that some high-IQ people are the dumbest people in the world. The best way to reply to a "Mensa name-dropper" is usually to mention that you wouldn't join a group whose standards are so low (1 in 50 qualify).

Mention Prometheus in a vague way, smile, and walk away.

partyncwby

imported post

The no fly list / no gun buy is absurd. Not only are known terrorists on the list, but common names for the simple fact that they're common. John Smith is on the list.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
For marshaul and KBCraig: your comments noted.  You missed the point of my mention of IQ.  I was not bragging, but trying to make the point that our military is one of the more intelligent (and best educated) in this world.
No, I actually got it, but I can never pass on an opportunity to poke fun at Mensa (and myself). :lol:

KBCraig

imported post

marshaul wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
For marshauland KBCraig: your comments noted. You missed the point of my mention of IQ. I was not bragging, but trying to make the point that our military is one of the more intelligent (and best educated)in this world.
No, I actually got it, but I can never pass on an opportunity to poke fun at Mensa (and myself). :lol:

Likewise. I was actually in the Army when I found out I qualified for Mensa based on my GRE scores.

That instantly removed any mystique the organization may have had. I'm smart, probably well above average in IQ, but I'm certainly no genius.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

There are different kinds of intelligence, and they come in a variety of forms...

Anyway, I think more pro-gun people should run for political office. POLITICS is where thepower is -- where it always has been -- not even the military has it becausethe military isat the service of politicians. As are the police and other LEOs.

So if any pro-gun peoplein this forum (or any other gun forum)have EVER thought about running for office (changing careers), DO SO...and stop complaining about what this sorry bureaucrat does or does not do...make the useless POS losethe nextelection, take his/her place and make changes.

That is the ONLY way to change things -- working peacefully within the system that is -- because the alternatives are more serious: Civil War II or Culture War I.

-- John D.

N00blet45

imported post

The point at which working within the system can no longer affect change is either very near or passed. I think that soon the only viable option will be violent opposition.

Back to the topic, this is just stupid. Have these people ever read the bill of rights? The fifth amendment has a part that goes, "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law." I don't see how a list created seemingly at random can be considered due process.